Re: LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH 15 UNDERWAY

Any time I break 200 with the .357 one handed I'm good with it. My goal of course is higher.

Once I get my schedule organized so I can get back out to my reloading shack, I'll return to the Ruger Vaquero for Bullseye. Admittedly the single action revolver gives me almost zero real world skills as far as defense goes and so on. It's not my PD revolver, which is what the GP100 is for, but the Vaquero is hella fun. Last Bullseye match I shot my new 1911. This time the PD gun. Who knows what will happen next match--not me. I almost always shoot the MKII at any rate.

I warmed up on the 1911 with unfamiliar ammo. I made a review of the Tula steel case .45 acp.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48123

I thought I'd shoot three of the .357's at an X made with masking tape at the 15 yard mark to see what was what. I have to say, that first round, even after fifty .45's, was a shocker. Yuge fireball and stupendous concussion. Now, being that I was indoors, I'd donned a set of foam ear plugs first before I'd put on my 32 dB ears, so I was ready. But the contrast was really significant. Well, 850 fps with the .45 and 1230 fps with the .357 certainly added "breaking the sound barrier" to the thunder indoors.

I did notice that the 1911 and the GP100 point differently. Each has a natural point for me, but these two natural points are different. It took two or three rounds with the GP100 to get my wrist right after the Springer. After that it was fine. But the two grips are very different, so there is some area for experimentation in the future for me.

Since this is my PD weapon, I shot these one handed in double action. I can see the revolver wiggle in the air during the slow section as I slowly squeeze the trigger in double action. I don't know whether this kind of practice goes according to Hoyle or what not. Not sure. I reason that a slow squeeze will allow me to examine the whole thing as I play, so that when--god forbid--I have to do it for reals a tempo, everything will be smooth. I figure that I can't do it smoothly quickly until I can do it smoothly slowly.

scn1.jpg

The group of 3 at 11 o'clock demonstrates a habit I have that I have to get rid of--but it's consistent. The five in the black is just me needing tighter aim. The one at 7 o'clock represents I think an anticipation. The one at 2:30 is just me missing.

I have to say, Paco, that these matches are in many ways many godsends to me. Thank you for keeping them going.

on edit, one more thing. I almost always shoot hand guns one handed. The hand gun, not hands gun, and so on. I wondered at the end what would happen if I shot cup and saucer double action three rounds at seven yards--CCW qual type. A twenty five cent piece could've covered 'em. So, kids, I suggest one handed shooting to improve two handed group size ("try this at home, kids"). :laugh:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I just submitted my first scores. I shot my Buckmark 22LR with iron sights.

It was fun to have a goal, as opposed to randomly practicing. I only scored 202, but I am actually rather happy because better centering on the slow fire string would have made a big difference. The spread was good, but I was high and right. I adjusted for the timed fire string, and did great. Rapid firing needs work...

IMG_0982.JPG
Last edited by danhue on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I hope it wasn't one of you guys, but...

I went to the range today, and after I had enjoyed a bit of 22 rifle off-hand at 25 yards I noticed a target creep out to the 15-yard line, sat there, and then there was a lot of loud noise, and I checked the target to find out that it must have been a VERY slow-burning shotgun shell. I kid you not, the "group" was to the edges of a 15" square target, and the rounds were throwing sparks off the backdrop supports.

Holding my breath, I sauntered down the line, as though looking for a lost cat, and the guy was firing an AR-clone of some kind, with stock, not just a "pistol" thing. Surely to heavens those things can be shot accurately. Can't they? I'd have been embarrassed.....

The target below was my first shot, cold barrel - 1885 Winchester, Norma Match, Nikon 4x scope, 25 yards.

Of course - I had to ruin things by trying to better that, so the next nine shots did this:

The target black is 6", so I'm not REALLY complaining, but.....
Last edited by SailDesign on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Very sad that I will be missing this one. :weep: :weep:

My usual JIT process didn't work for me this time, and there ended up being too damn much... life. It looks like y'all have been practicing and improving though, which is excellent. :) I'll be back next match, so don't get too comfortable... :roflmao:

ETA: Sail, nice shooting! I'd have been tempted to wa- ,err... strut away after that first shot and shoot the match at a later date.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:35 pm Very sad that I will be missing this one. :weep: :weep:

My usual JIT process didn't work for me this time, and there ended up being too damn much... life. It looks like y'all have been practicing and improving though, which is excellent. :) I'll be back next match, so don't get too comfortable... :roflmao:

ETA: Sail, nice shooting! I'd have been tempted to wa- ,err... strut away after that first shot and shoot the match at a later date.
Thanks, Bacchus - I'm not sure how I ended up posting that here, but I think my rant about a 15-yard rifle-shooter doing MUCH worse than any of us have done with a handgun kinda ran into tooting my own horn a bit. Shoot, no-one else is gonna toot it. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:58 pm I went to the range today, and after I had enjoyed a bit of 22 rifle off-hand at 25 yards I noticed a target creep out to the 15-yard line, sat there, and then there was a lot of loud noise, and I checked the target to find out that it must have been a VERY slow-burning shotgun shell. I kid you not, the "group" was to the edges of a 15" square target, and the rounds were throwing sparks off the backdrop supports.
Ahh, tales of the tacticool tyros. :lol: Keep 'em coming. I love that shit!

Nice shooting.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Since we're showing our work this week, I'll play along.

First target is a warm-up with a box of Aquila SE from a S&W K22 (circa 1954) inherited from my dad. Upper left shot one-handed, as CDFingers would approve. This is about as good as I can do in true Bullseye stance. All the rest are two handed. Those are 4.5" diamonds with 1" grids at 50 feet. After the second target (lower left) I should have quit while I was ahead. ;)

Put up new targets only on the left side. Shot 10 x Eley Target at upper left from K22, then switched to my GP100. Xtreme plated 158 gr SWCs, 4.2 gr HP38, .38 brass on top targets, Nolser 158 JHP on lower right. Hmmm. Was it the bullets, or did I pull my shit together suddenly?

Then switched to guns I used for the match: Ruger MkII Target and S&W 19-3. Boring warm-up and sight adjustment targets not shown.

My rimfire targets for score. My rapid-fire group, except for the accidental double-tap at 7:00 (lower-right), is better than my slow-fire group, which is not a very unusual result. I really need someone to coach me! Maybe I have what archers call "target panic."

And my centerfire targets for score. Again, put up clean targets only on the left side. Ignore the lower-left which was just more practice/verifying sight setting. My old habit of pulling to the left is back for timed-fire. Really choked one shot in each string of rapid-fire. :yucky: Gotta love those zeros. :wavecry: I guess if I'm going to use this gun for the match, I should also use it for my home dry-fire practice instead of the GP100, but the GP100 isn't old enough that I care about needless wear on it.

tl;dr I kinda suck.

LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH 15 UNDERWAY

No, I don’t think you were expelled...

I believe that Paco is still on his electronics-free sabbatical. I was contacted a few weeks ago to ask me if I would take over for him until he returned. I replied that I would be happy to but I would need access to the postalmatch email box in order to access the scores. I was told to contact Paco which I tried to do but, since he is off-line, my message went unanswered. I wrote back to the original contact but heard nothing.

So, I suspect that all the scores are in the postalmatch in box, waiting for someone to compile them. I stand willing to do that but am unable to do so until I can get access to the mailbox. I am hesitant to ask everyone to resubmit their scores to me since i would have to use my private email address. It would be acceptable for an administrator to set up forwarding from the postalmatch box to me. Contact me via PM if so.

That’s the scoop as I understand it.

Bucolic wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:51 am That would work but let’s give it a couple days. I have to finish up my semester grades by Friday and get them to the college.
Wow. That's an early end to the semester!

No rush, of course. For PMs there would need to be a delay anyway while people checked in and noticed that they needed to resend their scores, so it's not an instant fix. Getting access to the already-sent emails would obviously be less cumbersome.