tell me about free email accounts

not really entertainment, sorry. we recently moved and had to change our ISP(only one in the area). new ISP doesn't offer email, so we're looking at free email accounts. browser-based, client based, :crazy: vaguely aware of hotmail and gmail. what do y'all recommend, and why?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: tell me about free email accounts

I have several (lot's actually) email addresses. If I was setting up a new email address, it would probably be proton mail- Google's privacy policies suck- remember they are an advertising company first.

That said, I have Gmail today, which functions really well, as it's integrated with a number of Google services which I use as well. Hotmail/Yahoo/Outlook/etc are all pretty dated for their web client, poor spam filters by comparison, and not sure that they are any better from a privacy standpoint.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Lurker, IMO free email is not worth the privacy traded.

Gmail works fine. But they retain the right to look in every email. Many people will tell you they stopped scanning email. In fact, they have a very weasel worded message: https://blog.google/products/gmail/g-su ... ely-align/

All free email providers retain rights to invade your privacy.

I recommend you consider at fastmail.com. Why? It is not expensive ($30/year with 2GB and $50/year with 25GB). I actually have more than 100 network servers in my business and personal life. I could 'easily' host my own email. Why don't I? Upkeep costs. I only pay fastmail $50 per year. I estimate it would require about 10 total hours of maintenance per year at a minimum to manage my own email. My time is worth more than $5 per hour.

And, the fastmail mobile app is great.

But if you want 'free', gmail is likely the best choice. Why? because of the gmail 'alias' trick. You can add an suffix to ANY gmail address.

MyAddress@gmail.com also works with MyAddress+anything@gmail.com - just add a plus sign and you have an email alias. Sure it is easy to find the root email address (just remove the '+anything'.)

[ps] I should have mentioned that fastmail is headquartered in Australia and they will not respond to US Search requests.
Last edited by max129 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

I have four emails - 2 Gmail; 1 Hotmail; 1 from ISP. I do not use the ISP email, which leaves me free to tell them to shove it!! should the need arise with no email repercussions. Gmail and Hotmail are stand alone and go where I go. My Gmail is standard, but I pay for Hotmail ($26/yr.) which gives me 50GB storage and other perks - use mainly because of large file transfers related to business. Have used Mozilla Thunderbird?? and came close to dropping Hotmail when MS started pushing email to Outlook. I still use Live Mail as I HATE Win10 email layout. I'll look for something else when MS forces me to do so. Gmail or Hotmail have been good and I'd recommend either.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

If you are not concerned about privacy issues I'd suggest GMail. A Google account gives you not only email, but also file sharing, an online office suite (word processor, spreadsheet, etc), a decent calendar, Youtube account, and more. You probably won't use even a quarter of the features, but they can be nice to have on the rare occasions that you need them.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I have been switching over to ProtonMail, given the lack of privacy associated with Gmail. ProtonMail is encrypted, but the free version only gives you 500 MB of space (you can pay for additional storage capacity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

Do you (rhetorical 'you,' not specifically looking at @lurker) like email services that read your email? Who datamine your personal info? Me neither.

Although I have other accounts for reasons (alumni stuff, fraternal org stuff, etc.), when I want privacy, I use Tutanota. It's free and features end-to-end encryption with no kludgy add-ons.

https://tutanota.com

(Unless you're in Russia, where it's banned.)
LGC #58559867
אבראהאדאברא
θέλημα Αγάπη

Llew wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 pm Do you (rhetorical 'you,' not specifically looking at @lurker) like email services that read your email? Who datamine your personal info? Me neither.

https://tutanota.com

(Unless you're in Russia, where it's banned.)
at this point i don't really care i they want to waste their time reading my email. i don't send nekkid pics of myself, nor do i share my plans for insurrection. but thanks for the link, it looks interesting

i've been using gmail, which appears no better or worse than most offerings for sending pics of the neighborhood cat and wildflowers.
LUGO2583.JPG
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I have one e-mail I try to keep spam free, it doesn't always work. And I have a second one that I share with sites I don't trust as much and I clean out the spam periodically. My e-mail too is boring, if Russian, Chinese or Iranian hackers are looking for sleeping material read away. I don't have any financials connected by e-mail so haven't worried about it, but probably should get something more secure.

https://nordvpn.com/blog/free-anonymous-email-account/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Free e-mail account? Try Protonmail...it's also secure.
They have "free" and a higher level "pay" version along with a VPN client.
They don't spy on you...probably less likely to turn you over to authorities - like Gmail/Yahoo/Outlook and others who would at the drop of a hat.
G-mail is my now "go-to" for junk mail - an account that's online, I don't use it for anything personal/private/financial if a site needs an e-mail address.
G-mail is the new Yahoo/MSN!

Nord VPN is good too.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

7N6Wolf wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:50 am I have been switching over to ProtonMail, given the lack of privacy associated with Gmail. ProtonMail is encrypted, but the free version only gives you 500 MB of space (you can pay for additional storage capacity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My biggest quibble with ProtonMail is that, if you ever forget your password and opt to change it, you will lose anything stored in the account prior to the password change. This according to the warnings that arise if you start on the "lost my password" path.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.