Daisy-FWB 300 stock refinish

Finally getting around to refinishing the second of the badly abused Boy Scout Camp rifles.

Started like this:
FWBB4.jpg
Then after 3 rounds of soy stripper last week:
StrippedL.jpg
After lots of sanding saturday and sunday 150 to 220 to 320:
320Sand.jpg
Plus a few more hours working on the stippling. The wood is not as nice as the other, but I like the trigger area treatment better.
I just put on some tunes (Wooden Shjips, Moon Duo, Mermen), and set to sanding.
Pleasant way to spend a chilly day.
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

Re: Daisy-FWB 300 stock refinish

Nice! Did you notice the cheek rest is on the wrong side? :whistle:

Jokes aside, what vintage? When I was in the Boy Scouts we used regular bolt action single 22LR rifles. That Daisy looks pretty good. I have a Daisy, but it was from around the early 1970's, but it's a BB/pellet rifle. Plastic stock and I'm thinking of getting wood on it. LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

When I was in BS, we had single shot .22s as well. Won my first NRA medals there.
These things are huge and heavy, seems odd to be having kids use them. Any single shot .22 is smaller and lighter.
They were (iirc) both built in April of 1972. Bit of an odd history. These are full FWB, but have the Daisy stamp as they were the importer at the time:
Logo_Sm.jpg
Logo_Sm.jpg (77.88 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
The two are about 100 SN's apart. The 300 was only made for a short time between the more sporting
150 and the pure competition 300S. They have a very 150 forestock, and the 300S grip and buttstock.
Also, the other one has a 150 style trigger and this one has a match trigger.

I have not tried the coal tar/mineral spirits. Any examples of what that looks like? I am curious what the original finish was, sort of reddish-brown. It can still be seen on the inner surfaces.

Here's my first attempt, notice the different trigger area and trigger...
This one is fun to shoot mormon crickets in the summer. Like shooting a deer a 500 yards.
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington
Attachments
FWB300Scoped.jpg

sikacz wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:34 am RotaryMags, look at this thread I did on pine tar mix:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=49782

I’m sure a fifty fifty without the wax would also give a nice finish.
Thanks! Kinda looks like shoe polish. It may be a while before I get to the finish, still thinking about what to use. I just knew I'd get some helpful hints.
Fact is I need to keep it simple. If it starts to get overly complicated/time consuming, my ADD kicks in and I wander off...

Another note of interest. These rifles are recoil-less, so when shooting with a scope, and the sun is behind you, you can watch the pellet impact.

Thanks Mason!
Both had to be completely rebuilt with new breach seal, piston ring and even mainsprings.
That was another weirdness. The 150 had a standard single mainspring. The 300S uses two opposite wound springs back-to-back to eliminate torque.
One had a single, the other the dual. Go figure. The more I see/read about the 150/300/300S, the more I like and appreciate the 300.
I've set the scoped one up internally like the 150. The 'Match', the one I'm working on now, gets the 300S treatments.

RotaryMags wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:07 pm Thanks Mason!
Both had to be completely rebuilt with new breach seal, piston ring and even mainsprings.
That was another weirdness. The 150 had a standard single mainspring. The 300S uses two opposite wound springs back-to-back to eliminate torque.
One had a single, the other the dual. Go figure. The more I see/read about the 150/300/300S, the more I like and appreciate the 300.
I've set the scoped one up internally like the 150. The 'Match', the one I'm working on now, gets the 300S treatments.
Ahh, springer tuning. I used to really enjoy that. Do you need a spring compressor to dissasssemble those?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese