Re: went to the gun show today

For the last few years, every time I go to a gun show, they have shrank in the number of gun tables, in favor of eyeglass cleaners, cheap knives, and assorted other junk. A big part of that is that there are fewer and fewer mom and pop gun shops. The shops that survive carry less and less inventory and have become distribution points for large corporate gun sellers like Bud's Gun Shop. Their mantra is "We can get anything you want."

I used to look forward to going to every show, now I have totally abandoned one as a waste of time and money, and only attend another one about once a year. The days of the shows being a place to to get a bargain have gone. The only purchases I have made at shows in the last couple of years has been private purchases from individuals carrying in pieces that I have been interested in.

I live in Florida, and I wouldn't be caught dead in a gun show until the spread of the virus is contained.

damnitman wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:51 am For the last few years, every time I go to a gun show, they have shrank in the number of gun tables, in favor of eyeglass cleaners, cheap knives, and assorted other junk. A big part of that is that there are fewer and fewer mom and pop gun shops. The shops that survive carry less and less inventory and have become distribution points for large corporate gun sellers like Bud's Gun Shop. Their mantra is "We can get anything you want."

I used to look forward to going to every show, now I have totally abandoned one as a waste of time and money, and only attend another one about once a year. The days of the shows being a place to to get a bargain have gone. The only purchases I have made at shows in the last couple of years has been private purchases from individuals carrying in pieces that I have been interested in.

I live in Florida, and I wouldn't be caught dead in a gun show until the spread of the virus is contained.
Don't forget the beef jerky and off-brand "survival" buckets and Trump stuff. Lots of that at gun shows.

I assume they will have elixers and potions that "kill" the virus now, too.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Yeah...the Gun Show Thing Jumped the Shark here about 5 years ago for me. Nothing but junk and cheap junk at that. Used to be worth the cover charge to browse and maybe pick up once fired .32 acp or whatever but the last time I went like 3 years ago it was pathetic. *Plus* I have to get a metal detector run over my body to prove I wasn't armed/carrying concealed and there we guys handing loaded guns to guys at the door as they gave up their CC pieces which is just asking for someone to have an negligent discharge.

The overall level of gun handling savvy was clearly missing...not interested anymore.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Didn't think of that...hell, it's scary enough going to the grocery store. I can only imagine how many people refuse to wear masks at a Gun Show. :no: :wavecry:

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

i probably haven't been to a gun show in 10 years or more. We used to have amazing gun shows where you could find just about anything. that's how my dad rebuilt a shotgun was just browsing through parts baskets at the gun shows. now there are like half a dozen tables of guns and bunches of tables of junk. its more a flea market than a gun show and to have to pay like $15 just to get in, its not worth it.

as an aspiring collector and someone who knows a guy who loves to collect firearms gun shows are good to find weird shit however you really have to do your homework before hand. If someone is selling an Albanian, Russian, or even rarer an East German SKS which can go for tens of thousands of dollars for a collector, you have to really know what you're looking at. Make sure all the parts are matching, make sure that overpriced SKS is not a Nornico Russian stock. The benefit they have over sites like gun broker is you can see the quality before you buy. They certainly have their purpose.
"There are dozens of us. DOZENS"

Gun shows around here are populated mostly by travelling vendors trying to offload their corny junk to bubbas. I went several years ago specifically because I was looking for a gen 3 glock mag. I found it, but it cost me the exact same price as the newest generation mag. Because it was a smaller show, it didn’t even have much of the interesting older stuff.

I used to think that they’d have better prices than large gun stores, but I’m wiser today.
Glad that federal government is boring again.