Re: Reasonable shooting goals?

Hit the paper and work you way to the center. After you are able to fill the center frequently, you'll probably want to move to more challenging, longer distances.

But in my opinion , the most important thing is to be safe and have fun

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

It depends on what you're trying to do. Bullseye or action shooting? They're two different sports.

In general, for pistol, I would look up dot drill or dot torture and start with that. This will set you for establishing trigger control and seeing your sights. Add a par time to each dot to increase the challenge.

For rifle, I set up 9 5" paper plates at 50 yards and alternate between shooting standing, kneeling and prone with and without a barricade. Two shots per plate, 3 plates per position. As you get more proficient add a par time.

Yeah, steady improvement. Distance doesn't matter, so much as skills building. Distance will come with improvement and time. Have fun and be safe; do those two things and it will feed a virtuous cycle. If you're having fun, you'll want to go back to the range. Going to the range builds skills, and the target gets hit. Hitting the target is fun, and the cycle continues. :)

Don't get discouraged if you have off days. It happens. Take the long view of steady improvement, and assume you'll have blips and hiccups along the way.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Dont forget this is a great time work on what grip, pull style, positions, etc .. Work best for you personally. Experiment and find your groove.

This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:Hit the paper and work you way to the center. After you are able to fill the center frequently, you'll probably want to move to more challenging, longer distances.

But in my opinion , the most important thing is to be safe and have fun

Spot on !!! :drunklep:
Merle from PA

Yup...it depends on yer goals and why you are shooting. Sport and recreation or target shooting have completely different goals/skill/mind sets than if yer gonna really crank up the high speed draw from concealment and hit multiple targets at ranges from 6' - 30'. I expect groups where all 6 rounds touch each other from a 6" revolver at 30' at my skill and experience level if I'm "target shooting" and closely controlling everything slow fire.

6 rounds from a 9mm subcompact shot at 12' "Combat" style I call 4" groups good enough. I'd have to side with the guys who say that seeing improvement and having fun/maintaining interest and being safe are the most important. At any rate the thing that improves my skills the most is dry firing.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.