Re: Die question - new or used?

CowboyT wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:53 pm Good deal. You now have what should be a pretty darn good set of .38/357 dies. Any problems, let us know. Also, do let us know if this is the carbide die set.
Should be carbide. I’ll keep y’all posted. Now to hunt up primers.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I’ve had no issue with either used or new. My old neighbor gave me a set of RCBS carbide .38/.357 dies —-well used —- from at least the 80s. Despite the outside of the die having some surface rust I use them regularly to have a separate die set up for both .357 & .38 that I only have to do minor adjustments for.

I bought a set of carbide RCBS .45 colt dies off eBay late last year - but I don’t have a .45 colt yet.

My go to are LEE carbide dies, new- but those are unobtainable right now in the calibers I shoot.

I just clean them and the presses up with CLP break free and a rag and they seem to keep on keeping on.

I wouldn’t bat an eye at buying used dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:29 am I’ve had no issue with either used or new. My old neighbor gave me a set of RCBS carbide .38/.357 dies —-well used —- from at least the 80s. Despite the outside of the die having some surface rust I use them regularly to have a separate die set up for both .357 & .38 that I only have to do minor adjustments for.

I bought a set of carbide RCBS .45 colt dies off eBay late last year - but I don’t have a .45 colt yet.

My go to are LEE carbide dies, new- but those are unobtainable right now in the calibers I shoot.

I just clean them and the presses up with CLP break free and a rag and they seem to keep on keeping on.

I wouldn’t bat an eye at buying used dies.

Great. CLP for cleaning sounds simple enough.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 am They look pretty serviceable. Load some up!

Well there is a small issue of a component shortage. My next step is to find the 38 Special components, bullets, primer and the correct powder, the hard part. LoL.

At first glance they don’t appear to be used much. It’s supposed to be a carbide set, so should last.

sikacz wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 am They look pretty serviceable. Load some up!

Well there is a small issue of a component shortage. My next step is to find the 38 Special components, bullets, primer and the correct powder, the hard part. LoL.

At first glance they don’t appear to be used much. It’s supposed to be a carbide set, so should last.
Yeah I assumed you had some that on hand...

Most of it can be had if you are diligent in your searches - I scored 5K primers last year just by making a few extra stops here and there. Though I did pay about $10/1000 more than pre-pandemic prices - but compared to some that’s a bargain. Bullets are still available online if you scrounge a bit.

However- there was some stuff available early in the year locally - but now not even 12 ga target load shells are available. Everything is completely dried up in my area I’ve never seen it so bleak even over the last year.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:18 pm
sikacz wrote:

Yeah I assumed you had some that on hand...

Most of it can be had if you are diligent in your searches - I scored 5K primers last year just by making a few extra stops here and there. Though I did pay about $10/1000 more than pre-pandemic prices - but compared to some that’s a bargain. Bullets are still available online if you scrounge a bit.

However- there was some stuff available early in the year locally - but now not even 12 ga target load shells are available. Everything is completely dried up in my area I’ve never seen it so bleak even over the last year.

It’s been dry here as well. I did find 12 gauge light target load recently. Also found a place that had ammo on it’s shelves, a firearms store for collectors. I don’t think they advertise or sell online. It’s local so if one stops in they might have what you’re looking for. Up until a few days before I had dropped in they had 38 Special. They had all sorts of ammo from 32 Wadcutters to Nagant pistol ammo. LoL. And rifle ammo, obscure to common calibers, it was amazing.