Re: 9mm vs arrows

9 is fine. Arrows are still more than adequate for penetration, even practice points.

Until you start looking at hydrostatic shock, over 2000fps, bows are just as good at making holes as guns, and much more quietly.

My high school history teacher brought in our librarian to talk about Vietnam. Apparently he'd been special forces, and one of the things he brought was a Vietnamese-style crossbow. Looked like an English longbow mounted on a stock. He claimed that they could still penetrate sandbags at 100 yards with it, while the 5.56 would bounce off. Reinforced my early preference for archery. There are still some great B&W Army training videos doing similar comparisons online. Sure, KE=1/2mv^2, but momemum=mv, and an arrow carries far more.

Cheaper than NFA, too.

Is that a longbow in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Another way to look at is bows don't need silencers. New compounds are quieter than a cat sneeze.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Damn straight, different tools. At the end of the day, we all pray that we never need to shoot. That every time we do, it is for sport. That includes hunting - if your next meal depends on making the shot, things aren't good. Either way, putting holes in a target or putting meat on the table, archery often has significant advantages.

There are situations where a gun is more practical. Long ranges. Bird hunting. Close quarters defensive situations. Multiple assailants. Concealment. Bears.

Some of those, I'd still rather a blade. But not for birds or bears.

CDFingers wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:45 am What it is, is a big tool box we have when we learn to use multiple tools.

CDFingers
This is true, but I would never want to take a bow, a blade or a club, all potentially deadly weapons, to a gun fight. If stealth is the primary concern, then that is what suppressors are for.

If I want to hit something small like a tennis ball at 25 yards, I'll use my recurve, not a hand gun. With a compound and sights, I can hit the butt of a .22 shell at 25 yards.

You use your bow to fight your way to your hand gun, which you fight to your rifle with, with which you finally and successfully assault the beer cooler.

Just sayin'.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack