Daisy Poweline 853 .177cal any thoughts?

I was running around today, went into a small town and looked through some shops. There was an Daisy Powerline 853 .177cal sitting in a rack. I asked the lady if she knew how old it was and if it worked. She couldn't get a hold of the shop owner, so I didn't get many answers. They were asking under $150 for it. It had general wear, but since I'm not that familiar with it can someone tell me about these rifles and might it be worth a visit. On the off chance it doesn't function can they be fixed or is it a disposable...or as my wife thought a wall ornament? Does have a nice wood stock, worn but still okay. Anyway thoughts appreciated! (Are the 853's by Avanti? Is it US made?)

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Daisy Poweline 853 .177cal any thoughts?

Think this was a single pump pellet rifle with competition style adjustable site and wood stock. I have an old 1973 Daisy Powerline 880 .177cal (I'm the original owner), it works, but the sites are pretty plain and the stock plastic. I'd never seen one of these close up, it looks fairly nice for a probably not very expensive rifle.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Inquisitor wrote:Great entry level 10m gun.

I paid almost 250ish for mine.
Do you have any idea what the age range on this model is? I know on my old 880, the date is hidden and can't be seen unless you disassemble the rifle. Would one of these be worth $150 risk? What's most likely to have gone bad, a seal, valve and are those parts still available? It looks like they still produce these, but are the components the same?

wlewisiii wrote:Can't add to the info tonight on that model, but I'm curious. I'm eyeballing a Model 25 on Amazon instead. Not too accurate or powerful but I always thought that type of pump was just way more cool than the faux lever actions.
I remember the model 25, a friend of mine had a few of those! :beer2:

sikacz wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:Great entry level 10m gun.

I paid almost 250ish for mine.
Do you have any idea what the age range on this model is? I know on my old 880, the date is hidden and can't be seen unless you disassemble the rifle. Would one of these be worth $150 risk? What's most likely to have gone bad, a seal, valve and are those parts still available? It looks like they still produce these, but are the components the same?
It's been around a while. You can get one from the CMP. I would probably have killed for that price if it holds air.