Re: What did you reload today?

lurker wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:35 pm
offensivename wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:14 pm 18 rounds of .577/450. The odd number is because I only have so much brass for this, one day I'll make more.

Also this is definitely a cartridge where reloading is worth it:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/577-450-mar ... p577450mh2
some of them are very very worthwhile to reload. i happened to look at krag yesterday, still only about $1.50 a round, except CTD which wants $2.50.
what do you make your cases from?
I got them from Marlene.

lurker wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:35 pm
offensivename wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:14 pm 18 rounds of .577/450. The odd number is because I only have so much brass for this, one day I'll make more.

Also this is definitely a cartridge where reloading is worth it:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/577-450-mar ... p577450mh2
some of them are very very worthwhile to reload. i happened to look at krag yesterday, still only about $1.50 a round, except CTD which wants $2.50.
what do you make your cases from?
I got them from Marlene.

Was testing out the new reloading set up and did 22 rounds of 45 acp 185g bullets with 5.0g unique powder.

First time reloading in over a year. The powder measure really sped things up a bit

Only made one mistake, seated a bullet without powder. I measure out the powder it was setting in the scale plate I put the case in the holder, i put the bullet in the case, i pulled the lever down and, looked up and saw the powder still in the plate lol
20200423_160006.jpg
20200423_160011.jpg

ARC1107 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:11 pm powder still in the plate lol
they make a tool for that, looks sorta like a plastic hammer. inertial bullet puller i think they call it. i had to use mine last batch.
wooglin wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:25 pm I’m about out of brass. Dayum. Need to shoot more.
ordinarily, not a bad problem to have.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Reloaded 48 38 spl 148 DEWC with Hy tech coating from Missouri bullets with 4.2 grains of 231 and 31 rounds same bullet with 4.2 grains of unique . I want to compare them I like the unique but I have more 231. I like the HY tek coating . IT does cut down on leading. One draw back, lead is a toxin and I used to have grey fingers after reloading, :confused: Could that have protected me from the corona virus?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin

lurker wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:24 pm
wooglin wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:25 pm I’m about out of brass. Dayum. Need to shoot more.
ordinarily, not a bad problem to have.
Actually went the lgs yesterday and they’d gotten in a long awaited shipment of 327fm. Probably 30 boxes on the shelf. And everything else was in short supply. Sadly could only buy two boxes, but they’re 85 gr Federal American Eagle which I haven’t shot before. Looking forward to putting some down range and stashing the rest while I switch back to my reloads. So basically now I really need to shoot.

offensivename wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:49 am
bajajoaquin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:44 am What kind of velocity do you expect out of that load (per the chart)?
Not sure if you were asking me or Spara from earlier yesterday but that trapdoor load should be around 1300fps. I also shot some grizzly ammo that said it was 1300fps and the results were similar.
That was to you, thanks. I've been on the fence about what to load. I can't get out and shoot my new 45-70, so I'm reluctant to load a whole lot more without knowing how it shoots. But I also want to load more.

Ahhh. Gumption traps.

bajajoaquin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:14 am
offensivename wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:49 am
bajajoaquin wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:44 am What kind of velocity do you expect out of that load (per the chart)?
Not sure if you were asking me or Spara from earlier yesterday but that trapdoor load should be around 1300fps. I also shot some grizzly ammo that said it was 1300fps and the results were similar.
That was to you, thanks. I've been on the fence about what to load. I can't get out and shoot my new 45-70, so I'm reluctant to load a whole lot more without knowing how it shoots. But I also want to load more.

Ahhh. Gumption traps.
I would most definitely not try and do the 70gr black powder load with that Lee Loader. I also forget what rifle you got but most things made in the last 120 years can shoot loads that are significantly hotter than an old trap door load like this.

I've got a Ruger No 3. It's cheaper furniture on the robust No. 1 action. So there's not much question of handling the pressure. I don't hunt, or do long-range shooting, so it's really for the fun of going shooting and pulling out a really big cartridge. My first trial loads, shortly before statewide lockdown went into effect was Loading is 43.3 grains of IMR 3031 under a 300 gr Speer JSP. Starline brass. This is a tenth of a grain over minimum powder charge listed in Lymans 50th. With Ruger No 3 action strength, I figured there was no reason to risk an under-charge.