Upgrading .177 competition rifle

So, my kid brother just placed 3rd in his division for high school Air Riflery, and is going on to State :yahoo: , and I just found out he's the only one with a pump gun instead of PCP. This is my fault - I gave him my old Daisy (I think it's an Avanti 753), thinking he wouldn't be good enough to need a better airgun until maybe his third season or so. Clearly I was wrong. :/

Since he's doing so amazingly well, Dad and I want to buy him something as good or better than what everyone else in the competition is shooting. I know it's too late in the season to change his equipment, but after it's over he can start practicing with the new one, and next season we'll turn him loose with something top-of-the-line and see how much ass he can kick.

The big thing right now is the Crossman Challenger (most of the other kids at the top have one), and we're also eyeing the Airforce Edge on the recommendation of a family friend.

What are your thoughts? Are there any others we should be looking at? I understand the list of approved rifles is very short (http://www.odcmp.com/3p/rules.pdf, section 4.2), so we don't have very many options.

Thanks in advance!
*Now a certified Basic Pistol instructor! Yay!

Re: Upgrading .177 competition rifle

Congrats to your little Bro!

Paladin does have the Airforce rifle, it's cool. It has a dry fire setting to practice trigger pull without actually shooting.

If you go the PCP route remember the rifle is just the part of the deal and the $, you also need to be able to charge it. DO NOT buy the Benjamin/Air Force pump built by Sun Optics it is a worthless POS. Pay the extra $100 for a Hill pump.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:Congrats to your little Bro!

Paladin does have the Airforce rifle, it's cool. It has a dry fire setting to practice trigger pull without actually shooting.

If you go the PCP route remember the rifle is just the part of the deal and the $, you also need to be able to charge it. DO NOT buy the Benjamin/Air Force pump built by Sun Optics it is a worthless POS. Pay the extra $100 for a Hill pump.
He may have both rifles. I know he HAD the challenger at one point.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick, guys!
Inquisitor wrote:Paladin has the challenger I think.

Daisy makes a PCP version of that rifle as well, the 887

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/airrifles.htm
I like it, but I think only the CO2 version of that model is approved right now.

Mason wrote:Congrats to your little Bro!

Thanks! I'm so proud of him. :D

I'm personally favoring the Edge, I think it looks awesome. I kinda want to buy one just for myself... The dry-fire setting is one of the reasons I want it for him - I think dry fire practice at home has been a big part of my own growth as a marksman, and it's generally not a good idea with the Daisy.

The team has a fancy electric pump he'll use at practice and matches. For home I was thinking we might be able to use an scba tank I have lying around for paintball (after I get it safety tested, of course) - is that an option? It looks like it might be, with the right connectors. I'll admit to being a little lost, this is going to be my family's first PCP rifle, I've never even shot one before. So I really appreciate any and all information.

My dad just called me to say that now the coach is saying he doesn't like the Edge, and that my brother should get the Air Arms T200. Any thoughts?

Also, an update: baby bro placed 25th in the state. Not quite as high as I was hoping, but pretty damn impressive if I do say so myself. Especially since the coach made him switch rifles two weeks ago. :clap: :yahoo: :beer2:

The TX200 is pure awesome but a very different animal than the ten meter guns. The TX he will pass on to his children. I have the Chinese clone B40, only because when I bought it there was not a new TX be had in the US. At ten meters it is one hole boring accurate.

One of the beauties of the design is that the mainspring is under no preload so it can be easily disassembled by the owner, which is good, since the design, while excellent, breaks mainsprings on a fairly regular basis.

[Edit] My bad, T200 not TX 200. I have no experience with the T200 but Air Arms make fine guns. Of the three the AA would certainly be my first choice.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I have the Air Force and it is not an anshutz it is very close especially for 1/4 the price.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

I have the Air Force and it is not an anshutz it is very close especially for 1/4 the price.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer