I'm a musketeer now!

While It's still technically a rifle...it's more dashing to write "musketeer" than: I got a black powder rifle. I have been musing about getting a kit, then this came long for less money, already assembled.
2.jpg
It's an 80's vintage CVA Hawken rifle in .50 cal that doesn't seem to have been fired much if at all. The bore seems clean and there are a few small rust spots. The double set trigger seems to be really touchy, it may need some more adjustment or perhaps a new sear.

It's time for a black powder day at the range!

:crockett: :crockett: :crockett: :crockett: :crockett: :crockett: :crockett: :crockett: :crockett:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Re: I'm a musketeer now!

If by a touchy trigger you mean the gun may go off if you look at the hair trigger wrong, that's the way it is.

Can you tell if you have a factory gun or a kit?

cdfingers, I've been eyeing a short barrel synthetic stock t/c 54 sidelock for $150. I've been wanting to get a Lyman Plains Game but they are about $700. I just can't bring myself to get the cheaper one.

curtism1234 wrote:If by a touchy trigger you mean the gun may go off if you look at the hair trigger wrong, that's the way it is.

Can you tell if you have a factory gun or a kit?

cdfingers, I've been eyeing a short barrel synthetic stock t/c 54 sidelock for $150. I've been wanting to get a Lyman Plains Game but they are about $700. I just can't bring myself to get the cheaper one.
Judging from the finish it looks like a factory gun. Does that mean anything?

drigeba wrote: Judging from the finish it looks like a factory gun. Does that mean anything?
Not really. In theory, I'd much rather have a factory rifle. With a kit, you don't know if some fool put it together or someone who really knows what they are doing. If it's the latter that put the kit together, then it's probable better than factory though as CVA quality in the 80's was spotty.

If it looks like factory, then it probably is; and that's just fine.

drigeba wrote:While It's still technically a rifle...it's more dashing to write "musketeer" than: I got a black powder rifle.
it's a rifled musket. originally, all long guns were muskets, then some were rifled, now we don't bother with the musket part.
oh, and congratulations on your entry into the elite of the shooting arts. you are now stinky, dirty, and have a ****-eating grin. wear it proudly.
Marlene wrote:All for one and one for cleaning guns in the bathtub!!
i use the garden hose and a funnel.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Inquisitor wrote:
drigeba wrote:
nigel wrote:Not only does it sound more dashing, it rolls off the tongue a lot easier than arquebusier. Congrats!
I think it would be fun to build a matchlock someday....
I have one I have never fired, replica japanese matchlock. Scary simple mechanism.
I'm probably a good tax return away from buying something like this...

I can't wait to give the range officer fits when I show up with it.

Got one of those I built from a kit. Great way to spend a winter day. Or 10. It's an embarrassing rifle. Once it's sighted in, any mistake is on the shooter. Take your time shooting, and you have one hole on the target. Maxiball for hunting, patched round ball for fun.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Mason wrote:Do you know what the barrel twist is?
I have been looking into this. The CVA load chart says 1:48 and the replacement barrels from Deer Creek are also 1:48. At some point i'll verify. If it is indeed 1:48 then I can accurately shoot non-round projectiles.

It will be fun to figure out such a slow twist. I guess i'll put the cleaning jag on my ramrod, put a piece of blue tape at 24" on the ramrod and slowly push it down the bore. I the piece of tape is 180 degrees from where it went into the bore I have a 1:48 twist..
you gotta like octagonal barrels for the ease in calculating the rotation of the patch.

I have gotten off about 20 rounds whilst plinking with the rifle so far.. hope to get it to the range to sight it in formally soon. If I can get good enough with it i'll apply for a muzzleload deer tag next year...

While I'm not planning to go full rendezvous-style with my gear, I now have a definite plan for what to do with the cape if i am fortunate enough to harvest a deer this season. I'll tan it and make a possibles bag and some other pouches for my stuff...

It would be fun to go hunting in full period dress, though.

Sighted the rifle in at the 25 yard line. It was a hoot waiting for the smoke to clear so i could see my target...
sight-inc.jpg
.490 patched ball over 45 grains of Hodgdon 777 3F

Clearly, I'm ready to start moving that target out further....