My latest project (1911-380 / 1911-22)

I have a Browning 1911-380 that I like a lot. Then for some reason, I got to thinking of getting a 22 (the Liberal Gun Club trainer training programme had a lot to do with that).

I started looking at the Browning 1911-22. I thought it would go well with the 390. Then I got to thinking a bit more. I have carefully gone over the part numbers for each. Other than the slide assembly, with all the parts contained therein, the only other parts that have unique part numbers are the slide release and the ejector assembly.

In a deviation from the full size 1911, the Browning has the ejector assembly secured by a screw that is accessible with the slide off. I did it, I ordered a slide assembly, an ejector, and the slide stop for the 22.

They arrived today and I had a chance to look at the parts. I am not sure why the slide release and ejector are different, I can not see a difference between them. The 22 slide went on and all looks good. I will try to get out and test it this weekend.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

Re: My latest project (1911-380 / 1911-22)

I have an answer! Yes, it works!

I was curious, so I started by only replacing the slide assembly. It worked fine. Out of several magazines fired I had a single failure of the slide to lock back, so there might be something to the 22 slide release having a different part number. However, with only a single failure to lock back, it wasn't something that I could test in any meaningful way.

One thing I found interesting was that the felt recoil seemed to be similar with both. This could be explained by the 22 being a straight blowback, with a much lighter slide, while the 380 used a locking breech.

In all, I am pleased that it worked.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40