Kids and guns: early is best

Ella received her first rifle, a Remington .22, as a Christmas gift when she was 6 years old. Now 13 years old, she has years of shooting experience, and this fall she began precision shooting classes at Yellowstone Rifle Club.

Every Sunday she points an ultra-accurate small bore rifle at a target 50 feet down range. She focuses on her breathing cycles, applies steady pressure on the trigger and the rifle fires. She feels a slight push against her shoulder, hears the snap of the bullet breaking the sound barrier and prepares for the next shot. She aims for the tightest five shot grouping possible. It’s a sport requiring dedication and practice.

http://helenair.com/lifestyles/recreati ... 5e86f.html

Yep: shooting stuff is fun.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Kids and guns: early is best

my parents were both raised in cities, and to them guns represented crime or war. both of them were in the navy during ww2 and were sort of mildly antigun. there was a summer daycamp when i was 10 or 12 where i shot a .22 rifle a couple of times. i was discouraged from having toy guns as a kid, they were not seen as relevant to the parents' expectation of a white-collar lifestyle. it's not that they were pacifists or anything, my dad worked in aerospace and made "rockets and bombs". i think he would have preferred to make rocketships to mars and beyond, but this was the cold war, and the vietnam era. i think we all expected to have colonies on the moon by 2001. i remember about age 25 being out with a friend, his dad pulled out a revolver of some kind. i remember shooting at (and missing) a tin can maybe 5 feet away. it wasn't until about 20 years ago that my interest in history brought me to guns, in the form of a '61 springfield replica and a '60 colt army replica. hanging out with reenactors exposed me to modern guns, and guns from other historical periods. garands, 1911s, and m1917s opened the floodgates. i'm actually a decent shot, pretty much completely self-trained. i read a couple of army manuals. i expect i'd be better if i'd kept shooting after that daycamp. meh. water under the bridge, over the damn dam.
shooting stuff is fun.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Those kids have some nice hardware. That Annie looks mighty fine.

I had friends in college that started small bore target shooting at an early age and continued into adulthood. They were awesome shooters and unflapped by any anti-gun rhetoric. Of course, that was 40+ years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are pretty funny. There’s a breeder around here somewhere. My wife was thinking about one but gave up when we realized that we would need to do a lot of fencing.

Fainting in the face of predation seems hardly a mutation that promotes survival. It’s good that humans love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

a lot of predators are freaked out and flee when their prospective prey suddenly does something unexpected. even when the predator wins, it's not always either/or. the prospective prey can sometimes rip the predator a new orifice making predator easy prey for the next predator up the line. there are other critters that "play dead". hog nose snakes come to mind.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

now that the thread is thoroughly well and jacked, I'll just put this here in the interest of science:
"Myotonia congeneta"
https://youtu.be/uT-UGTQd6zQ

"Typical guy..."
--I resemble that remark.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:now that the thread is thoroughly well and jacked, I'll just put this here in the interest of science:
"Myotonia congeneta"
https://youtu.be/uT-UGTQd6zQ

"Typical guy..."
--I resemble that remark.

Two thoughts on this Bis; 1.) you’re a good sport, thanks. 2.) of course that video is from Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

CDFingers wrote:
Bisbee wrote:now that the thread is thoroughly well and jacked,.
That's one reason I love this place.

CDFingers
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi