Wheellock pistol?

Thanks very much in advance for your advice.

Where is a good wheellock pistol? I saw this one
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_p ... 623%29.htm
but are there others of comparable or better quality that aren't so darned pricey?

I would have to get something assembled or mostly assembled, because I am not handy. I figure a metal tube full of explosive is probably not the best thing for me to schlep around with.

Are there wheellock owners out there who can share their wisdom?

And how would one hide a purchase of this size from their significant other?

Re: Wheellock pistol?

I don't know of any others currently for sale, and honestly this does not seem inordinately expensive for such a limited-production set. It would cost far more to have one hand-made. As for concealing a purchase of this magnitude from a spouse- I don't recommend it! They have a way of discovering these things, usually at the worst possible time...
"Aim for their foil beanies! It's the only way to be sure..."
https://tinkertalksguns.wordpress.com
https://www.facebook.com/michael.t.pearce.7

TinkerPearce wrote:I don't know of any others currently for sale, and honestly this does not seem inordinately expensive for such a limited-production set. It would cost far more to have one hand-made.
Yeah, it's low production and it's a very complex mechanism with lots of hand fitting compared to a flintlock or percussion. That makes it expensive.

[img]As%20for%20concealing%20a%20purchase%20of%20this%20magnitude%20from%20a%20spouse-%20I%20don't%20recommend%20it!%20They%20have%20a%20way%20of%20discovering%20these%20things,%20usually%20at%20the%20worst%20possible%20time...[/img]

This is why my Wife and I have separate accounts - as long as the bills are paid, we can each use our money on whatever we want without the other being bothered :D

A Rifle Shoppe "kit" is nothing more than a parts set. Aimed at professional builders. The first thing the builder will have to do with the assembled lock is disassemble it because all of the mounting holes will need to be drilled and tapped. Plus the lock will be very rough and need polishing and fitted into the stock. These are very advanced projects and if done very well will be worth a small fortune when completed. Working on the wheel lock is like working on a clock.

I want one pretty badly too. There were some product guns made about 15ish years ago, but I understand the springs in them were all bad and broke too easily when winding them. Also, the rifle shoppe has a terrible reputation for actually filling orders in anything close to a reasonable time.

valen wrote:I want one pretty badly too. There were some product guns made about 15ish years ago, but I understand the springs in them were all bad and broke too easily when winding them. Also, the rifle shoppe has a terrible reputation for actually filling orders in anything close to a reasonable time.
It's the same thing with Track of the wolf, If you order one of their kits make sure every part is available and not on back order, it could take months for it to be available