Gone over to the dark side

I was loafing at my LGS when I checked out the "Worst Gun in the Store" rack. Yes it really has a sign that says this. So off brand, beat up 22. Behind it was a BP rifle. I picked up it's price tag just to see how much it was. The salesman said, "I can let you have that for $40. I told him the tag said $50. He replied that he would "make it work--40 bucks out the door."
I said "if I have 40 buck in my purse I'll buy it." There was 2 twenty's there, so I am the proud owner of a CVA Bobcat in really good condition.

any advice, wisdom, or warning from any of you more experienced BP shooters would be greatly appreciated.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: Gone over to the dark side

Hiker wrote:I was loafing at my LGS when I checked out the "Worst Gun in the Store" rack. Yes it really has a sign that says this. So off brand, beat up 22. Behind it was a BP rifle. I picked up it's price tag just to see how much it was. The salesman said, "I can let you have that for $40. I told him the tag said $50. He replied that he would "make it work--40 bucks out the door."
I said "if I have 40 buck in my purse I'll buy it." There was 2 twenty's there, so I am the proud owner of a CVA Bobcat in really good condition.

any advice, wisdom, or warning from any of you more experienced BP shooters would be greatly appreciated.
I mentioned the Bobcat to my coworker. His response was, "Oh yeah, it's like Baby's First Muzzleloader."

Apparently they are a great intro to BP and your $40 was a decent price. That's all I can add.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Re: Gone over to the dark side

Hiker,
Welcome to the world of black powder!
I am no expert , but I have a few muzzle loaders and have been shooting them for a number of years.

#11 caps are usually the best for rifles... I Like CCI ( Magnum or non Magnum , either works fine.)
As a general rule one grain of powder per caliber:
.50 caliber equals 50 grains , 45 caliber , 45 grains etc... ( I'd use 2F for any caliber )
You will find that your rifle will like a certain load of powder ... some .50 calibers like 65 grains ...
so play around with the powder charge to see what it likes the best.
.15 patches in the caliber size is a good all around choice.
( for round ball shooting , you don't need patches for concials )

if your rifle has a slow twist it is better suited to round ball ( 1-56 , 1-66 , etc ... )
A fast twist is best for bullets ( 1-25 , 1-36 etc ... )
A twist rate of 1-48 is called a compromise twist and should work for either round ball or bullets.
Some fast twists work well with round ball and some slow twists work well with bullets ... so none of the above is engraved in stone.

A short starter may be helpful as one outfits .490 sized round ball ( .50 caliber ) may be closer to .492 and a tight fit in your bore.
When loading be sure to say to yourself :
Powder
Patch
Ball
This helps you remember to load correctly.
Use short strokes on your ram rod and grasp it near the muzzle.

Clean up is easy ... Hot soapy water down the bore ( with a wet patch ) and over the lock and nipple .. dry ... then oil .
enjoy your new rifle!
Andy
Edit to add:
When shooting before your first shot ( unloaded rifle ) ... be sure to "pop a cap" or three to blow out any oil and to help ensure ignition on your first shot
Follow me, I am the Infantry.