The post-pandemic, approximately-35 grain dime

Just before the pandemic, I was loading some .45 LC for my Vaquero and chasing the proper crimp for my .45 ACP for my Springer. Almost a year and a half ago. Somehow where I was in the process became frozen in time, and everything had stood mostly as it was then. Well, I says. I'd best get back out there. Still sitting there were 50 rounds of each all nicely primed, each in their own 50 round box. In the wooden tray lay a pile of 230 gr LRN of the special roundness reserved for the 1911. But things were not as nice as they at first seemed because possums.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62230&p=842743&hili ... ms#p842743

Evidence of their visits punctuated the bench, and my scale had been knocked off the tool box--I put the scale up at eye level on my old VW tool box, as I no longer have that van. The tools integrated nicely into my larger tool box but for the 17 mm hex key, which would make a great melee weapon. So, they'd knocked off the scale. Since the scale is about twenty years old, the glue that held the graduated scales had dried and hardened. The shock of getting knocked off popped both graduated scales right off the frame. So much fun. Now the scale appeared to need an epic calibration check. I glued them back on to where they appeared to go. I weighed a few things and got puzzled. I needed something smaller than the 250 gr check weight that came with this old RCBS balance. I read where a dime weighed about 35 grains.

As I weighed several dimes, I discovered that the scale was off now by 1.4 grains. On this balance, you get tenths of a grain by rolling a graduated weight along a graduated scale and lining up little lines with each other. You can get to 0.05 grains fairly reliably. Luckily there are threads that let me take it down below the zero. So I rolled it back so that now the arrow balances at the zero where it's supposed to. Just so I would not forget, I wrote "Add 1.4 gr to pan" on tape and stuck it right by the pan. So, enough for today before it gets hotter than the hinges of Hades out there.

I hear the call of the reloading shed. After all, we're past the All Star Break and the Giants are in it. Love to load to a ball game on the radio. Perhaps I shall wake up inspired on the morrow to get back out there for a few innings.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: The post-pandemic, approximately-35 grain dime

I was out there today so thought I could snag a pic. If you look closely, today it's add 1.3 grains. Mid-90's. I did the sign a few days ago above 100. Science. Which keeps beer cold.

P1010198_1.JPG

I know this is pretty old school when compared to the digital scales that weigh to the closest gnat's eyelash out to seven significant figures--whether they're possum-proof remains to be seen but not by me. In the pic you can see the white labels that fell off. It all packs in real nice inside the frame, and a plastic cover slips down through those slots and clicks into that big slot in the middle. Tool box used to be in the '59 VW transporter and is older than my son--who is in much better shape. He lives indoors last I checked.

CDFingers

CowboyT wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:32 pm That looks very much like my RCBS 10-10 scale, which happens to be an Ohaus unit. Is yours likewise an Ohaus? If so, those are generally good scales.
Yes, an Ohaus 10-10, says it on the plastic case I drug out from under the bench. Good eye. It's danged sturdy.

CDFingers

Wh not just get a good old Lee safety scale for $30? Ive been using mine for 15 years. However the do pack it up in the original box after each use as to avoid any child or animal tampering with it.

You my forget about the 1.4 gr differential some day…why is this sticker here? We reloaders are a frugal bunch for sure, but a scale being off isn’t the place to skimp. However, it may not be even you.

My former neighbor (now elderly) gave me a bunch of his old reloading/casting gear as he was happy just to see it getting used. He could not remember many of the basics … (however his old metal Lyman charge thrower was much smoother & more consistent then my “new” plastic LEE one.) I shudder to think of a similar circumstance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk