Re: What song are you listening to right now?

Hiker wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:57 pm Hard Times by Stephen Foster, performed by the Red Clay Ramblers
I used to LOVE the Ramblers! Saw them in Chapel Hill, NC (their home town) and again in Northern Virginia. Tommy Thompson was still the driving force then, RIP, and Merchant's lunch is still a clever, funny song. "Hard Times" was well done, but I always like "Daniel" with the harmonies and counterpoint.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Misty ala Joe Pass...
A version that I struggled with for decades, getting close once. Now in the throws or arthritic delight, a distant memory.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKuPa2R822M [/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaxU0TzdMbM [/youtube]

If I botched linking the youtube (it appears I did), sorry...it's been a long time and things have changed.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Grateful Dead
China Cat/Rider 4/17/1972
Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen, Denmark

I saw Joe Pass maybe a dozen times and from time to time he'd play Misty for us. One of the best was at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach, but the best was at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, when his agent said there'd be three sets, but the ad said two sets. After the second set most everyone left, then Joe walks back out, looks around, says, "Hey. Come on down here." Like 40 of us saw his third set from like two rows away. Sweet. And every single time I saw him he told the same joke about the guitar player who walks up and says, "Do you know this chord?" and Joe makes this awkward and impossible fingering his left hand on his right arm. I laughed every time.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:09 pm I saw Joe Pass maybe a dozen times...
Jealousy is not an admirable trait. Still, wish I could say the same. I envy your experience!

His touch is one of the few that I haven't been able to cop. I can read the charts (transcriptions), but the flavor eludes me. I never had the opportunity to meet him and I'd've sorely loved to have 'taken a lesson' from him...it just never ... wait for it ... wait ...

Came to Pass...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:50 pm
CDFingers wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:09 pm I saw Joe Pass maybe a dozen times...
Jealousy is not an admirable trait. Still, wish I could say the same. I envy your experience!

His touch is one of the few that I haven't been able to cop. I can read the charts (transcriptions), but the flavor eludes me. I never had the opportunity to meet him and I'd've sorely loved to have 'taken a lesson' from him...it just never ... wait for it ... wait ...

Came to Pass...
I had a Guild Artist Award for a time, but I could never be as good as those jazz guys. Stuck to finger style and my ol' Martin. But it sure gives me an giant appreciation for those guys. Mundell Lowe. Man, he was smooth. Loads of vinyl down in the basement. Jim Hall. SoCal back in the day fairly oozed excellent jazz gigs.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:45 pm SoCal back in the day fairly oozed excellent jazz gigs.
It did.

And while my work spanned the gauntlet of whatever the guy with the checkbook wanted, I always gravitated to jazz. My daughter finds it odd that, despite a rather old quintessential "rock guitar" occupying space in the room I've set aside for music (that seems to be valuable beyond all sense of reason), the guitar I'll never part with (and have promised to her with the caveat that she can't sell it, that it remain in the family) is a jazz box.
We Are So Screwed

Y'all might be interested in hearing Mitch Polzak. He's a guitarist that leads the group Mitch Polzak and the Royal Deuces. He is putting on solo Facebook shows during the lockdown on Tuesdays and Fridays. Free but he has a tip jar. Tuesdays are his banjo bonanza. Fridays are guitar. His style is classic country, bluegrass, surf, American Roots music, rockabilly, honky tonk, you get the idea. Today, June 19th, 2020,it's a Waylon Jennings tribute. I've seen him live in SF and know his regular drummer. Mitch is a nice guy. He is even the mayor of Porta Costa, CA.

Here's a video from his show Friday June 12th, 2020. 3 hours solo!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/mitch.polzak/v ... 879990541/

To go on a minor tangent:
I've noticed that 3 commercials are using some really surprisingly good background tunes.

A dog food commercial is using Beethoven's 7th Symphony.

Volvo has for some bizarre reason is using a Pete Seeger cover of Hard Times at the Mill he recorded in the late '50's. What that has to do with the epitome of upper-middle class autos is a mystery.

And Allstate is using a cut of Edith Piaf's "Non, je ne regrette rien" another rather odd choice.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

rolandson wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:44 pm Misty ala Joe Pass...
A version that I struggled with for decades, getting close once. Now in the throws or arthritic delight, a distant memory.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKuPa2R822M [/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaxU0TzdMbM [/youtube]

If I botched linking the youtube (it appears I did), sorry...it's been a long time and things have changed.
:love: What a lovely rendition...
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six