WINNERS OF BULLSEYE MATCH 9

LGC Bullseye Match 9 Winners

Despite a substantial extension of the deadline, the turnout for this Bullseye round was dismal -- dramatically less than the low-average number of entries recorded in previous matches. (The turnout for the ongoing postal match is currently even more discouraging.)

It is likely that the weather played a major part In depressing participation, but I doubt it was the only factor.

For this round, I am going to forego providing scores and handicaps, and, rather, simply list (in order of finish) all the members who did enter and who deserve recognition and thanks for keeping the program alive.

(The scores are not lost. All have been entered in the Bullseye club database for use in tabulating future handicaps.)

The good news: Several entrants did participate for the first time.

Also worth noting: Second place in the centerfire/iron-sight category was won by CDFingers, who has, with great discipline, continued to improve his score with a single-action revolver shot with a classic one-hand grip. Bravo!

Perhaps a break of some length is in order. With that in mind, the start of the next match will be delayed for at least a week.

Please post comments, opinions, and suggestions addressing this situation.

Rimfire

Iron

Bacchus, Ruger Mk III
STL303, Colt Woodsman Match Target
Buck13, Ruger MkII
MaxWyatt, H&R 999 Sportsman

Glass

STL303, Browning Buck Mark Contour 7.25
Catalyst, S&W 22 Victory

Centerfire

Iron

Bacchus, Glock G17
CDFingers, Ruger Vaquero, .45 LC
Catalyst, Springfield XDm 9mm
STL303, RIA M1911 GI Standard
HuckleberryFun, Bob Chow customized 1911

Black Powder

STL303, Pietta Remington 1858 New Model Army
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

Re: WINNERS OF BULLSEYE MATCH 9

I am so sorry I did not get to this one, Paco. Between the weather and the lead up to my wife's hip replacement, I never found a good day to do it.

Congrats to all who shot it and, to those who don't, please try to participate the next time. It's great fun and builds a strange e-camaraderie among shooters.

Paco wrote:
Despite a substantial extension of the deadline, the turnout for this Bullseye round was dismal -- dramatically less than the low-average number of entries recorded in previous matches. (The turnout for the ongoing postal match is currently even more discouraging.)
Hopefully that will be a one-time dip. Even though Seattle was hit way less badly by winter weather than Portland (or at least that one big snow), I was prevented by weather from going to my preferred range a couple of times when I was otherwise ready to go. The holidays put a big crimp on winter activities, too. And maybe the football playoffs and Stupor Bowl cut into it for some people?

I only had time for one shooting session, so the dot challenge didn't make it onto my schedule. I was also a little unsure that I could see .22 holes well enough to shoot the "rapid" strings in anything like a fast enough pace to warrant the name while calling hits and misses as I went, so I found those rules a little daunting. (My shooting glasses are some very old single-vision lenses that under-correct my nearsightedness enough to make the front sight look good, but the target is a little hazy even when I focus on it.)
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Bucolic wrote:I am so sorry I did not get to this one, Paco. Between the weather and the lead up to my wife's hip replacement, I never found a good day to do it.

Congrats to all who shot it and, to those who don't, please try to participate the next time. It's great fun and builds a strange e-camaraderie among shooters.
I wish I had an excuse as good as Buc's - but I don't. Just never got to it.....

Will get back to the competitions very soon. Spring always seems to do that. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Yeah, the weather may have been part of it, but for me the election had put me in a funk. I'm coming out of it, and hitting the range did wonders for the attitude. :)

Kudos to the new entrants! Keep it up! For the rest of us... E-camaraderie... I like that.

CD: one handed shooting with that Vaquero: Decidedly kick-ass. :)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Buck13 wrote:
Paco wrote:
Hopefully that will be a one-time dip. Even though Seattle was hit way less badly by winter weather than Portland (or at least that one big snow), I was prevented by weather from going to my preferred range a couple of times when I was otherwise ready to go. The holidays put a big crimp on winter activities, too. And maybe the football playoffs and Stupor Bowl cut into it for some people?

I only had time for one shooting session, so the dot challenge didn't make it onto my schedule. I was also a little unsure that I could see .22 holes well enough to shoot the "rapid" strings in anything like a fast enough pace to warrant the name while calling hits and misses as I went, so I found those rules a little daunting. (My shooting glasses are some very old single-vision lenses that under-correct my nearsightedness enough to make the front sight look good, but the target is a little hazy even when I focus on it.)
You're supposed to actually see where the shots land? :hmmm:
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote:
Buck13 wrote:
Paco wrote:

You're supposed to actually see where the shots land? :hmmm:
The confusion may come from the rule that allows you to choose to continue firing at a particular dot until you score it -- and thereby using up some of the total allowed shots in the course of fire.

Doing that sensibly would seem to require knowing if you hit the dot -- something you can do with a scope or a good sense of shot placement. I assume that most shooters will simply opt to fire carefully at each dot.
When you side with a man, you stay with him -- Pike Bishop

I definitely appreciate Paco's attention to these matches. Were it not for the Bullseye matches, I might not shoot in bad weather. I get to go to Down Range Chico indoors to shoot the Vaquero. I am sad to have missed a few postal matches, but now that certain things in my life have run their courses I'll be able to schlep down to the outdoor range next time.

As a gun owner, I think it's important to shoot. I know many gun owners who don't shoot, or shoot once or twice a year. For last year I think I went 15 times. I want to increase that this year.

I loved the match where we had to shoot 100 rounds. I used my PD weapon for that, and I got muscle memory of gnarl. Now I'm learning how to work the Vaquero. Since I'd shot it off a rest, I knew it was me and not the gun. I tried to make the old style grip work, but I could not. So I changed the grip, and this looks promising. Shooting hand guns two handed always seemed a little hinky to me. This feels pretty good.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Congratulations to those who won this match!

I totally botched mine and didn't notice until I was getting ready to turn it in last night. Wrong order of targets - not sure how I did that. :oops:

My DOT challenge is ready to be turned in. I shot that one correctly...

I think the matches are valuable offerings so I hope this is only a temporary slump. They help force me to get out and shoot when I might otherwise allow myself to get tied up doing something worth while. :sarcasm:

I'm not confident enough with Bullseye distance to try it yet, but I read the threads and did the last two Postals. Had a cool conversation with a really good shooter at the range a few weeks ago, as he was leaving and I had been watching his impressive accuracy (15 years of practice) - and he gave me a couple of Bullseye targets on the thick paper. So I have them in my target folio, their call is faint but I hear it when I'm picking through which target to shoot and I get a glance at them in there...

I have a laser and laser target on their way, time to hunker down to some serious dry fire practice.
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety

Im going to start doing this . when? Not yet sure, but .hopefully by spring. Yes, it was 70 again today, but suppose to be 20 and 1-3 inches of snow by Saturday.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

SeaDragonTattoo wrote:I'm not confident enough with Bullseye distance to try it yet, but I read the threads and did the last two Postals. Had a cool conversation with a really good shooter at the range a few weeks ago, as he was leaving and I had been watching his impressive accuracy (15 years of practice) - and he gave me a couple of Bullseye targets on the thick paper. So I have them in my target folio, their call is faint but I hear it when I'm picking through which target to shoot and I get a glance at them in there...

I have a laser and laser target on their way, time to hunker down to some serious dry fire practice.
Oh, c'mon. Try it! We were all newbies once.

I'm getting there! When your comfort zone is 21-30 feet, 50 sure is a looooong way downrange! Next time I'm at the range I'll give it a go with my 8" glow shot targets and see if I can even hit the paper...

Still getting used to the Tanfoglio, too, I'm also not confident with that enough to shoot a match with (maybe 300 rounds through it so far?), I'll likely use my carry gun for the Off Duty match on the 16th.
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety

SeaDragonTattoo wrote:I'm getting there! When your comfort zone is 21-30 feet, 50 sure is a looooong way downrange! Next time I'm at the range I'll give it a go with my 8" glow shot targets and see if I can even hit the paper...

Still getting used to the Tanfoglio, too, I'm also not confident with that enough to shoot a match with (maybe 300 rounds through it so far?), I'll likely use my carry gun for the Off Duty match on the 16th.
I only scored 223 :oops: in this round and had rarely shot at a target past the 30' mark before I started practicing for this round. Just jump in and join the fray! I'm trying to find time to shoot for the Postal Match as well.

Paco wrote:I assume that most shooters will simply opt to fire carefully at each dot.
Looks like I may have a chance to visit the indoor range Saturday evening after all, so I may try that.

Firing pin on my Redhawk is still gummed up and I'm pissed off at myself for how I shot my Tanfo in Bullseye, so it may be time to try the GP100 in a match!
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Wow what a difference one week makes! :lol:

We have not had a nice weekend for over a month (wind, rain, snow, etc.). This weekend it is sunny and in the 70's all of a sudden! And it is Spring Break! I might actually be able to shoot again! :yahoo:
Frogger

Member of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Liberal Gun Club
---