Distance practice are skills transferrable?

A little background to color my question, I am interested primarily in home defense. I bought a lever gun in 357 magnum and a 410 shotgun for this purpose. The ranges in my area only allow pistols or 22lr rifles at 25 yards. The shortest range available for what I have is 50 yards but I am concerned that using a 50 yard range will only really teach me to shoot at a much longer distance than I need to and might make me used to taking longer to aim due to distance than I should considering the purpose I have.

So what I am wondering is if the skills from shooting at 50 yards trickle down to 25 and the much more likely 10 yards distances I am thinking about for a home defense situation? Are there practice pitfalls I should be aware of when firing farther that might impede me?

Re: Distance practice are skills transferrable?

lurker wrote:may i suggest you work on "point shooting" as well as "aimed shooting"? i'm planning to do the same with pistol. being largely satisfied with my aimed paper plate slaying skills, i want to work on unaimed "point and shoot" when the range re-opens. i expect to suck at first.
For pistol training, let me just say the SIRT has been a huge help for me. I can just stand in a room and practice for 30 minutes here and there, picking out random objects in the room and stuff hanging on the wall, and get instant feedback with the laser to see how good each shot was.

kronkmusic wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:38 pm
lurker wrote:may i suggest you work on "point shooting" as well as "aimed shooting"? i'm planning to do the same with pistol. being largely satisfied with my aimed paper plate slaying skills, i want to work on unaimed "point and shoot" when the range re-opens. i expect to suck at first.
For pistol training, let me just say the SIRT has been a huge help for me. I can just stand in a room and practice for 30 minutes here and there, picking out random objects in the room and stuff hanging on the wall, and get instant feedback with the laser to see how good each shot was.
+1 and +1

i was going to say that yes it transfers, and the target will be bigger (closer) but marlene said it better.
I just wonder how totally different would it be, if it all would happening in the night conditions, and you would wear night vision goggles, or something like thermal binoculars. I don't know of your preferences in night vision's gear, but I like one of these ( website: https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal ... binoculars ), called AGM COBRA TB50-336, cause it has nice resolution and refresh rate.