how much trouble to convert BACK to flint?

local antique shop has a model 1816 smoothbore musket in fair shape at a fair price, converted to percussion at some point. if it was flint it would be adequate to finish up the early end of my collection (US standard issue long guns) assuming i could get a lock from DWG or TOTW or someplace, is it plausible to convert it back to flint? or should i just keep looking?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: how much trouble to convert BACK to flint?

lurker wrote:local antique shop has a model 1816 smoothbore musket in fair shape at a fair price, converted to percussion at some point. if it was flint it would be adequate to finish up the early end of my collection (US standard issue long guns) assuming i could get a lock from DWG or TOTW or someplace, is it plausible to convert it back to flint? or should i just keep looking?
Hi Lurker,

How was it converted? For example, if it's a mule ear lock, it's pretty easy.

If the vent has been altered, it may be harder, though you could drill it (if necessary) and install a vent liner and new lock.

Some of the 1816s were converted (updated) to caplock prior to the Civil War for continued military service. Make sure you're not looking at a military conversion, as the military conversion might just be worth some money.

Regards,

Josh

Re: how much trouble to convert BACK to flint?

Wabatuckian wrote:
lurker wrote:local antique shop has a model 1816 smoothbore musket in fair shape at a fair price, converted to percussion at some point. if it was flint it would be adequate to finish up the early end of my collection (US standard issue long guns) assuming i could get a lock from DWG or TOTW or someplace, is it plausible to convert it back to flint? or should i just keep looking?
Hi Lurker,

How was it converted? For example, if it's a mule ear lock, it's pretty easy.

If the vent has been altered, it may be harder, though you could drill it (if necessary) and install a vent liner and new lock.

Some of the 1816s were converted (updated) to caplock prior to the Civil War for continued military service. Make sure you're not looking at a military conversion, as the military conversion might just be worth some money.

Regards,

Josh
thanks, don't know, will go look at it again in a couple of days. i'll take my camera.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?