Appleseed last weekend

Sam and I attended our first Appleseed event in Harvard, MA last weekend! I was bruised, sore, exhausted; and by the end of the second day, really happy! I literally have bruises on my hip, knee, shoulder, both elbows, but thank god not on my jawline, lol, that would be hard to explain at work. I went from struggling to even get into prone position and still hold the rifle to getting at least a mid-marksman's score. I know it's not a rifleman's patch, but I WILL GET ONE! The first day we both used our CZ455 UL bolt action rifles which was way too much to deal with for either one of us. The second day the instructors lent us their Ruger 10/22's and it was like night and day. Sam couldn't really do prone without hurting his back but I think he'll be able to do it eventually with some practice and without such an intense amount of time in that position. But he did pretty well even just sitting. Neither of us are spring chickens so I feel like this was a major physical challenge for both of us and we really stuck it out, so I'm proud of that too. There was a man who got his first rifleman's patch and another guy who's gunning for a perfect score at an event. There were three kids there, including a young teen girl which was nice to see. I loved the stories about the battle of Lexington and Concord, especially since we were only a few miles from the Battle Road. Super inspiring! Can't wait till the next one and I HIGHLY recommend that anyone go to one of these events! www.appleseedinfo.org
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain

Re: Appleseed last weekend

I attended my first Appleseed Project last March, and I'm going for a second time this weekend. I used my CZ 455 Ultra Lux with iron sights last time, and I'll be using it again this weekend. Running the bolt unquestionably increases the difficulty level (particularly during magazine changes), but I don't mind. Whenever I earn my patch with the bolty and iron sights, just about everything else should be comparatively simple from that point on.

I did Appleseed 8 years ago. Now that I have learned a lot more about shooting, I would love to take it again. But it seems that in my area they are not offered very often. And from what I can tell, the folks that used to teach Appleseed have switched to a group called Revere's Riders. https://www.reveresriders.org/.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

TriggerPuller wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:26 am I attended my first Appleseed Project last March, and I'm going for a second time this weekend. I used my CZ 455 Ultra Lux with iron sights last time, and I'll be using it again this weekend. Running the bolt unquestionably increases the difficulty level (particularly during magazine changes), but I don't mind. Whenever I earn my patch with the bolty and iron sights, just about everything else should be comparatively simple from that point on.
Well that give me hope about my CZ! I eventually hope to be able to run that one in an Appleseed too but for now I'm going to get a Ruger 10/22 or a Savage A22 and make my life easier (and fun!) I also hated rubbing my baby in the dirt and getting it all sandy. Poor thing has led a sheltered life.

Let me know how it goes this weekend!

Looking at doing one next month. Question for those that have done one: I'll be taking my 10/22 super deluxe specialized gizmo plinker. It has a bull barrel so I cant run irons. Currently use a 4.5x14 Mueller that will adjust down to an AO of 15m. BUT I could also yank that and run a Burris FastFire 3MOA to get a little closer to an open sights feel. Thoughts?
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

foghorn wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:20 pm Looking at doing one next month. Question for those that have done one: I'll be taking my 10/22 super deluxe specialized gizmo plinker. It has a bull barrel so I cant run irons. Currently use a 4.5x14 Mueller that will adjust down to an AO of 15m. BUT I could also yank that and run a Burris FastFire 3MOA to get a little closer to an open sights feel. Thoughts?
The Appleseed I went to had several people using scopes, including a guy that got rifleman and someone who is training to be an instructor. You don't want too high magnification because it's only 25 meters and you will be doing timed tests of 40 rounds over 4 minutes moving between standing, sitting and prone position, so have to be able to find the target fairly quickly. But it sounds like your current setup might work ok, I think the lower magnification might be easier though. You also need a web sling, nothing padded or fancy. Take at least 500-600 rounds of ammo! My husband and I burned through at least 1000 between the two of us this past weekend, and I think I shot more than half of that. I think next time I'll bring a bandana if it looks like there will be any wind, I could still feel the smoke/grit in my throat two days later! (Ohhh and there willlll be a next time!)

foghorn wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:20 pm Looking at doing one next month. Question for those that have done one: I'll be taking my 10/22 super deluxe specialized gizmo plinker. It has a bull barrel so I cant run irons. Currently use a 4.5x14 Mueller that will adjust down to an AO of 15m. BUT I could also yank that and run a Burris FastFire 3MOA to get a little closer to an open sights feel. Thoughts?
Go with the scope. You’ll be shooting at various targets, the smallest of which is about 1 square inch, from 25 meters. My old eyes needed the scope.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

That helps. I'll print out the AQT and try it this weekend. The scope is what I'm used to shooting, but from a bench with a bipod. Thought about this when I was in GA, but forgot until this post. Thanks for the reminder, and it's less than a half hour away.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...