Post Equipment Pix

The compound is made by Precision Shooting Equipment, set at 54 lbs. It has a Flipper arrow rest. The recurve is a Pearson Cougar, marked at 48 lbs, and it also has a Flipper arrow rest. Then there's the three fingered shooting glove and the quiver on its belt hanger and its lock blade knife in sheath, with arrows.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Post Equipment Pix

Similar in CA; here cities can make regs about archery, so in my town I can shoot in my back yard as long as the arrows stay in my back yard.

Hunting seasons for archery usually opens earlier than for guns. Each game animal has different regs, including whether archery may be used. You can hunt several kinds of birds with archery.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/

I like the bow-stringer in the pic above. I did not pic mine, but I have one. Totally convenient for recurves.

CDFingers

It shoots consistently for me. Gun show buy for $30 I think in '02 or '03. Same with the recurve, but a couple years later. Stole both, I think now, for such low prices. I was shooting today, and I really love shooting the recurve, with its immediate visceral feedback, but I'm more consistent and accurate with the compound.

CDFingers

My old friend from K-Mart (I think I paid $90 in 1990, thanks Fred) hanging out with my newer, far pricier friend.

Bear Black Panther 50-65#, currently set at 65, 50% let off.

Benjamin Marauder .25. Currently set at around 50 FT-LBS at the muzzle.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese
Attachments
Backyard Buddies 3.JPG

I really like that air rifle.

Showing my ignorance about compounds, what is "50% let off"? Sure, coulda googled it, but I'd rather ask here. Might learn something interesting.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:I really like that air rifle.

Showing my ignorance about compounds, what is "50% let off"? Sure, coulda googled it, but I'd rather ask here. Might learn something interesting.

CDFingers
Supposedly, at full draw I'm only holding 32.5 LBS in tension.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

CDFingers wrote:C'mon, archers. We need to see a few more bows. And another bow stringer. ;-)

CDFingers
If I didn't live in the boonies with dial up internet service, I would post a pic of mine. Bagged a nice 10 point this year, with a rifle :D .

Just tennis balls and round bales with the recurves.

James

Just start the upload before you go to bed. It should be done by morning. ;-)

I think arrows from my compound would be left inside the round bale, which is larger than the rectangular ones--my compound's arrows pass straight through dry, rectangular bales.

CDFingers

I bet that bow does not vibrate your arm. I had one once that somehow was not balanced. I gave it away, but I tried those mushroom shaped dampers, string silencers, all kinds of grips, and still it would just shake my arm. Very unpleasant.

Recurves are just so much smoother and more natural than are compounds. The compound is a machine. Has no real personality, just mechanical features, options, effects. The recurve, though, that is a natural thing. Even if it's bolted together, the archer still feels the increasing energy being stored. Not so with the compound. At the end of draw, it is somehow counter intuitive, being easier at the end than at the beginning.

I have not yet decided what I'm doing to my brain by shooting these two types at the same time--"it's full of stars!"

CDFingers

[quote="CDFingers"]I bet that bow does not vibrate your arm. I had one once that somehow was not balanced. I gave it away, but I tried those mushroom shaped dampers, string silencers, all kinds of grips, and still it would just shake my arm. Very unpleasant.

Recurves are just so much smoother and more natural than are compounds. The compound is a machine. Has no real personality, just mechanical features, options, effects. The recurve, though, that is a natural thing. Even if it's bolted together, the archer still feels the increasing energy being stored. Not so with the compound. At the end of draw, it is somehow counter intuitive, being easier at the end than at the beginning.

I have not yet decided what I'm doing to my brain by shooting these two types at the same time--"it's full of stars!"

CDFingers[/quote

No hand shock and it's quiet, if you keep the brace height at or a little above 81/4"s.

Other than the Bear Blacktail compound riser being a little on the heavy side, it's a pleaasure to shoot.

James

Yeah, I bet the riser does add a tad of weight. My recurve is like picking up a serving of cotton candy, whereas my compound is like picking up a WWI bolt rifle.

I would totally love to shoot arrows every day, but I'm certain I would wreck my body. It's kind of nice anticipating another shooting day. Considering the probable alternative, I'll accept the timing of my shoots.

What are you going to do with the deer skin? Around here I think I'll buy a tanned one to use in projects.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:Yeah, I bet the riser does add a tad of weight. My recurve is like picking up a serving of cotton candy, whereas my compound is like picking up a WWI bolt rifle.

I would totally love to shoot arrows every day, but I'm certain I would wreck my body. It's kind of nice anticipating another shooting day. Considering the probable alternative, I'll accept the timing of my shoots.

What are you going to do with the deer skin? Around here I think I'll buy a tanned one to use in projects.

CDFingers
The deer skin was donated to the coyotes. I kept the approx. 60lbs. of venison.

James