Re: First gun you shot, first gun you bought

CDFingers wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:10 am When my dad first taught us to clean, we cut up old t shirts for patches. 3 in 1 oil. Hehe.

CDFingers
Funny, there's a seriously long discussion about whether or not one should ever clean a .22 cal rifle over at thehighroad.org

Perhaps thats why my 10/22 trigger group is messed up, cus I cleaned it. But I believe it's more so about the barrel.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 am Funny, there's a seriously long discussion about whether or not one should ever clean a .22 cal rifle over at thehighroad.org

Perhaps thats why my 10/22 trigger group is messed up, cus I cleaned it. But I believe it's more so about the barrel.
I just pull a boresnake through the barrel a couple times with a little Balistol and call it good with my .22 rifles. My Ruger Blackhawk .22 revolver needs a thorough cleaning after 60 rounds.
Crow
Minute Of Average

Crow wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:48 am
tonguengroover wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 am Funny, there's a seriously long discussion about whether or not one should ever clean a .22 cal rifle over at thehighroad.org

I just pull a boresnake through the barrel a couple times with a little Balistol and call it good with my .22 rifles. My Ruger Blackhawk .22 revolver needs a thorough cleaning after 60 rounds.
Crow
As for a cleaning regimen, I was taught in AJROTC (high school) to clean the thing every time it came off the range.

I did that for a while with my pistols when I first got them (fourteen months or so, now), but have slacked off a bit so that I inspect the barrel if the thing has been in the holster a few days between cleanings and before shooting, and if the barrel isn't obstructed, life goes on.

I had a feed problem with my AR-platform a few months ago, and tracked it to the polymer coating on the steel casings not getting brushed out of the chamber, so rather than sell off the remaining rounds, I use them for plinking and range trips of less than two hundred rounds, and clean the chamber when it comes home.

All of that gets done from the breech end of the barrel. I was a little surprised when I read the manual on the Rossi Rio Bravo (22LR lever-action), and the only cleaning even mentioned is to run a brush in from the muzzle end, run a few patches with CLP until they come out clean, and go on with life. I can't bring myself to look in the muzzle end of a barrel unless the barrel is completely separated from the rest of the parts, but...
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Cleaning is no longer necessary for the preservation of the firearm. The "clean immediately" is a LONG holdover from the days of mercuric priming and corrosive ammunition. We haven't had that in the US for a long time (exception being surplus ammo). These days you clean as needed, not out of ritual.

As for never cleaning a .22, I can see that. Unless accuracy falls off, or the function of the gun is compromised you don't really have to clean a .22 (or any other gun for that matter). Of course if itty-bitty groups is what you're seeking, then you do whatever produces said groups in your gun.

Modern ammunition is a pretty wonderful thing!!
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

First gun I shot: the M16 with the .22LR conversion in the US Air Force, during Basic Training. Freakin' jam-o-matic. Not even sure I was shooting at the right target that first time.

First *real* gun I shot: the M16A2 with standard 5.56 NATO ammo. Scared the hell out of me every time the guy next to me on the range fired his rifle, due to the noise. M16's are LOUD!

First gun I bought...I'm not sure anymore. But it was a revolver of some sort.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

I don't know what the first gun I shot was, but it was a revolver and I think it was .32 something. I was only about 7 years old at the time and my mother was dating a guy who took us to a range one day.

The first gun I ever bought was my Ruger Mini-14. I wanted a semi-automatic rifle for home defense, and at the time Pres. Obama had just been eleected and the fear mongering of a new assault rifle ban got to me and convinced me to make a purchase. I picked the Mini-14 because

a) commonly available ammunition
b) availability of large magazines
c) reputation for reliability even when abused
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

The Mini-14 meets all of those criteria. Furthermore, Ruger was having a sale on the standard-capacity 20-round magazine for that firearm at that time. Therefore, when you bought yours, you picked a good time.

You picked a good time for another reason as well. Turns out that, after 2006, Ruger had retooled their Mini-14 manufacturing, so the Mini-14's coming out by the time Obama got elected were the better, more accurate ones.

Used to know someone with a model-year 2000 Mini-14. Compared it to mine, also bought at around the same time you bought yours. Yeah, the old ones were like AK-47's with regard to precision. Basically, minute-of-wild-hog at 50-100 yards. :-) The Mini-14's made after the 2006 tooling can do about 1.5 to 2 MOA. Not great, but not horrible, either. It is a *ranch* rifle, never was meant as a precision shooter. It's basically what happens when someone designs an M1A, with AK reliability, for a 'Murrican intermediate cartridge. But, yeah, you can abuse 'em and they'll still keep right on hummin'. In a self-defense situation, which is what a Mini-14 is really for, (coyote defense, mountain lion defense, 2-legged defense, that sort of thing), that becomes a MAJOR plus.

Interesting note: they did come out with a "Mini-14 Target Rifle" edition at about the same time, with a heavy barrel and a harmonic compensator. When tuned in, that rifle will shoot about 1 MOA, which for a Mini-14, is really good. The original manuals said that either .223 Rem or 5.56 NATO was A-OK. Then they changed that later on to 223 Rem only (never was sure why). But the Target Rifle edition, being a Mini-14, will likewlse go and go and go.

I'd say you made a very good purchase as your first gun. And that's coming from a guy who likes AR's. Gotta give respect to Ruger on that one.