Re: Maxim 50 - Black Powder Supressor

shinzen wrote:
Marlene wrote:oh man I might need that stupid fucking thing
Makes two of us. One ugly piece of engineering..... but

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Right? ...But, who wants a "Pretty" gun anyway?
I was on the fence about muzzle loading. Both my Father and Grandfather had "build it yourself" kit rifles. This might be the bastard thing that brings me in. :evil:
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

p0lyhuman wrote:CA NJ and some other states have already filed lawsuits so any orders from those states have been refunded...:(
Sad, just sad. Yeah I can see the gangs scrambling to get their hands on these for all their turf was needs.

Aside from that, well it's a nifty novelty, but I don't see it revolutionizing much of anything, at least not in the short term.

(ETA: Apparently, I stand corrected. They are showing sold out status.)
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

TFB on the lawsuits.
Breaking: SilencerCo Maxim 50 Faces State Legal Challenges
A day after a dramatic product release that included “firearms” toting shooters carrying silencers moderators across the border into California, SilencerCo has announced that they are suspending sales to some states in the face of pending legal challenges. If you haven’t heard, the Maxim 50 is a muzzleloading rifle that includes a permanently attached silencer which theoretically should not fall under federal firearms laws. The company took to social media today to announce the news to customers:
Upon launching the Maxim 50, SilencerCo received several immediate legal challenges from authorities and lawyers in the states of New Jersey, Massachusetts, and California. Since we have no desire to place any consumer in a situation where they may get arrested and charged with a felony because their state defines a firearm differently than the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), we have placed orders from those states on hold and are refunding customers pending legal confirmation. We will update our customers as soon as we have multiple source verification.
SILENCERCO MAXIM 50 FACES LEGAL CHALLENGES:

The legal challenges most likely revolve around the fact that, although federal law does not consider muzzleloaders to be regulated firearms (1), some states have more restrictive laws, requiring them to be sold, transferred and possessed as if they were modern guns. If that is the case, even if permanently affixed, a device that deminshes the report of a primitive a firearm may be considered a silencer by legal definition.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

That is not the reason for the CA lawsuit, although if they see that they can prevent them from coming in that way, they will rush to do so. The paragraph following that one is likely the CA reasoning.
Not withstanding the definition of primitive arms or muzzleloaders, some states don’t differentiate the definition of silencer whether it’s intended use is on a modern firearm or not. A silencer is simply any device that reduces the report of a firearm.
At this point we'll probably have to call it the "Maxim 43"
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou