What mods have you done to your firearm(s)?

Some of us always want bigger, faster, more, right? I'm a hobbyist of several interests and I always indulge myself in upgrades. It's a problem...
I put an Apex trigger improvement kit in my S&W SD40VE. It definitely improved it.
So as the title asks, What have you done and why? Did it turn out the way you expected?
Let's hear from you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TypicallyAtypical on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What mods have you done?

I build tube amplifiers. Stereo and stringed instrument. I'm constantly putzing.

I also assemble electric guitars. I'd like to say "build" but to say that would be a falsehood because I haven't the tools to shape and properly "cut" necks and frets and stuff. Bodies, no problem, but necks are ... special.

So I'm always rethinking pickups (I make those too) for guitars, and stuff like modifications to an amplifier signal path.

Guns however, only thing I've done is reshape triggers and polish various parts to smooth out the "feel"....
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Um, rolandson, "Putz" is Yiddish for penis, as is "Schmuck". Guess what "putzing around" implies....
I think you want to say "futzing around". "futz" is also Yiddish and it mean everything from tinker to wasting time doing trivial stuff.
"Stop futzing with your makeup! You look gorgeous, let's go, we'll be late!"
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I guess I am just putzing around then... damn!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:02 am Um, rolandson, "Putz" is Yiddish for penis, as is "Schmuck". Guess what "putzing around" implies....
I think you want to say "futzing around". "futz" is also Yiddish and it mean everything from tinker to wasting time doing trivial stuff.
"Stop futzing with your makeup! You look gorgeous, let's go, we'll be late!"
excuse me but do I suggest what you should do for fun? where you should put your interest? 2A 120 V @ 60Hz...
don't knock it till you've tried it big boy...

And I'll have you know I went to school with a kid named Schmuck. And yeah, he was a total dick.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Re: What mods have you done to your firearm(s)?

Putz can also be a bit stronger than "doofus" not going all the way to dick. One thing I totally dig about Yiddish is the subtle gradations of strength and description it provides. But on to mods.

In a way I'm with rolandson on gun mods not electro-stim, but a bit more adventurous on the gun side: If I can screw it together I'm'a gonna try it. But if I have to work the metal, nah. I will mod the heck out of wood, though. Well, I did take a ceramic knife sharpening stick and took off the sharp edges on my 1911 for better holster sliding. I put grips on some hand guns. I bolted together a 7.62x54r carbine that has parts from every arsenal that made Mosin Nagant rifles. Not much modding, but many stocks.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

:sarc: everyone knows that before uncle sam accepts a weapon for service, they are perfect: all the bugs have been gotten out and there's no possibility of improvement. :/sarc:
i'll mod accessories like bipods and scope mounts but not the guns. there are many, many threads here on the forum.

ok, one thing. the sliding chamber sleeve on the replica sharps paper-cutter rifle and carbine cannot be fully removed from the chamber unless....
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

And a Schmuck is worse than a Putz because he's smarter. Bill Barr is a Schmuck, as is Stephen Miller, and Steve Bannon.
Rudy Guiliani is a Putz, as is Donnie, Jr. and this guy Paxton, because they are so dumb it's hard to believe they remember to breathe.
Eric is a Pissher, basically a snot-nosed kid.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

"I am firm; he is stubborn; you are pig headed." Might have been Bennet Cerf but can't find the reference.

I found a few threads on another Mosin mod I did.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25822&hilit=mosin+ ... tart=25%20...

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... Mosin+camo+ CDFingers

Neat to know I have this gnarly accurate 200m .30 cal rifle and scope combo. I mean, I know it's in there, but I'd forgotten how accurate that barrel is.

CDFingers

I can't help but giggle at the stellar marketing not of selecting the name Micro Roni. All's I can see is tiny noodles. Dudes.
sikacz wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:28 am I prefer to focus on the object. Language is always in movement and where words start is not always where it ends and so it is with meaning as well.
It is totally true the the meaning of a word is its use in the common speech. Alphabetic languages (English, Finnish) change more quickly than do symbolic languages (Chinese, Ancient Egyptian). I love that shit.

CDFingers

geno wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:43 am I created possibly the world's first three wheel wheelbarrow in October.
if that started life as a two-wheeler, and it's like mine, the plastic tub won't last. it's still a two-wheeler, but i had to replace the tub with a steel tub.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Even though I am a tinkerer by nature I was pretty hesitant to mod anything on my firearms because I was afraid that a little mistake would make it blow up when the trigger gets pulled. But after slowly taking some things apart I realized that it is just like a bike; it is all mechanical and pretty straightforward once you learn about the innards. So I ended up changing out several triggers from the glock-style trigger safety SA/DA to a SAO with a much shorter pull. Feels great and way less inaccuracy down-left as a result.

I can't seem to help modifying my firearms. I enjoy messing with them as much as shooting them.

I've now completed installation of a Cajun Gun Works pro package on my SP01 along with some part polishing. Holy shit that SA is the best thing ever (based on my modest experience). I believe it is mostly attributed to the recut hammer. Fortunately, the process went pretty smoothly over the course of a few evenings. My PCR is at Cajun, so I can compare my work with theirs in a couple of months when it comes back.
20210109_160312_copy_2268x3024.jpg