shopping list for jan 2021

i've paid off my credit card purchases for december and now it's unencumbered. soooo...
since ammo and reloading components are rare to nonexistent, i'm looking at other things i've been coveting for the last month or three. here's the tentative list.
repro 1874 mckeever cartridge bax, $40, S&S firearms. they have some nice "project" guns too, but no, thanks. https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L34
M6 bayonet and scabbard for m14 type rifle, unknown manuf, (taiwan? phillippines?), $59 sarcoinc OH NO OUT OF STOCK! waited too long, dammit. :cry: https://www.sarcoinc.com/u-s-model-m6-m ... -scabbard/ note to self: strike while iron is hot. :cry:
here's another, known provenance, $ not too bad. maybe https://aotp.com/product-category/ii-ed ... -m5-m6-m7/
now that i'm thinking on it, the list may grow.
Last edited by lurker on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: shopping list for jan 2021

Congrats on getting the card paid off, condolence on the disappointments.

Nothing big on my list except ammo purchases when they become available. Considering my income prospects took a serious dive in October, I’m going to start thinking about refreshing my resume. Turned 61 today and I had hoped I would finish my professional career at my current office. I’m still lucky, we have no significant dept. Still went from full time salaried to part time hourly employee. Had a grand total of three hours this past week. LoL. My privileged fun expenses are out the window for now. I did most of my gun related purchases in the fall, I was suspecting I would be in this position. It’s amazing how correct I was. LoL. Might eventually look for a sling for the 308. Other than that just going enjoy y’all posting about new purchases.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:38 am Might eventually look for a sling for the 308. Other than that just going enjoy y’all posting about new purchases.
i've replaced the chinese cotton sling that came with poly, pm your addy and it's yours
LUGO2419.JPG
, happy birthday.
Last edited by lurker on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lurker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:41 am
sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:38 am Might eventually look for a sling for the 308. Other than that just going enjoy y’all posting about new purchases.
i've replaced the chinese cotton sling that came with poly, pm your addy and it's yours(if i can find it), happy birthday.
Wow thanks, kind offer!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:38 am Congrats on getting the card paid off, condolence on the disappointments.

Nothing big on my list except ammo purchases when they become available. Considering my income prospects took a serious dive in October, I’m going to start thinking about refreshing my resume. Turned 61 today and I had hoped I would finish my professional career at my current office. I’m still lucky, we have no significant dept. Still went from full time salaried to part time hourly employee. Had a grand total of three hours this past week. LoL. My privileged fun expenses are out the window for now. I did most of my gun related purchases in the fall, I was suspecting I would be in this position. It’s amazing how correct I was. LoL. Might eventually look for a sling for the 308. Other than that just going enjoy y’all posting about new purchases.
Well...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :hbd:

sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:44 am
i've replaced the chinese cotton sling that came with poly, pm your addy and it's yours(if i can find it), happy birthday.
Wow thanks, kind offer!
think of it as helping me make room for new stuff. i appreciate your sacrifice. :whistle:

lurker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 am
sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:44 am
Wow thanks, kind offer!
think of it as helping me make room for new stuff. i appreciate your sacrifice. :whistle:
:love: :roflmao: Any sacrifice for a comrade!

SamDaniels wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:47 am
sikacz wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:38 am Congrats on getting the card paid off, condolence on the disappointments.

Well...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :hbd:
Thanks Sam!

i'll get it out in your direction "any day now". it may not work for you, the military sling is (i believe) an inch and a half wide, sporting sling swivels are 1".

ETA: i'm seeing GI slings are inch and a quarter.
Last edited by lurker on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:36 pm i'll get it out in your direction "any day now". it may not work for you, the military sling is (i believe) an inch and a half wide, sporting sling swivels are 1".
Thank you again! It’ll work.

About the only thing currently on my wish list firearms wise would be some 2¾" 20 gauge small bird shot shells. When such critters actually return I'll try to pick some up. I still have some 2¾" & 3" #4 bird shot on hand and that would do should I get a chance to go WalkAbout before supplies return to this universe.

And a towel just in case.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Sympathies. Worried for years about the issues of ageism and long-term job security. Ain't no such thing in capitalism, American style.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice for the collective, lurker. :)

I haven't bought much in the past year due to economic fears. I planned to shoot and buy ammo (in that order) but ended up buying a 357 Sig conversion barrel with a little 357 Sig ammo months ago and shot very little ammo. I don't see ammo prices getting better this year, so I did the only rational thing and decided I will trade off something this year. Don't know what, but probably will trade a Colt LE6920 or PSA AR for something. I did buy some ammo boxes this month to replace the shoe boxes I had in a closet. That is the extent of my shopping list unless ammo comes back to Earth.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

also shipped a box of history books to a fellow history nerd. postmistress just rolled her eyes, then groaned as she weighed it.
ETA: aotp just sent me a pic of the m6 and scabbard. a little worn but i'll take it. it's just patina.
ETA: aotp accepted payment, says it will ship tomorrow.

they came! both mckeever box and bayonet w/scabbard arrived today, so i'll regale you with pics for a couple of posts. first, the bayonet.
the m6 was unique to the m14, and is comparatively hard to find. i had some issues with the vendor, so i can't enthusiastically endorse them, but they did deliver the product.
LUGO2431.JPG
and it fits
LUGO2432.JPG
and appears to be actual USGI.
LUGO2441.JPG
now, the issues. the website showed 3 m6 bayonets with scabbards, 1@$78 and 2@$88. their website gets your order and email but can't check you out, says they will contact you. so i ordered the $78 and waited a day and a half, hearing nothing. so i emailed them saying i wanted to pay by cc. now he tells me he only has 1 m6, and he wants $98+$15 s&h for it. i don't like the bait and switch, but ok let's just do this. he says to call him with my cc# and he'll ship it thursday. which he apparently did, but said nothing, no notification, no tracking #, nothing. so it arrived today and is as described so i can't complain too much, but still, unprofessional.
Last edited by lurker on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the mckeever box was less scary, standard e-commerce experience, almost too easy. it's a well-made repro model 1874. apparently there were 4 or more versions of this, hardly surprising since the basic design was in service for 36+/- years, with at least 2 different cartridges, 45/70 and 30-40 krag, until 1910 or thereabouts.
front. note that the US oval is crooked, this is the most egregious issue i've seen on it.
LUGO2433.JPG
back
LUGO2434.JPG
opened
LUGO2436.JPG
Last edited by lurker on Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

some time ago a nice person (thanks again, marlene!) sent me an actual mckeever box for no particular reason. and i thought it worthwhile to compare them:
front: closure tab is gone. note the bulge on the side, added sometime after the first model, a pocket for a rifle tool
LUGO2438.JPG
back: belt loops gone. note the russet color, adopted sometime after 1890, maybe with the krag rifle.
LUGO2437.JPG
side: just found out about this today, place of origin and date opposite the tool pocket: rock island arsenal, 1909, so very very late model.
LUGO2440.JPG