Re: Bullseye Deadline Extended

Bacchus wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Ha! That's not so great, I see only six holes in the target, so you must have missed altogether four times! Bwohahahaha!

Oh. Waitaminute. :oops:

That's some damn fine shooting. :) Nice! It's only happened to me a few times that I've sunk all shots in the black at that distance, but it sure feels good. Still, they've been nowhere near that tight. Great shooting. :)
Haha, thanks :beer2:

The spread is all me. That ammo (which is pretty damn affordable) in that gun will hit in the exact same place again and again. It's match precision and consistency at bulk ammo pricing. I think it was $40 for a 500 brick.

Maccabee wrote:Went to the range and spent some time practicing at 15yds. Well, that was humbling! Not my best day shooting so far....
The first few times out are indeed humbling. I can vouch for that. Keep at it. I did a lot better in this second match than I did in the first. It's all about personal improvement for YOU. Don't worry about the other guys, and before you know it you'll BE one of The Other Guys. 8-)

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Maccabee wrote:Went to the range and spent some time practicing at 15yds. Well, that was humbling! Not my best day shooting so far....
The first few times out are indeed humbling. I can vouch for that. Keep at it. I did a lot better in this second match than I did in the first. It's all about personal improvement for YOU. Don't worry about the other guys, and before you know it you'll BE one of The Other Guys. 8-)
Yep, it's all about practice and having fun! :beer2:

TheViking wrote:
HuckleberryFun wrote:
Yep, it's all about practice and having fun! :beer2:
Yup - that's the key. And every now and then, take the target out to 25 yards and REALLY embarrass yourself. That way 15 yards feels easy. :)

And I still don't shoot as well as the Viking - but that gives me excuse to go back and try again.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote:
TheViking wrote:
Dammit, Viking - I walked into my LGS this afternoon and there was a brick of that Aguila sitting on the counter as though it was waiting for me. So I took it home. :)

If the weather cooperates, I'll try it out tomorrow. :)
It is brilliant ammo. I've shot a lot of Eley back in the day. This is just as consistent as anything below Tenex at a much lower price.

I got a box of the Aguila, 500, for $25 from Target Sports. I wonder if it's a different quality? Shot a hundred on Friday
night.

I had a jam where the bullet separated from the rest of the cartridge. I've gotten pretty good a clearing malfunctions,
but this one wasn't budging and the indoor ranges don't like it when you pull out tools so I got an RO to clear it for me.
Slide wouldn't close, and the cartridge was stuck on the feed ramp so I locked it open and couldn't knock it sideways.
Took the RO a good minute and then he showed me the cartridge with the bullet hanging off the front.

Other than that, I had a few failure to feeds, but between the new gun, the magazine it came with and three other new
magazines, I can't be sure what the problem was. But likely not the ammo. So aside from that one weird thing, the
Aguila shot well. For 5 cents a cartridge, I'll get it again.
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety

Maccabee wrote:
Yeah, I got some work to do. :D

I did better in the timed strings than in the untuned. Maybe I was over thinking it?

Definitely looking forward to practicing and the next match.
Doesn't look too bad! Have faith- practice will tighten up those holes. :) Those look to be some sizable holes, too. .45? Whatcha shooting?

Many here have the same experience with tighter groups during the timed fire vs. slow fire. There was a discussion about this a while back - I think it was in this forum, too - and ThirstyHersh (I think) had a good explanation. During slow fire, there is a tendency to hold the posture for a while as you prepare to shoot. As you hold that pose, tension builds around your shoulders, arms, etc., affecting your aim. During timed fire, there's less time for that tension to build. At least I think I got that right.

I have got in the habit of completely relaxing and lowering my arms before the next shot in slow fire. I've focused on my breathing more, too. It's helped me, anyway. :)

But over thinking it... yeah, that happens too. :) I had that experience when I shot this bullseye match. I felt some pressure and tension and it affected my performance. After shooting for score, I shot the timed fire again when the pressure was off; the group was really tight, and it was an easy 12 points better than the target I'll be submitting. :(
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Maccabee wrote:Haha, I actually shot better in my practice rounds just prior to hanging my targets for the match.

Good advice, I'll be a lot more mindful of tensing up and relaxing more.

Oh, and those holes are 9mm courtesy of my Sig 229.
Sig 229- nice. :) I've noticed with myself that there is a sweet spot where focus and relaxation (staying loose) merge. I haven't yet found the recipe for finding that 'flow' on command, though. There have been many times where I am happy with my practice targets and then my score targets are of suck. Boy, is that aggravating. ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Paco wrote:The current Bullseye deadline is this coming Monday.

The number of entries now totals four!

In hopes that this is the result of horrid weather and Trumpian Torpor, I am extending the deadline until 6pm on Monday, May 22nd.

The weather and the low Bullseye turnout are the main reasons we have not yet begun the second Mad Minute. I will post the start of that contest within two weeks -- and we'll see what happens.

Paco
Cutting it close but I am shooting it this weekend. Should have score in by Sunday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard