LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH 15 UNDERWAY

The place to find LGC Postal Matches, our own Bullseye Club, and ongoing conversations about marksmanship, practice, and safety.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Paco, Bucolic, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH 15 UNDERWAY

Post by SailDesign »

Shot the Rimfire and Centrefire Open sight divisions today. Rimfire wasn't tooooo bad, but CF I managed an amazing score of 166. That sets the low point, I hope. :)

Rimfire Glass next weekend hopefully.

EDIT: Centrefire was with the 3.5" barrelled Sauer & Sohn from 1942 - 13 years older than me. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Bacchus »

SailDesign wrote:Shot the Rimfire and Centrefire Open sight divisions today. Rimfire wasn't tooooo bad, but CF I managed an amazing score of 166. That sets the low point, I hope. :)

EDIT: Centrefire was with the 3.5" barrelled Sauer & Sohn from 1942 - 13 years older than me. :)
:yahoo:
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

ImageImage

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Buck13 »

Bucolic wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:56 am

I use “cover stock” from Staples for my targets. Not as heavy as card stock but stiff enough that I get nice bullet holes that don’t tear.
What weight paper? Any cotton content? My 24 pound paper tears more than I'd like.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

Buck13 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:06 pm
Bucolic wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:56 am

I use “cover stock” from Staples for my targets. Not as heavy as card stock but stiff enough that I get nice bullet holes that don’t tear.
What weight paper? Any cotton content? My 24 pound paper tears more than I'd like.
I use G-P cardstock from Mallwart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Georgia-Paci ... 3=&veh=sem

ImageImageImage

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH 15 UNDERWAY

Post by Bucolic »

I use this https://www.staples.com/Staples-Cover-S ... uct_490882

67 pound. Nice clean holes with little tearing.

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Buck13 »

Thanks. I don't think the Office Max I was in this morning had anything quite like that. Certainly not for even close to that price!

ImageImage

sturner
Grizzled Veteran

Post by sturner »

SailDesign wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:26 pm
Shot the Rimfire and Centrefire Open sight divisions today. Rimfire wasn't tooooo bad, but CF I managed an amazing score of 166. That sets the low point, I hope. :)

Don’t worry, I was chasing you down there. I got a 184, in center fire with my Sig Sauer, P239.

We will do better next time!
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

sturner wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:25 pm
SailDesign wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:26 pm

Don’t worry, I was chasing you down there. I got a 184, in center fire with my Sig Sauer, P239.

We will do better next time!
Yes. Yes we will! :D

ImageImageImage

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

There always should be a next time...

:-)

CDFingers
ImageImage
And if a man among you got no sin upon his hand
let him cast a stone at me for playin' in the band.

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

CDFingers wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 am
There always should be a next time...

:-)

CDFingers
Amen!! (If an atheist is allowed to use the term without being accused of Cultural Appropriation)

Sent in my Rimfire/Optics scores last weekend - a respectable-but-not-stellar 271. Am happy with that, as it is about where I usually score. :)

ImageImageImage

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Bucolic »

I still have been unable to get to the range to practice, much less to shoot the match.
. I haven’t shot my .22 pistols in at least three months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SailDesign »

Bucolic wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:18 pm
I still have been unable to get to the range to practice, much less to shoot the match.
. I haven’t shot my .22 pistols in at least three months.
You have 6 weeks at least... No hurry. :)

ImageImageImage

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by MaxWyatt »

Six weeks will go by quickly for me since I'm trying to work out a better practice strategy. Normally when I go to the range, I set up targets at 30ft to warm up and then move the targets to 45ft for the rest of the session. I haven't seen much improvement for quite a while so I'm going to try a different practice routing. I plan to shoot at 20ft until I can reliably put ten shots into a single ragged hole and then move the targets to 25ft and repeat at 5ft intervals until I get back to the 45ft distance we use for the matches. I probably won't be shooting 300's for the upcoming match, but I figure it's time to try something different. Maybe by Match 16 I can get my scores above 250. :oops:

Eris

Post by Eris »

MaxWyatt wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 pm
Six weeks will go by quickly for me since I'm trying to work out a better practice strategy. Normally when I go to the range, I set up targets at 30ft to warm up and then move the targets to 45ft for the rest of the session. I haven't seen much improvement for quite a while so I'm going to try a different practice routing. I plan to shoot at 20ft until I can reliably put ten shots into a single ragged hole and then move the targets to 25ft and repeat at 5ft intervals until I get back to the 45ft distance we use for the matches. I probably won't be shooting 300's for the upcoming match, but I figure it's time to try something different. Maybe by Match 16 I can get my scores above 250. :oops:
That's basically how I practice, though I can't consistently get that single ragged hole yet. The gun just seems to move around and wobble too much for me.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by MaxWyatt »

In my case, it's not the gun that wobbles. I think it's mostly me. ;-)

SeaDragonTattoo
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by SeaDragonTattoo »

I lost my shooting partner and it's been harder to make myself get to the range as regularly as when I had someone to schedule and stick to the plans with. Getting back into it via a new defensive pistol class that's got a weekly schedule I can make myself get to at least twice a month, and I'm hoping that will get me going for standing-still lane time at least once a month on top of that. I can shoot the Bullseye during the lane time. Need a couple more sessions, three months and only having gone a couple times has really taken a toll on hitting anywhere in the black on those targets!
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety

username

Post by username »

New to the club- I'll have to go cut some paper and send it. Neat idea.

Eris

Post by Eris »

Just sent in my scores. Still not great, but I'm pleased to say that it was 28 points higher than last time. :yahoo:
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Buck13 »

Yay shooting! Boo La Niña! (Obviously, I haven't been taking advantage of the skiing.)

Not that this was literally the first sunny weekend day, but it's been a wet and chilly spring. Finally made it to the range for the first time since January to enjoy the sun. I was erratic, as usual, but was pretty happy with my warm-up/practice hour and a half.

Made my usual very mediocre showing at slow fire in rimfire, but hit 95 in timed fire and would have broken 260 for the first time ever except I made an accidental double-tap in my first rapid string and so dropped the 4th round well outside the Six ring. :oops:

Shot centerfire with my S&W 19 for the first time, and the less said, the better. At least my score was better than the last time I used my 10 mm for this game, when I didn't even break 200.

But the day overall was a success. I almost felt not-incompetent a couple of times, but my standards are low.

ImageImage

danhue
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by danhue »

This is a neat idea, and I will give it a try. I expect to do horribly, but I like the goal orientation of such a challenge.

I have one question though...Does any one of you use prescription glasses to shoot? I just use reading glasses underneath safety goggles, and that seems fine at close distance, but even 15 yards is awfully blurry (especially indoor in relatively low light). I think I need real prescription glasses, but I don't know what to look for or what to ask the optometrist for. Any advice?
Last edited by danhue on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

methodmissing
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by methodmissing »

danhue wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:10 am
I have one question though...Does any one of you use prescription glasses to shoot? I just use reading glasses underneath safety goggles, and that seems fine at close distance, but even 15 feet is awfully blurry (especially indoor in relatively low light). I think I need real prescription glasses, but I don't know what to look for or what to ask the optometrist for. Any advice?
I shoot with prescription glasses. My frames are medium-sized rounds. The normal glare-reduction treatment should be good. If you shoot outdoors, maybe yellowed or standard sunglasses.
Also, your glasses do not count as protective eyewear. I wear these over mine, they fit great and I forget they're on after a minute. http://a.co/fRP9QBW

They never fog up and don't glare. I have been hit in the face with brass and it didn't mark the shield at all.

danhue
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by danhue »

Thanks. Are these just regular prescription glasses, or did you get them specifically for shooting? Also are bifocal or progressive lenses?

BTW I fixed my original post. The distance I’m starting too have issues is past 10 yards, not feet. (That would be pretty bad. )

Merle
Been around awhile

Post by Merle »

methodmissing wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:46 am
danhue wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:10 am
I have one question though...Does any one of you use prescription glasses to shoot? I just use reading glasses underneath safety goggles, and that seems fine at close distance, but even 15 feet is awfully blurry (especially indoor in relatively low light). I think I need real prescription glasses, but I don't know what to look for or what to ask the optometrist for. Any advice?
I shoot with prescription glasses. My frames are medium-sized rounds. The normal glare-reduction treatment should be good. If you shoot outdoors, maybe yellowed or standard sunglasses.
Also, your glasses do not count as protective eyewear. I wear these over mine, they fit great and I forget they're on after a minute. http://a.co/fRP9QBW

They never fog up and don't glare. I have been hit in the face with brass and it didn't mark the shield at all.
One minor correction - some eyeglasses do count as protection. When I worked at Newport News Shipbuilding I spent the extra money to get that option. Check your eyeglass supplier to see if they offer that option. :cool:
Merle from PA

ImageImage

Merle
Been around awhile

Post by Merle »

danhue wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 am
Thanks. Are these just regular prescription glasses, or did you get them specifically for shooting? Also are bifocal or progressive lenses?

BTW I fixed my original post. The distance I’m starting too have issues is past 10 yards, not feet. (That would be pretty bad. )

Mine are regular progressive bifocals. Some folks get "special" glasses, with the "focal point" adjusted to suit their discipline.
Merle from PA

ImageImage

MaxWyatt
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by MaxWyatt »

Eris wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:14 pm
Just sent in my scores. Still not great, but I'm pleased to say that it was 28 points higher than last time. :yahoo:
Well done. :clap: