Tumbling After Resizing?

Hey folks,
I looked for this in other threads but found nothing specific... Do any of you wet tumble after resizing/trimming brass? I tried it today (water, dish soap, lemishine) in my lapidary tumbler with no pins or anything. Brass came out super shiny and with no lube residue on it, and polished real nice with a swipe through the steel wool. I usually use a rag with simple green to clean lube from cases after processing but it takes forever.
But I have 2 concerns:
-do I run the risk of peened case mouths doing this? Should I run a mandrel through them again before seating projectiles?
-does cleaning carbon out of the case mouths actually cause a "cold weld" or whatever? I read that somewhere but it seems weird since many people load brand new brass with no carbon at all...

Anyway, anyone have any advice? I'm kind of in love with how badass my brass looks right now...
thanks, Crow.
Minute Of Average
Attachments
File_001.png

Re: Tumbling After Resizing?

I usually wet tumble prior to sizing/trimming, also without pins. Haven't ever had an issue. But I'm also usually using Hornady One Shot for lube, so don't worry about cleaning it off.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I’ve always wet tumbled with pins. But it makes sense to resize/trim after the brass is already shiny and dry. Seems to avoid the concerns for damaging the mouths you mentioned.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I put my cases under a big magnifier tonight and I don't really see any peening... the trimmed and chamfered mouths that were tumbled feel a little smoother and rounded than the ones that were trimmed and chamfered but NOT tumbled, but that's about it. I don't think there can be any harm in them being "duller" I guess. As for the carbon in the neck issue... how much does that really matter?
Minute Of Average

Bisbee wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:02 am I’ve always wet tumbled with pins. But it makes sense to resize/trim after the brass is already shiny and dry. Seems to avoid the concerns for damaging the mouths you mentioned.
Yeah absolutely but I'm mostly trying to get rid of any lube after I resize... Maybe I should just dunk them in some hot water and lemishine and swirl em around for a minute and then dry? I use Coconut oil as a case lube. It works amazingly well but needs to be stripped before shooting, obviously.
Crow
Minute Of Average

Jeebus, how much lube are you using?!?

Just load and shoot it with the coconut oil. Should remind you of that Hawaiian vacation.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:12 am Jeebus, how much lube are you using?!?
Just load and shoot it with the coconut oil. Should remind you of that Hawaiian vacation.
The thing I like about coconut oil is that you don't need much... but I've always been under the impression that leaving any lubricant on rounds and then chambering them is a bad idea since it can lead to build up and attracts dust/dirt to that area which can eventually cause overpressure. Same reason I make sure that I don't leave excessive oil in my barrel after cleaning... maybe I'm wrong about that but it seems pretty universal...
Crow
Minute Of Average

if you don't have pins, you aren't removing the carbon from inside the necks. If your bullets are seating fine, then your case mouths aren't peined closed

you don't need any solvent or soap to remove Hole Wax, just a rag; the higher lubricity means you need even less of it, which means there's less to remove