Re: What did you reload today?

You've got powders primers bullets and brass. Not a bad situation at all. I primed some .45LC cases and they're still sitting there awaiting assembly. Dang. I gotta get out there to the old reloading shack. Decent weather, actually.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Oh, hell yes. My situation is absolutely fabulous! The natural result of buying more than shooting, and sloppy inventory awareness. I'd never have bought two pounds of Longshot if I'd known I already had two pounds of Longshot!

Lack of 2400 is only a "problem" in that if I go to indoor range, I like pulling out some max loads of that stuff in .44 or .357 and testing whether I can get other people to hesitate for a moment while they look for what is making all that muzzle flash. Yes, I'm a terrible narcissist!

I could probably achieve the same end with H110, which I have a near-full can of, but I don't enjoy loading that as much since it binds up my Lee powder measure (drum fit is sloppy and the little H110 grains jam it).

I'll probably make up a few max loads of 4227, but it's not the same. A bit less velocity, no flash and less noise. Why even magnum?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Just got the Speer 15 reloading manual (it’s hard to find) and I loaded up some “Ruger only” .45 colt loads 255 gr. “Keith type” over 19.5 gr. H110.

I also just ordered everything (dies, brass, bullets). to get set up to load another odd-ball: .32 ACP.

Interestingly, the Speer manual didn’t have any loads for .32 ACP at all…? I bought it for hotter loading data. Found a .32 recipe in my Lyman manual that I could source all the components for.

Should be a bit tedious to load such a small case, but it was far less expensive to get set up to load it than buy it factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still use Speer #13. I haven't bought a "new" caliber since #13. The new gun, the 1911, is an old caliber. I wonder whether my grandson will load from a book? Not likely. His dad only has one manual. I have three.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:I still use Speer #13. I haven't bought a "new" caliber since #13. The new gun, the 1911, is an old caliber. I wonder whether my grandson will load from a book? Not likely. His dad only has one manual. I have three.

CDFingers
Yeah, this was my first Speer so I wanted the current Ed. I have both an old, soft cover beat up Lyman 49th Ed. That’s been through a lot Of moves, And a new hard cover 50th Ed. Lyman. Between the 2 (Speer and Lyman) they give a lot of room to cross-check the data available on the web. The Lyman has more cast loadings and that’s primarily what I load.

I was really surprised the Speer manual didn’t contain data for the .32 ACP, it being a pretty commonly chambered cartridge (certainly not rare).

.32 ACP - that was tedious. The charge was so small; and the bullets are so small they are hard to place on the case mouth straight. Ruined a couple cases and Billy’s by seating them crooked.

I picked up a surplus zastava m70 pistol; and didn’t want to pay $30/box for factory so I got set up to load it.

The gun was covered & encrusted in cosmolene and I spent several hours scrubbing it out with dawn and water. Had to break down the mags and everything. I kicked myself in the past for not jumping on these old weird COM BLOCK surplus pistols so I snatch them up now.
Picture is after I scrubbed it.
Here’s a review:

https://www.google.com/search?client=s ... uqWbE,st:0

A small sampling of today's work, courtesy of the Lee Classic Turret Press. The entire run was 500, or 10 boxes. :-)

Seems only the thumbnail images are actually working for some reason. But you get the idea.

The bullets are 200gr LRNFP's, using Tulammo (Murom) LPP's and 5.4gr Titegroup, which is the max load in Lyman's 49th and 51st Editions.

The dies are Lee's full 4-die set, including the Factory Crimp Die. The FCD ensures that the rounds won't be oversized to chamber in the 1911's, Springfield XD-series, and others with right-at-spec chamber dimensions. This load works very well out of every .45 ACP firearm I've tried...provided the FCD is used.

Next run will be the new ".45 Colt Magnum" loading using Accurate 11FS.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Actually, as of last night, one of those new 6-station Lee Pro 6000 kits, in .45 ACP, is on the way, with case collator. With a six-station progressive press, I can do not only the Factory Crimp Die, but also the Powder Cop die. My capacity to pump out .45 ACP rounds should at least triple and maybe even quadruple. We will find out soon enough.

A little leisurely .45 ACP session with the Pro 6000 today before going to the range. Since I ran out of the 200gr LRNFP cast boolits, I had to switch to the Rainier 230gr RN plated bullets (standard ball), on top of 5.3gr of Bullseye. You'll note the nickel-plated cases, so naturally I switched to the CCI large pistol primers, which are also nickel-plated. Hey, gotta have the ammo looking good, right?

Took just over an hour. I could've kept going, but I ran out of nickel plated cases, so I guess I had to stop. Such is life....

This run will continue later with unplated brass cases and TulAmmo primers, as with the previous session. You know, for proper color coordination. :-)

wooglin wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:58 pm Started to finish up some 357 yesterday, and realized none of the primers were flush or better with the case head. What’s up with that? They’re all consistent, but none look fully seated even when I ran a few back through the primer.
Not sure where in the loading sequence you discovered the high primers. Of course, re-seating primers in loaded rounds is a no-no. What equipment are you using? About the only thing I do in bulk is .45 ACP. I do that on a Green Machine, just about everything else is single stage.
This isn't going well, is it?

CowboyT wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:28 pm Actually, you can do it as long as you're careful. That's the key, to be careful, no matter which tool you use.

Never heard that suggested before. Seems an unnecessary risk.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=595534

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t4774-dum ... re-seating

I've never felt that lucky.

