New to me Gamo 440

As with too many of my gun purchases, and archery, and history books, and woodworking tools...I sold some stuff at a gun show and watched this rifle get looked at and not bought for two days. Made a deal late Sunday afternoon.

It's a Gamo 440 Hunter in .177. Shoots only pellets. I put this BSA Deer Hunter scope on it. I've had probs with two BSA's that would not hold left to right, so I don't know what will transpire with this one. The optics are neat and the scope small. Makes a neat package. You can see on the lower right I picked up a sampler pack of pellets to see what it likes--if there is any difference, at any rate. Different weights and profiles. 500, so that's cool.

This is one of those spring loaded break open type of guns. Single shot. Very heavy for an air gun I thought, until I found it supposedly shoots 1000 fps with the right pellets. Must store a lot of pressure. Haven't shot it yet. I thought I'd ask about any tips or special tricks. Maybe this afternoon after we vote in the CA primary I'll get the back yard to myself for a while. I'll see how loud it is.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: New to me Gamo 440

It should be relatively quiet and backyard friendly - most spring guns are. try all the different pellets, heavier is usually better with magnum springers. If you like that scope I suggest you take it off. Spring guns recoil in both directions and will quickly destroy scopes that are not specifically designed to handle it. UTG, Leapers and Center Point make some surprisingly good optics that are designed for spring guns for surprisingly little money. You'll also want to familiarize yourself with the "Artillery Hold".

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/The_a ... ne_2009/63

Pyramyd Air are a good company and have the good stuff.

Be careful, being able to shoot in your backyard makes air guns very addictive. I have about ten of them that started with a $25 impulse buy at a traveling Chinese tool sale in Mendo county as evidence.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Yeah, I really like the scope--really clear, great reticle, adjusts easily. Off it comes. Thanks for the tip. This thing has very interesting open sights.

I shot it today. Yes: very quiet. Grouped very well. I see what you mean about the fun factor.

CDFingers

I too own a Hunter 440. Got it about 10 years ago before getting back into firearms. Used it mostly for starling and english sparrow control.
I never really liked the stock trigger on this rifle so about 5 years ago replaced it with the GRT-III trigger. Since then it has been much more pleasant to shoot and is deadly up to around 75 feet.
For me the Crosman Premier 7.9 gr hollow point hunting pellets work best.
The BSA 2-7x32 scope on this rifle also has a left-right adjustment problem and it doesn't take much to upset the zero. I think this started after I dropped the gun on hard concrete one time. Bummer!

Bobo
You can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time - Abe Lincoln

Bobo wrote: I never really liked the stock trigger on this rifle so about 5 years ago replaced it with the GRT-III trigger. Since then it has been much more pleasant to shoot and is deadly up to around 75 feet.
Bobo
I don't suppose you'd have a link for that trigger? Mine is a bit clunky, but since I shoot milsurps from time to time I've accepted it. But it could be better.

CDFingers

I noticed that you have been through a few scopes with the 440. If you do not already know this break barrel air guns like this Gamo are notorious for destroying standard rifle scopes and so one must use an optic that is designed to withstand the brutal action of these air guns. My BSA scope has 'Air Rifle' written on it. Before buying a scope please make sure it is specifically designed for the break barrel and other types of air rifles.
I agree that these pellet guns are fun and can be addictive mainly because the ammo is so darn cheap! In what other type of gun can you buy 500 rounds for just around 6 bucks???
Happy shooting!

Bobo
You can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time - Abe Lincoln

Actually, I learned about air guns and scopes here. So that's what made me go out and get the air gun scope on it now. Works fine, and I saved the rifle scope for a rifle.

CDFingers

I'm waiting for the trees and bamboo to leaf out to absorb the sound. I have one with some sort of piston and there's a clear report. I don't want to upset the neighbors so I'm waiting.

I wonder if the piston rifles will put the hurt on a scope like the spring rifles do?

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

CDFingers wrote:Actually, I learned about air guns and scopes here. So that's what made me go out and get the air gun scope on it now. Works fine, and I saved the rifle scope for a rifle.

CDFingers
:beer2: