Re: Lack of Ammunition and Reloading Supplies.

I back ordered some Hornady ELD-M's in 147 gr. for the FrankenGun from Midway USA and they shipped first part of this week. So, I'll have everything I need to get me thru the Summer. :yahoo:

Supplies seem to be slowly available in small quantities so i'd advise everyone to stay on top of needed stuff so as not to get caught with your pants down needing stuff in a critical time frame. I think we'll continue to get stuff it just won;t be within reasonable time frames.

I was unhappy at first that I'm not getting updates/confirmations or shipping and tracking information via Email from Midway. Their website says they are hurting greatly because of the Covid mess (aren't we all?) and that they are hiring! Stay on top of your reloading inventory. I'm gonna try and stay 3 - 6 months ahead of components except that my PUA money ends in 2 weeks and my unemployment is exhausted end of September with a rising tide of new Covid shutdowns.

So it looks like I'll be sitting on what I have due to income loss. :wavecry: Plenty to do before the SHTF...

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

My son inlaw bought a 9mm this year. Can't find ammo anywhere. Yesterday he was at our house and brought up reloading. I told him he could use my presses but he'll need to buy dies etc. He also would like to cast his own, he knows I have close to 1000 lbs of wheel weight lead.

I haven't been able to sleep all night so I've been looking on line and I think he waited too long, there is very little available, virtually nothing from lee.

I think it's worse than the Obama scare right now.

eelj wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:26 am My son inlaw bought a 9mm this year. Can't find ammo anywhere. Yesterday he was at our house and brought up reloading. I told him he could use my presses but he'll need to buy dies etc. He also would like to cast his own, he knows I have close to 1000 lbs of wheel weight lead.

I haven't been able to sleep all night so I've been looking on line and I think he waited too long, there is very little available, virtually nothing from lee.

I think it's worse than the Obama scare right now.
It is crazy, but I'm hoping, like the toilet paper scare, it will begin to ease up. Although it's seeming to get worse, first.

TP isn't as readily available as it could be, but it's no longer missing from the shelve. Alcohol, OTOH, is still catch-as-catch-can, and a lot of the hand sanitizers are now only 62%, rather than 70% and they are claiming that's good enough.

Bakers yeast is still a tough lift -- been baking the household's bread for 4 months now, so Sourdough is part of my repertoire--you don't need packaged yeast for it. But I've got months of yeast for making regular bread as well still. Took a crack at hot dog rolls--a lot of work but better than store-bought.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Where there is demand, supply will follow because capitalism. Luckily I have a couple rounds in the bottom of the range bag, but I'm glad I know archery. And cooking. Nice to know how to make rice edible, since I am surrounded by rice fields and crop dusters--beautiful planes so powerful they can stand on their tails in the air if they want.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 am Where there is demand, supply will follow because capitalism. Luckily I have a couple rounds in the bottom of the range bag, but I'm glad I know archery. And cooking. Nice to know how to make rice edible, since I am surrounded by rice fields and crop dusters--beautiful planes so powerful they can stand on their tails in the air if they want.

CDFingers
Why do people find rice SO hard to make?

The family regularly turns to me to make it because it's as natural to me as boiling water. My wife, a fabulous cook, has ALWAYS struggled with rice-making, where I've messed up the rice maybe twice in the last 40+ years. (I used to live on stir-fries when I was single and brown rice was the usual base)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

It's as bad as I have ever seen it...a friend in the industry tells me that supply line and component non availability is causing a lot of problems. Like some of the powders we all use - components of their manufacture are simply not to be had by the manufacturers because, like the company that employed me, many suppliers are simply shut down. To make matters worse, anything that becomes available is literally pounced on by people who are gouging or simply have the time and expertise to get a line on stuff before us normal folks even know it's there.

Hell, we have UPS and USPS people grabbing/stealing shit because they know a single unit of it is worth a months pay to them.

I'm skeptical that this is short term...maybe, like Covid Procedures, a new norm?

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

This is indicative of the supply chain problem faced by auto manufacturers early on in the global shutdown. It will not come back easily without concerted effort by major movers in each industry. Lack of one component in 20 will prevent the final product from hitting the shelves. And no, ammunition was never seen as a vital industry for anyone other than the military. Us sport shooters can pretty much suck eggs for all they care.

Hang onto your boolits everyone. Them rounds are gonna get plenty valuable as trading items soon.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

featureless wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:55 am Received 3,000 small rifle primers, 200 pieces of 6.5 Grendel brass and a die set this week. Still need to settle on some powder and pills then see if I can find them in stock. The hunt for small pistol primers continues...
8208 and barnes ttsx copper bullets have done pretty well for me. As we discovered at MITM, they do .6" groups for me out of the CZ-527 which is a light little rifle
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

geno wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:05 pm Here's one of the reasons ammo is scarce:
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/875053582/BidHistory
and
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/875204241/BidHistory
Ouch... over $1 a round for 9mm.

And seller is in damn Asuza, CA... 10 min drive from where I am typing right now!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:27 pm
geno wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:05 pm Here's one of the reasons ammo is scarce:
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/875053582/BidHistory
and
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/875204241/BidHistory
Ouch... over $1 a round for 9mm.

And seller is in damn Asuza, CA... 10 min drive from where I am typing right now!
Did you notice they were both purchased by the same guy?
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

shinzen wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:24 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:55 am Received 3,000 small rifle primers, 200 pieces of 6.5 Grendel brass and a die set this week. Still need to settle on some powder and pills then see if I can find them in stock. The hunt for small pistol primers continues...
8208 and barnes ttsx copper bullets have done pretty well for me. As we discovered at MITM, they do .6" groups for me out of the CZ-527 which is a light little rifle
Thanks! As luck would have it, I believe that's what I ordered, and some Hornady for cheaper fun. Now to borrow some equipment and do some learning. And have patience as UPS cools their heels on my package.

Doh! Well...I have loaded all the rifle bullets and stuff I had and now I'm sitting on my hands waiting for powder and bullets to become available again so I thought I'd prep and prime 5.56 brass so that it's all ready for when I get the components. And then I trashed my decapping/expander ball unit in my RCBS die as there was a small rock in one of the cases. Thought I screened them...not well enough.

So now I'm dead in the water as a replacement is out of stock everywhere. Everywhere.

So I'll be loading 9mm and .380 until this shortage ends.

VooDoo