Beeman Silver Kodiak

http://www.beeman.com/store/product.asp ... pid=122462
Beeman Kodiak.jpg
Found this two barrel rifle for $99. I'm in the middle of my work day so I only shot a couple and I'll give it a Full Review & Tinkering at a later time.

It has the gas piston rather than the spring. Supposedly this offers more shot to shot consistency than springs. Barrels change out with an allen wrench. One .177 and one .22. The safety is like a Garand, in front of the trigger inside the guard; Similarities end there.

I first tried the 22 with Crosman 14.3g lead http://grabagun.com/crosman-air-guns-lh ... 2-500.html
It sounded a lot like a 22 so that may not be the perfect backyard caliber. From 20 or so yards it went through 3/8 plywood. :yikes:

I used "Silent Cat: the Quiet Pellet"at 10.5g for the .177 barrel http://www.gamousa.com/reviews.aspx?productID=80 Not exactly silent but an attention-getting report.

:thumbup:

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Beeman Silver Kodiak

I've heard that air rifles get quieter and more accurate as you use them. There are oils and stuff that is being burned out for the first 100 shots or so of a new barrel. The explosion you hear (and smoke) is not inherent to the gun (or barrel) itself but a condition known as "dieseling" in new air rifle barrels due to the preservative lubricants in the barrel. The first several times you shoot it, the oil in the barrel ignite and explode due to increased air pressure. Yeah, pretty neat, eh?

I don't supposed you ran a patch through the barrels the first time you used it (per the instruction manual)?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:I've heard that air rifles get quieter and more accurate as you use them. There are oils and stuff that is being burned out for the first 100 shots or so of a new barrel. The explosion you hear (and smoke) is not inherent to the gun (or barrel) itself but a condition known as "dieseling" in new air rifle barrels due to the preservative lubricants in the barrel. The first several times you shoot it, the oil in the barrel ignite and explode due to increased air pressure. Yeah, pretty neat, eh?

I don't supposed you ran a patch through the barrels the first time you used it (per the instruction manual)?
We used to do that on purpose when I was a kid. A few drops of oil behind the pellet and then giggle over the flame and smoke and (percieved, maybe) added power.

Not particularly consistent, though - and probably hard on the seals.

I got some more unstructured backyard shooting time in. The sound is lessening but the powder-like smell lingers across the yard. I need to make a bore snake out of fishing line or just continue blasting the crap loose.

I'm just using the .177 barrel right now and trying to zero in the scope. The 22s may be too much for home use. Cocking effort is listed as 35-40lbs and uses a set of muscles I haven't been using. Whew.

Overall, an interesting toy that I haven't taken apart yet. :thumbup:

Definitely research before tinkering too much. I wouldn't recommend cleaning the bore, absolutely not with any kind of rod, just keep shooting. Never put any oil into the transfer port. If the piston is preloaded and often they are, a spring compressor is required to safely work on one. A GRT trigger from Charlie Da Tuna is a good upgrade if its available for your rifle - if you must tinker with something.

http://charliedatuna.com/index.html
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I hope you have better luck zeroing in the scope than I did with my first powerful air-rifle. After the 100-shot break-in period the thing returned a 5" pattern at 25 yards and couldn't consistently hit a soda-can. Maybe I'm wrong but I chalked it up to bad design due to the moving (cocking) barrel being entirely seperate from the receiver where the damned scope is mounted (how the hell does that scope stay zeroed if not solidly mounted to the barrel itself?).

Ended up returning the thing. Wasn't fun to keep missing for no good reason.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:I hope you have better luck zeroing in the scope than I did with my first powerful air-rifle. After the 100-shot break-in period the thing returned a 5" pattern at 25 yards and couldn't consistently hit a soda-can. Maybe I'm wrong but I chalked it up to bad design due to the moving (cocking) barrel being entirely seperate from the receiver where the damned scope is mounted (how the hell does that scope stay zeroed if not solidly mounted to the barrel itself?).

Ended up returning the thing. Wasn't fun to keep missing for no good reason.
I still don't have enough time on it to see about staying zeroed. I did consider that the scope is fixed to the body and the barrel is pivoting. The barrel is fixed with a set screw and I wonder how jiggly that will get over time. I assume when I swap barrels the scope is off the mark and there's that to do all over.

I kept the box and receipt in case we have a break up. :confused: