Re: LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH 15 UNDERWAY

SailDesign wrote:Shot the Rimfire and Centrefire Open sight divisions today. Rimfire wasn't tooooo bad, but CF I managed an amazing score of 166. That sets the low point, I hope. :)

Rimfire Glass next weekend hopefully.

EDIT: Centrefire was with the 3.5" barrelled Sauer & Sohn from 1942 - 13 years older than me. :)
:yahoo:
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Buck13 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:06 pm
Bucolic wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:56 am
I use “cover stock” from Staples for my targets. Not as heavy as card stock but stiff enough that I get nice bullet holes that don’t tear.
What weight paper? Any cotton content? My 24 pound paper tears more than I'd like.
I use G-P cardstock from Mallwart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Georgia-Paci ... 3=&veh=sem
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:26 pm Shot the Rimfire and Centrefire Open sight divisions today. Rimfire wasn't tooooo bad, but CF I managed an amazing score of 166. That sets the low point, I hope. :)

EDIT: Centrefire was with the 3.5" barrelled Sauer & Sohn from 1942 - 13 years older than me. :)
Don’t worry, I was chasing you down there. I got a 184, in center fire with my Sig Sauer, P239.

We will do better next time!
If you want to be a leader, lead from the front, and don't look back.

sturner wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:25 pm
SailDesign wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:26 pm Shot the Rimfire and Centrefire Open sight divisions today. Rimfire wasn't tooooo bad, but CF I managed an amazing score of 166. That sets the low point, I hope. :)

Don’t worry, I was chasing you down there. I got a 184, in center fire with my Sig Sauer, P239.

We will do better next time!
Yes. Yes we will! :D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Six weeks will go by quickly for me since I'm trying to work out a better practice strategy. Normally when I go to the range, I set up targets at 30ft to warm up and then move the targets to 45ft for the rest of the session. I haven't seen much improvement for quite a while so I'm going to try a different practice routing. I plan to shoot at 20ft until I can reliably put ten shots into a single ragged hole and then move the targets to 25ft and repeat at 5ft intervals until I get back to the 45ft distance we use for the matches. I probably won't be shooting 300's for the upcoming match, but I figure it's time to try something different. Maybe by Match 16 I can get my scores above 250. :oops:

MaxWyatt wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 pm Six weeks will go by quickly for me since I'm trying to work out a better practice strategy. Normally when I go to the range, I set up targets at 30ft to warm up and then move the targets to 45ft for the rest of the session. I haven't seen much improvement for quite a while so I'm going to try a different practice routing. I plan to shoot at 20ft until I can reliably put ten shots into a single ragged hole and then move the targets to 25ft and repeat at 5ft intervals until I get back to the 45ft distance we use for the matches. I probably won't be shooting 300's for the upcoming match, but I figure it's time to try something different. Maybe by Match 16 I can get my scores above 250. :oops:
That's basically how I practice, though I can't consistently get that single ragged hole yet. The gun just seems to move around and wobble too much for me.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I lost my shooting partner and it's been harder to make myself get to the range as regularly as when I had someone to schedule and stick to the plans with. Getting back into it via a new defensive pistol class that's got a weekly schedule I can make myself get to at least twice a month, and I'm hoping that will get me going for standing-still lane time at least once a month on top of that. I can shoot the Bullseye during the lane time. Need a couple more sessions, three months and only having gone a couple times has really taken a toll on hitting anywhere in the black on those targets!
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety

Yay shooting! Boo La Niña! (Obviously, I haven't been taking advantage of the skiing.)

Not that this was literally the first sunny weekend day, but it's been a wet and chilly spring. Finally made it to the range for the first time since January to enjoy the sun. I was erratic, as usual, but was pretty happy with my warm-up/practice hour and a half.

Made my usual very mediocre showing at slow fire in rimfire, but hit 95 in timed fire and would have broken 260 for the first time ever except I made an accidental double-tap in my first rapid string and so dropped the 4th round well outside the Six ring. :oops:

Shot centerfire with my S&W 19 for the first time, and the less said, the better. At least my score was better than the last time I used my 10 mm for this game, when I didn't even break 200.

But the day overall was a success. I almost felt not-incompetent a couple of times, but my standards are low.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

This is a neat idea, and I will give it a try. I expect to do horribly, but I like the goal orientation of such a challenge.

I have one question though...Does any one of you use prescription glasses to shoot? I just use reading glasses underneath safety goggles, and that seems fine at close distance, but even 15 yards is awfully blurry (especially indoor in relatively low light). I think I need real prescription glasses, but I don't know what to look for or what to ask the optometrist for. Any advice?
Last edited by danhue on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

danhue wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:10 am I have one question though...Does any one of you use prescription glasses to shoot? I just use reading glasses underneath safety goggles, and that seems fine at close distance, but even 15 feet is awfully blurry (especially indoor in relatively low light). I think I need real prescription glasses, but I don't know what to look for or what to ask the optometrist for. Any advice?
I shoot with prescription glasses. My frames are medium-sized rounds. The normal glare-reduction treatment should be good. If you shoot outdoors, maybe yellowed or standard sunglasses.
Also, your glasses do not count as protective eyewear. I wear these over mine, they fit great and I forget they're on after a minute. http://a.co/fRP9QBW

They never fog up and don't glare. I have been hit in the face with brass and it didn't mark the shield at all.

methodmissing wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:46 am
danhue wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:10 am I have one question though...Does any one of you use prescription glasses to shoot? I just use reading glasses underneath safety goggles, and that seems fine at close distance, but even 15 feet is awfully blurry (especially indoor in relatively low light). I think I need real prescription glasses, but I don't know what to look for or what to ask the optometrist for. Any advice?
I shoot with prescription glasses. My frames are medium-sized rounds. The normal glare-reduction treatment should be good. If you shoot outdoors, maybe yellowed or standard sunglasses.
Also, your glasses do not count as protective eyewear. I wear these over mine, they fit great and I forget they're on after a minute. http://a.co/fRP9QBW

They never fog up and don't glare. I have been hit in the face with brass and it didn't mark the shield at all.
One minor correction - some eyeglasses do count as protection. When I worked at Newport News Shipbuilding I spent the extra money to get that option. Check your eyeglass supplier to see if they offer that option. :cool:
Merle from PA

danhue wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:53 am Thanks. Are these just regular prescription glasses, or did you get them specifically for shooting? Also are bifocal or progressive lenses?

BTW I fixed my original post. The distance I’m starting too have issues is past 10 yards, not feet. (That would be pretty bad. )

Mine are regular progressive bifocals. Some folks get "special" glasses, with the "focal point" adjusted to suit their discipline.
Merle from PA