Re: What Book You Reading?

shinzen wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:41 pm I do Goodreads as well, but haven't been great about doing reviews

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I just enjoy seeing what friends are reading, and over time learn which friends have interesting lists or reliable takes. I have one friend where we spread many of the same books, and seeing her star rating versus mine is always interesting.

On topic, I am reading 13 by Richard K Morgan right now.
audite semper, semper discendum

shinzen wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:42 pm Currently reading Vesta Burning - An AI Assault Mission (Legends of the Sentience Wars Book 2)- Part of the MD Cooper universe. I'm a science fiction addict.
I’ll give that series a look.

I’m also a sci fi addict. Mostly feminist sci fi, as exemplified by LeGuin, Melissa Scott, CJ Cherryh, or Ann Leckie, or Yoon Ha Lee, but not always, as evidenced by my ongoing fascination with and occasional distaste for Richard K Morgan or Phillip Dick.

Eris wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:00 pm

Just got this. Not my normal reading fare, but my grandfather was in 8th air force. In fact, the the 4th person from the left in the photo (behind the lead man's right shoulder) may actually be my grandfather. It certainly looks like him, and he did say that the pilot who flew him over to England was a bit older, which matches this photo. Unfortunately, this is the only photo in the book with no description!
My grandfather helped keep enough women on the production line in Los Angeles to roll-out a B29 every day. He somehow came across a serial plate from a B29 after the war. I looked it up and have an original vintage picture of the nose art. I also know it took enemy fire over Japan, but survived the war.

I also met one of the shuttle pilots of B24s who took them into the European theater.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

RapidButterfly wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:04 pm
shinzen wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:42 pm Currently reading Vesta Burning - An AI Assault Mission (Legends of the Sentience Wars Book 2)- Part of the MD Cooper universe. I'm a science fiction addict.

I’m also a sci fi addict. Mostly feminist sci fi, as exemplified by LeGuin, Melissa Scott, CJ Cherryh, or Ann Leckie, or Yoon Ha Lee, but not always, as evidenced by my ongoing fascination with and occasional distaste for Richard K Morgan or Phillip Dick.
I love CJ Cherryh. The Pride of Chanur is one I always recommend because I like the idea of a first contact story told from the viewpoint of the aliens.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 pm
RapidButterfly wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:04 pm

I love CJ Cherryh. The Pride of Chanur is one I always recommend because I like the idea of a first contact story told from the viewpoint of the aliens.
Ah yeah. The Pride of Chanur is one of my favorites. Haven't read that one in years.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I am getting close to finishing The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting up a Generation for Failure by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

The Divided Ground: Indians, Settlers, and the Northern Borderlands of the American Revolution, by Alan Taylor
Some of my ancestors are in this book. So is it history or genealogy?
488F2EAD-29D5-4FE0-A761-DE235A78CAE9.jpeg
488F2EAD-29D5-4FE0-A761-DE235A78CAE9.jpeg (30.4 KiB) Viewed 6895 times
KIRKUS REVIEW
Pulitzer Prize–winning historian Taylor (American Colonies, 2001, etc.) turns in a grand tale “of mutual need and mutual suspicion” as Americans, Indians and the colonial powers vied for mastery of the 18th-century frontier.

His dramatis personae vast, Taylor here focuses on two men: the infamous Mohawk leader Joseph Brant and the lesser known American revolutionary Samuel Kirkland. Fellow students at a Connecticut boarding school, each fought the other when war came. The Mohawks took the British side not out of any love for an imagined mother country but as an expedient of sorts; by the time Kirkland and Brant first met, a great influx of Yankee settlers had overwhelmed the Algonquians of New England, “confining the survivors . . . in a landscape of colonial farms and commercial seaports,” and the independence-minded Mohawks, part of the Iroquois Confederation, had no illusions about their own fate given the land-hungry, westward-looking immigrant population. France’s surprisingly swift collapse following defeat in the Seven Years’ War meant that England was the default choice for protection, with the fox-in-the-henhouse nature of the colonial militia and the Iroquois’ misgivings over “the ability of the untrained and poorly equipped Patriots to compete with the superior discipline and arms of the British regulars.” Kirkland, a minister who came to believe that “the Christian religion was not designed for Indians,” and his fellow frontier colonists, proved a tough enough foe, and in all events, Brant was distracted by the constant need to convince the British that the Indians were not pawns, but “distinct allies, separate and equal.” No such understanding ensued. The British were defeated, and Brant’s followers went into exile in Canada shamefaced but with their suspicions confirmed: In no time, the Yankees had overwhelmed the Iroquois, too, backed by a new government that, unlike Britain’s, “was more solicitous of squatters’ votes than Indians’ rights.”

Illuminating and evenhanded; a sturdy companion to Fred Anderson’s The War That Made America (2005) and other recent studies of the colonial and postcolonial frontier.

“Only Human,” by Sylvain Neuvel, last of the Themis trilogy involving ....I guess you could call it a slightly brainy and well educated Voltron for grown ups. So, aliens and giant robots, but interesting concepts in genetics, alien technology and languages, etc. not overly complex, but a good palate cleanser.

Bullitt68 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:50 pm Currently reading The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey, again after like 30 years. Last one was Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey. Great adventurist writer. Lived in Oracle ,AZ and passed away several years ago. Went an bought out all his books from a used bookstore.
Good timing. Pretty sure I know what Abbey would say (and do) about all this “illegal to protest a pipeline” nonsense.

wooglin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:33 pm
Bullitt68 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:50 pm Currently reading The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey, again after like 30 years. Last one was Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey. Great adventurist writer. Lived in Oracle ,AZ and passed away several years ago. Went an bought out all his books from a used bookstore.
Good timing. Pretty sure I know what Abbey would say (and do) about all this “illegal to protest a pipeline” nonsense.
Motivational reading! LOL
We sit in the mud... and reach for the stars.
Ivan Turgenev

Prevent Suicides Call https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/t ... meone-now/

Bullitt68 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:42 pm
wooglin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:33 pm
Motivational reading! LOL
I just finished this:

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi