Re: Suggestions for ranges and instructors in the Baltimore area

BaconRebellion wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:39 pm Obviously, I'm looking for places that arent hostile to left leaning individuals, such as ourselves. Its not that I want to have political discussions, its that I DON'T and having to bite my tongue in todays political climate is nealy impossible for me. I cant hide contempt. Well, its difficult to, at any rate.

Thanks!
You live in Baltimore, not Jackson MS. :D

I learned a long time ago to just keep my opinions to myself around armed MAGA at a gun range.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

BaconRebellion wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:39 pm Obviously, I'm looking for places that arent hostile to left leaning individuals, such as ourselves. Its not that I want to have political discussions, its that I DON'T and having to bite my tongue in todays political climate is nealy impossible for me. I cant hide contempt. Well, its difficult to, at any rate.

Thanks!
At a range, politics just never comes up. At the counter, someone might make a crack about gun-grabbers. Just ignore it or laugh it off.

Come live down in the Deep South and you'll get a lot of practice at that, but not at a gun range. It just really doesn't happen.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

i like to pretend to be an old-style republican and advocate for weld, or walsh or even kasich (who most trumpsters have never heard of, and wont because no rep primaries) in contrast to the russian agent. they can't very well attack you for being a dirty libtard, can they, while you talk about how incompetent, incoherent, inconsistent the current standard-bearer for the "party of family values" is with impunity.

but k9 is right, the range is the wrong place.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I can name a few ranges around here, depending on what you want.

On Target is in Hanover a few yards from Fort Meade.

Free State Gun Range is in Dundalk, near the Key Bridge.

Maryland Small Arms is in Upper Marlboro, not too far from Andrew's AFB

Those are all indoors and are attached to gun shops. I live about 5 min from On Target, and it's fine if you need to sight in or only shoot pistols or smaller caliber rifles. I shoot mostly big-bore black powder guns, so I dont get there much.

For outdoor ranges, there are several clubs in the area, the biggest being a collaborative called Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore. You join of the 20-odd clubs, and then you are able to purchase a range pass for the huge range (rifles out to 200 yds, shotgun, pistol, archery).

Hap Baker is in Carroll County and is a public range run by the County out to 200 yards.

Delmarva is my favorite. It's a public range (privately owned business) 90 minutes from me in Severn on the Eastern Shore, but it's got gongs to 500 yards, a sporting clays course, and action pistol bays.

Then there are a few private clubs with their own ranges.

As others have noted, I've run into more Neoconservative/MAGA conversations at the LGS than at the range. Most of those come from the employees.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk