Cheeep pellet trap

Trap.jpg
I put more thought into this than effort.

I wanted something to minimize sound and bounce. The last thing I need is to have a neighbor wig out and call about Shots Fired. I cut a tire in half and stacked them. I draped a textured rubber mat that projects about a foot ahead of the tire. I can clip targets in front and I'm set. Pellets flatten against the tire and fall right there. The primary sound now is the spring piston. :thumbup:

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Cheeep pellet trap

Yours is much more upscale than mine. I have one in my home office that is simply a cardboard box lined with 1" plywood covered with an old towel. I use it whenever I have writer's block, which lately seems like every day.
Last edited by JoelB on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

I used to use big phone books to stop .22 lr, but that was before, when they made big phone books.
The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

CDFingers wrote:Duct Seal? This stuff?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bend ... /100212441

Looks like for about ten bucks you can make a great set up. Great suggestion. I think I'll make a box this weekend. My Gamo is now up and running with its new scope.

CDFingers
I saw some set ups with that. My fear was that it would be a runny mess when the temps are over 100.

Simmer down wrote:
Trap.jpg
I put more thought into this than effort.

I wanted something to minimize sound and bounce. The last thing I need is to have a neighbor wig out and call about Shots Fired. I cut a tire in half and stacked them. I draped a textured rubber mat that projects about a foot ahead of the tire. I can clip targets in front and I'm set. Pellets flatten against the tire and fall right there. The primary sound now is the spring piston. :thumbup:
What sort of saw did you use to cut the tire?
Member, LGC

Woodsman wrote:What sort of saw did you use to cut the tire?
I used a bow saw on the tread and sidewalls. For the heavy cable at the bead I cut the rubber up to the cable then smacked it between an anvil and a cold chisel.

I had a cardboard box that wine was shipped in, I took the inserts that held the bottles turned them sideways, and added more.. The compressed cardboard inserts stopped all pellets fired into the box.. used pushpins to hold target in place..

Now that I have a house with a basement, I will be working on this again..

Good Shooting..
The more you Learn the Less you Know..
USN, Ret. '63-'85
Sig P226 MK25, Browning A Bolt II .223 Remington
St. Louis, MO/Webster Groves
http://theliberalgunclubinc.memberlodge.org

I use a box.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

OpherGopher wrote:I had a cardboard box that wine was shipped in, I took the inserts that held the bottles turned them sideways, and added more.. The compressed cardboard inserts stopped all pellets fired into the box.. used pushpins to hold target in place..

Now that I have a house with a basement, I will be working on this again..

Good Shooting..
Kind of what i have, and with my basement extending under my front porch I get 55 feet

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

A 6" deep cardboard box stuffed with discarded old clothes will stop either pellets or target arrows fired from a 25# bow. I shoot arrows in the basement and pellets in the garage, so I have two boxes. Every couple hundred shots I tape a fresh layer of cardboard onto the front, or when I want a nice smooth target backer to keep score.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Cheap and quiet trap

Inquisitor wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:53 am Duct seal works wonderfully to capture the pellets. And you can reclaim the lead.
This is important in my house, having a bunch of dogs. If I use even a low powered Spring Piston air rifle, the dogs raise a ruckus. If I use a Pre-Charged Pneumatic, they look around, then go back to sleep.

The dogs don't like a steel trap either, so I saw crude plans for a trap made from a crate with a steel sheet at the back, and blocks of duct seal in front of it. It makes a "splat" noise when shot into, instead of a metallic "ding," and again the dogs look up, then go back to sleep.