Re: Movies & Shows That Got it Wrong!

M*A*S*H was full of such things.
Potter and Hawkeye open a Thermos of coffee--that Thermos, with a green plastic body, tan plastic stopper and cup, wasn't made until the late 1970's--I had one just like it when I worked as a carpenter in my misspent youth (it may still be around the house).

They regularly used a Webcor tape recorder that wasn't made until the late 1950's (we had one of those, too!)

"Mrs. Potter bought herself a ten-speed bicycle!" "Gee, she's terrific!"...in 1951??? An army wife in her late 50's? While the modern 10 speed was invented in 1949 by Campagnolo , it wouldn't have been generally available as they were relatively expensive even into the 1960's. I don't know when the step-thru frame versions were developed.

Then there were the darts with the polyvinyl flights. And I believe they had a 1960's radio as well.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

SubRosa wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:09 pm A bathroom scene in "The Sting" where there is a grounding outlet...

SR
The soundtrack of Scott Joplin's music rags? Who died in 1917? For a movie set in the mid-30's? That was the Big Band Era--Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, Paul Whiteman, Louis Armstrong. That would be like a movie set in the 1980's using music from the 1950's.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I don’t think very many movies & tv shows get it right, honestly; about the only ones I can think of, offhand, that do are Michael Mann's (Collateral, Heat, and even Miami Vice (movie—mostly, the HK69 bit excepted)...the John Wick movies are good as far as the gun handling skills, and if you’ve never seen the video of Keanu training with Taran Butler...he takes this stuff seriously. Fun to watch...but gun-fu ain’t my thing.

Beyond that? I expect any Hollywood depiction of gun handling to get it wrong, and am pleasantly surprised when it gets it right.

SubRosa wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:09 pm A bathroom scene in "The Sting" where there is a grounding outlet...

SR
I was just watching "Star Trek: Enterprise" again just last night and when Trip is locked up in a closet in 1944, the wall switch has a grounding outlet as well!

Been watching the Amazon series Tell Me Your Secrets. Is o.k., but a texan drives to MN looking for someone, and while there feels threatened so walks into a MN retail shop and is sold a handgun, which is impossible. I think the sales agent also refers to the gun as a polymer model, but it looks like alloy to me. Frustrating on so many fronts.
Mark

One thing I've noticed in countless war movies.... Some movies went to great lengths for historic accuracy, yet still have the error - a long length of the cotton web belt sticking out beyond the roller-style buckle, in some cases 6"-8" long! It's been more than a few decades since I wore one, but as I recall, the end sticking out was generally no more than 2" long.
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." ― Article VI, United States Constitution

Heretic wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:59 pm One thing I've noticed in countless war movies.... Some movies went to great lengths for historic accuracy, yet still have the error - a long length of the cotton web belt sticking out beyond the roller-style buckle, in some cases 6"-8" long! It's been more than a few decades since I wore one, but as I recall, the end sticking out was generally no more than 2" long.
i have and wear a couple of those. you adjust them to fit by pulling the excess to the back, then trim off the excess. probably not something you'd bother to do with a film company's costume/props
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:46 pm
Heretic wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:59 pm One thing I've noticed in countless war movies.... Some movies went to great lengths for historic accuracy, yet still have the error - a long length of the cotton web belt sticking out beyond the roller-style buckle, in some cases 6"-8" long! It's been more than a few decades since I wore one, but as I recall, the end sticking out was generally no more than 2" long.
i have and wear a couple of those. you adjust them to fit by pulling the excess to the back, then trim off the excess. probably not something you'd bother to do with a film company's costume/props
It's just amusing, in that it's a rather noticeable breach of uniform regulations and so easy to avoid, especially if there's any attempt at presenting historical accuracy. (Even more so when the actors involved were veterans themselves and would be expected to know better...)
"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." ― Article VI, United States Constitution

Heretic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:26 pm
lurker wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:46 pm
It's just amusing, in that it's a rather noticeable breach of uniform regulations and so easy to avoid, especially if there's any attempt at presenting historical accuracy. (Even more so when the actors involved were veterans themselves and would be expected to know better...)
Perhaps they simply did not pay attention to this detail, the emphasis was on the reliable transmission of events that took place during the war years. And at the expense of costumes - in many historical films there are such little things that do not correspond to the time.