Re: Powder storage/Fire safes?

A powder storage cabinet should not act as a pressure vessel. In case of fire, you don't want it to be a bomb. A safe is exactly wrong. You want a cabinet whose door would open if there were any pressure buildup. Smokeless powder is not an explosive but is very flammable. Store as you would paint thinner or spray paint or similar flammable household chemicals.

we used to amuse ourselves late at night at reenactments by throwing paper cartridges into the campfire, where they would go "FWOOSH" and give off a plume of smoke. now, this is black powder, but i believe modern smokeless behaves about the same. not especially hazardous until you set them off in a confined space. i keep my powder jugs out on the bench, gas cans for the mower are probably more dangerous.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

It is my understanding that there are legal limits on how much powder, and how many primers you can have possession of. It is possible that if you exceed this there could be legal ramifications in case of a fire.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

In CA you can have 20lbs of smokeless without a cabinet with 1" thick wood walls, non locking as Marlene indicated. 10k primers.

With the cabinet, 50lbs. No change on primers.

But. Definitely check local fire codes. May be different where you are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Loaded ammunition is pretty fire safe. So much so that its pretty easy to ship via air apparently (just not internally in the US apparently, I have some friends who worked at an exporter that did lots of arms shipments. They said pretty much every international flight flies with ammo in the cargo hold). It makes sense if you think about it, the bullet needs the barrel to get any real velocity going.

Loaded ammo is not a hazard. You can look up several youtube videos where they burned pallets of the stuff and it isn't an issue. Offensivename is correct- no barrel to point the explosion, no real issue.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

mahkagari wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:31 pm
offensivename wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:32 pm Loaded ammunition is pretty fire safe. So much so that its pretty easy to ship via air apparently (just not internally in the US apparently, I have some friends who worked at an exporter that did lots of arms shipments. They said pretty much every international flight flies with ammo in the cargo hold). It makes sense if you think about it, the bullet needs the barrel to get any real velocity going.
Then dammit, where is my reason to build a walk-in armory vault??
Fer yer gunz? :lol:

mahkagari wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:13 pm
lurker wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:23 pm because you want one.
That's the secret reason. I need the BS reason to give people on why I "need" it. I'm framing my basement purely because it's one of the highest ROI home improvement project. Has nothing to do with wanting more space to hang trophies and muzzleloader builds to look at.
Other excuses to put on a building permit include a wine cellar, root cellar, fire shelter, etc.

featureless wrote:
That's the secret reason. I need the BS reason to give people on why I "need" it. I'm framing my basement purely because it's one of the highest ROI home improvement project. Has nothing to do with wanting more space to hang trophies and muzzleloader builds to look at.
Other excuses to put on a building permit include a wine cellar, root cellar, fire shelter, etc.
Fire shelter is nonsense, unless you've always wondered how a broiled steak feels...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

rascally wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:01 am
featureless wrote:
Fire shelter is nonsense, unless you've always wondered how a broiled steak feels...
Not really. An 8 inch CMU room with 2 inches of rockwool insulation and a non insuulated concrete slab over earth should give you enough time for the majority of a wild fire to move through if other routes are cut off. Got to make sure the door is kept clear though. CMUs have a 4 hour fire rating. Cars have about a 0 to 5 minutes rating. Naked skin even less. I'd take my chances on a purpose built fire shelter over a car if there were no better options of escape. And such a room makes a wonderful vault or wine storage the rest of its life. Or we can go with nonsense.