If I am remembering correctly, my very first post on this forum dealt with a bullet puller. I have two and I ain't afraid to use them.
This isn't going well, is it?

Glad to get replies. Thanks. Have not added powder or bullets, just primers. First reload for these cases so I don’t think there’s enough gunk in the pockets to cause problems. Am using a Lyman E-Zee hand priming tool, which I ran several cases back through just to be sure, meeting no resistance upon full stroke of squeezy handle thing. And primers in other instances for other calibers have seated fine.

Maybe these cases have a thinner head so they’re getting pushed up in the shell holder? Is that even possible? Or the shell holder itself is an issue? It came with brand new Lee dies, so I have a hard time jumping to that conclusion.

Also doing a run of .45 (Long) Colt Magnum, using the 2400 recipe. That recipe always does well. The bullet in this case is not one of mine, but Missouri Bullet Company's 255gr LRNFP that I bought some years ago. BHN is pretty hard, since these are store bought (BHN 18 or so), so I gave the bullets a nice coating of Liquid Xlox to help. Hopefully there will still be some obturation, even given how hard these bullets are.

I was hoping to go to the range today (didn't happen) so last night I loaded 35 rounds of .43 Magnum with 240 grain Noslers and 12.1 grains of Longshot. I had a few of those left from a previous batch, so that would have made a nice box of poppers. Not the hottest load out there, but a bona fide magnum round, and they shoot pretty well. Being penny-wise and pound-foolish by nature, I was tempted to cap them with plated bullets, but I know that on a good day, I can almost see a valid difference between group sizes from those and the Noslers, so I repeated several times "life is too short to shoot cheap ammo" and opened the box of good bullets.

I'll make up some with the plated bullets later to give away to guests.

I did make it to the range at last on Friday the 13th and shot up most of the .43s I loaded above. Good fun, as always.

I'm probably going to host a beginner soon, or go shooting with a guy from work who I've never been to the range with before, so rather than load more of my limited stash of Noslers and give them away, I made fifty more .43s with Longshot again but Xtreme 240 grain plated RNFPs. My memory is that those bullets worked acceptably with that powder charge in the past. (In contrast, some other plated bullets from RMR, IIRC, that I had a bag of some years ago did NOT fly nicely when punched with that load of Longshot, but did fine with a stout charge of 4227. I concluded that their plating couldn't handle the sharper pressure curve from the faster burning powder, since the muzzle velocity of the two loads should have been quite similar, by the book.)

Buck13 wrote:I was hoping to go to the range today (didn't happen) so last night I loaded 35 rounds of .43 Magnum with 240 grain Noslers and 12.1 grains of Longshot. I had a few of those left from a previous batch, so that would have made a nice box of poppers. Not the hottest load out there, but a bona fide magnum round, and they shoot pretty well. Being penny-wise and pound-foolish by nature, I was tempted to cap them with plated bullets, but I know that on a good day, I can almost see a valid difference between group sizes from those and the Noslers, so I repeated several times "life is too short to shoot cheap ammo" and opened the box of good bullets.

My sense of propriety is disturbed by loading handgun ammo in batches other than multiples of 50!

25 for small batches maybe; but 35??? You sir, are completely self-actualized.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:35 pm
Buck13 wrote:I was hoping to go to the range today (didn't happen) so last night I loaded 35 rounds of .43 Magnum with 240 grain Noslers and 12.1 grains of Longshot. I had a few of those left from a previous batch, so that would have made a nice box of poppers. Not the hottest load out there, but a bona fide magnum round, and they shoot pretty well. Being penny-wise and pound-foolish by nature, I was tempted to cap them with plated bullets, but I know that on a good day, I can almost see a valid difference between group sizes from those and the Noslers, so I repeated several times "life is too short to shoot cheap ammo" and opened the box of good bullets.

My sense of propriety is disturbed by loading handgun ammo in batches other than multiples of 50!

25 for small batches maybe; but 35??? You sir, are completely self-actualized.

Two reasons for that:

1. For slow-fire shooting, I load my revolvers with five rounds, so that's seven targets' worth. (If it was a load that I might shoot for rapid-fire practice, 30 or a multiple of 30 would be ideal since that's EITHER five targets with six rapid-fire, or six targets with five in slow-fire. Versatile! But I don't usually shoot the Redhawk rapid-fire.)

(b.) I had fifteen rounds of the same load left over from a batch assembled long ago, so this did bring me up to a multiple of fifty, in this case. This wasn't a completely compelling reason, since those old rounds were sharing a 100-round fliptop box with a remnant batch (meaning less than 50) of some other load with a different bullet, so I could have gone over fifty, but I had inventoried the ammo stash so I knew that making 35 would bring that box to an evenly full set of five rows for the soft-points.

Buck13 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:29 pm I was hoping to go to the range today (didn't happen) so last night I loaded 35 rounds of .43 Magnum with 240 grain Noslers and 12.1 grains of Longshot. I had a few of those left from a previous batch, so that would have made a nice box of poppers. Not the hottest load out there, but a bona fide magnum round, and they shoot pretty well. Being penny-wise and pound-foolish by nature, I was tempted to cap them with plated bullets, but I know that on a good day, I can almost see a valid difference between group sizes from those and the Noslers, so I repeated several times "life is too short to shoot cheap ammo" and opened the box of good bullets.

".43 Magnum"? I've heard of .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum, but not .43 Magnum. Is this a new one?