Dillon 550B for a newbie?

I had planned on starting simple/cheap with a single stage press or a turret style press for reloading, but I just got an offer to trade some of my tools I have for sale for a Dillon 550B and supplies to reload about 2k rounds of 9mm. I’ve seen a few people recommend not using a progressive press to start. Would this really be a bad idea, or is there a way to “start simple” with a 550B? I am typically a proponent for “buy once, cry once” but will work my way up to a progressive press if that is what is recommended.
“If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.” -Robert Capa

Re: Dillon 550B for a newbie?

senorgrand wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:14 pm is it a good deal? you could probably flip it and pay for a turret press. keep the primers and powder!
That sounds like a vote for the "not a good idea" column. :lol:

If it's a trade for my whole lot of tools, it's not that great of a deal honestly. Waiting for a reply on what they're looking for in return.

lurker wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:00 pm just because it's a progressive doesn't mean you have to use it as a progressive. they're good presses. do your homework, decide what it's worth. the reloading components might be worth having in this pandemic-drought.
I agree whole heartedly with LURKER (just had to use all caps) the 550B being manually advanced can be used as a single stage press, turret or a progressive. The warranty is on the press and you will be able to use it the same as the original owner.

I started with a single stage press and I wish I started with a progressive press because I primarily load ammo more for volume than precision. One of the things I like about Dillon is that it's easy to change the tool head, for example, I have a tool head just for depriming and resizing. To reload, I swap it out for a tool head with reloading dies and the powder drop. Dillon is a good press and it won't limit you when you want to crank out 200 rounds in the morning so you can go to the range in the afternoon.

Realizing that this thread is from a few months ago, for those seeing it over the next year or so, I'd like to provide another view, based on what I've seen teaching new reloaders. This is especially important given the current ammo crunch and thus new reloaders.

Starting people off with an inexpensive single-stage press, such as the $35-40 Lee Reloader Press, not only helps prevent initial sticker-shock, but more importantly, it gets them to understand the various stages of reloading better than starting on a progressive or even a turret. What I've observed happening is that they tend to pay more attention to the individual stage and its nuances.

After reloading, say, 1,000 rounds in single-stage, which really doesn't take that long with handgun rounds, they're much better prepared for the progressive press if they want to go that route. They seem to be more aware of what can go wrong and tend to catch any problems sooner, which is of course a good thing and what we want. That training saved me twice from what could've been major problems during my first year and a half of reloading, if I had not caught them in time.

But won't the single-stage just go to waste, then? Not in my experience. That's where I do initial load development, fix errant rounds, and in my case, size my cast bullets. Even if you don't cast and thus size your own bullets, the single-stage is handy to have on the bench, especially when you don't think you'll need it.

Some people can start right up on a progressive (e. g. Dillon RL550) with good results. Not everyone can, though, at least not successfully. So, the safest recommendation seems to be to start single-stage and then branch out, i. e. learn to walk before you try to sprint.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

While I agree a single stage press is a lower cost way to get into reloading, I completely disagree on the theory that single stages make for better learning.

A good teacher should be able to get a complete new re loader up and running safely, with the required knowledge and skills needed, IF that person wants to start with a progressive. simple and versatile progressives like the Dillon 550b (or whatever letter they are up to) or it's equivalent with other brands are not super complicated and anyone who can safely shoot and maintain their firearm has the skills and intelligence and ability to learn to use one as their first reloading machine.

one can walk before running just as well on a progressive as they can with a single stage.

the suggestion for a single vs a progressive should be based on things other than an assumed learning difficulty with new skills.

I appreciate all of the replies, and am surprised to see this continuing to pop up!

I ended up passing on the Dillon, mostly because of the lack of space I have to dedicate to a reloading bench. I recently picked up a Lee Classic turret press that I am going to set up a compact, mobile reloading bench for. Eventually I may move to a progressive press for volume now that the USPSA bug has bitten me, but for now I’ll take it slow and focus on one round at a time.

308Scout wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:43 pm While I agree a single stage press is a lower cost way to get into reloading, I completely disagree on the theory that single stages make for better learning.

A good teacher should be able to get a complete new re loader up and running safely, with the required knowledge and skills needed, IF that person wants to start with a progressive. simple and versatile progressives like the Dillon 550b (or whatever letter they are up to) or it's equivalent with other brands are not super complicated and anyone who can safely shoot and maintain their firearm has the skills and intelligence and ability to learn to use one as their first reloading machine.

one can walk before running just as well on a progressive as they can with a single stage.

the suggestion for a single vs a progressive should be based on things other than an assumed learning difficulty with new skills.
That's how you end up with new reloaders getting squibs and double-charges. I cannot disagree more with the above notion. Safety must, MUST come first. And that's all I'm going to say further about that.
speedydave wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:42 pm I appreciate all of the replies, and am surprised to see this continuing to pop up!

I ended up passing on the Dillon, mostly because of the lack of space I have to dedicate to a reloading bench. I recently picked up a Lee Classic turret press that I am going to set up a compact, mobile reloading bench for. Eventually I may move to a progressive press for volume now that the USPSA bug has bitten me, but for now I’ll take it slow and focus on one round at a time.
That's a good press, the Classic Turret, and pretty user-friendly. The wife likes this model a lot. Take your time and learn each and every step. Study what you're doing.

Turns out I have a set of videos on how to use that press as well. I invite you to utilize them.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/