Higher Pressure with Starline Brass?

Hey folks,
Today I got a chance to do a ladder test on some new 5.56 rounds that I made while back. I used Sierra Green Tip Match Kings with brand new Starline brass and CCI small rifle primers. Powder was H335. I started at the minimum load and worked up to about a grain under the max. First off, the ammo shot awesome out of my SA Saint Victor... quarter sized groups at 50 yards with my Primary Arms 3x prism and the rifle resting on my rucksack (I did this test during a lull in the dove hunt action this afternoon). BUT... my primers are cratered and a little flat. Even with the minimum load. So does anyone know if Starline is a little thicker than, say, Lake City or similar? It does seem a bit robust... Maybe the internal volume is lower? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks
Crow
Minute Of Average

Re: Higher Pressure with Starline Brass?

hey thanks for all the responses! I have not done the water test, Shinzen, but that looks cool. I'll try it. I did weigh a few Starline v LC and found the Starline to be consistently .02 oz heavier than the LC. Rust, I have heard that CCI are a little more prone to cratering, especially when fired from an AR (which is the rifle I was using) but I shot some other reloads using CCI primers and LC brass that day that didn't crater, so I dunno. If primers are ever sold in this country again, I'll try different ones... The casings didn't have any other obvious pressure signs on them, so maybe overall pressure was fine and I just reached the CCI crater threshold.
I'm gonna load up the same components and reduce the powder charge to a grain below minimum and see what happens. I'm using the KaliKey bolt (yeah, yeah, yeah) so cycling isn't going to be a problem. Hopefully accuracy doesn't suffer from the reduced charge though... at the minimum charge these were the most accurate rounds I've ever made.
Crow
Minute Of Average