LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH #22 IS OPEN

Hi all,

As you know, Bucolic has stepped down from running the Bullseye matches, and I've offered to keep them going. I'm a pretty new member here, and am actually quite new to shooting, but I wanted to help keep this going. I solicited recommendations from the forum for any changes, and we'll run these just as before, but with the following changes.
  • Just two categories--rimfire and centerfire. We used to have separate divisions within these for glass and open sights, but participation has been low and it doesn't look like a big difference in scores between glass and open, so we'll just simplify things.
    Shoot glass or open (or both), whatever you like, we'll just score them together, still separating rimfire and centerfire.
  • Another recommendation was to allow more than one course of fire. In the past, shooters had to pre-designate 3 targets as their entries then send them in with no do-overs. We'll change that. Pre-designate 3 courses of fire (each including 3 targets -- slow, timed, rapid). Then send the best set in. The match will run about 3 months, so this is about 1 per month, but you can shoot them whenever. Hopefully, this will get people out shooting more and maybe encourage more entries. Of course, if you don't have time, just shoot 1 or 2 and send the best.
So, here are the updated rules for this match.
LGC Bullseye Club Rules July 26 2020.pdf
(310.29 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

Last day of the match is October 31, 2020.

I'd love to see some new folks participate. Have fun everybody!

Best, cooper.

Re: LGC BULLSEYE CLUB MATCH #22 IS OPEN

Merle wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:23 pm thank you! :beer2:

PS: are we using the same form to report on?
Yup. There's a copy of it in the new rules I posted. I just doesn't specify open or glass anymore since we're lumping them together. Rules haven't changed except for what's mentioned above and I've underlined it in the rules document.

Hope everyone has fun.

And hey, new members, I just joined this club in May, so I'm one of you. I'm encouraging you to enter the match. It's very informal. Should be a fun way to shoot. There's no prizes. And hey, if you're new to shooting and your targets look as terrible as mine then make it a learning tool/game for yourself. Shoot one course each month for the next 3 months and see how you improve. Even if your final one isn't top flight you could still post all 3 to show your improvement--this seems like a supportive place.

:thumbup: Thanks, Cooper!

I tried my hand informally at the last run - that is, following the rules, but after the competition closed - and I think it's fair to say that I did abysmally. But that was the point - I'd never even tried before. Very glad to see you picking this up, and looking forward to being the worst of the next bunch. :D

Definitely interested in the next even-handed match, too. If only because my weak hand isn't that much worse than the strong.

cooper wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:55 pm
Merle wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:23 pm thank you! :beer2:

PS: are we using the same form to report on?
Yup. There's a copy of it in the new rules I posted. I just doesn't specify open or glass anymore since we're lumping them together. Rules haven't changed except for what's mentioned above and I've underlined it in the rules document.

Hope everyone has fun.

And hey, new members, I just joined this club in May, so I'm one of you. I'm encouraging you to enter the match. It's very informal. Should be a fun way to shoot. There's no prizes. And hey, if you're new to shooting and your targets look as terrible as mine then make it a learning tool/game for yourself. Shoot one course each month for the next 3 months and see how you improve. Even if your final one isn't top flight you could still post all 3 to show your improvement--this seems like a supportive place.

ooppss - missed it - I quit scrolling too soon..... :oops:
Merle from PA

Did a set today. I'm definitely no competition shooter. I train for defensive pistol almost exclusively, so I did Minute of Bad Guy as usual... Also, how do people take 2-6 seconds on a shot?!? I don't think I did a round that took longer than 15 seconds.

If anyone has any recommendations for altering my stance (think low ready) that will help me stabilize my shots, I'd love to hear some advice.

Dunno. Similar training, but working on accuracy here. I did a round - call it Match 21.5 - between the last match closing and this match starting, just to see how my scores would fall out. :rofl: Now, I was shooting one-handed bullseye style. Probably didn't help. But you know what? Slowest to fastest, I scored within 4 points total. Whatever my issues are - er, all of 'em - they are not issues that taking my time currently fix.

My current area of focus is trigger discipline. It seems to vary the most between range trips. Some days I'm good, others not so much. There's a world between "my sights are on target, squeeze off the shot now!" and taking the time to try to hold on target while slooooooowly applying pressure.

Not an expert in any way either, but I love bullseye shooting (the Zen-like relaxation) and have made some good progress recently. I tend to shoot one-handed nowadays, because it's more authentic and the only way to go if I ever want to compete in local matches. It's fun too.

IMHO, the most important areas are:
  1. Sight picture (trivial of course, but critical, obviously)
  2. Grip
  3. Trigger control
  4. Breathing
  5. Stance
Up to recently I would have put trigger control before grip, but realized that there is no way to properly squeeze the trigger without a proper grip first. Another advice that really helped me was shooting sub-6 with iron sights. That's because their contour tends to fade against the dark bullseye, and there is no way to really see the alignment and the gaps around the front sight. It really helped me to move the point of aim at an area about the size of the bullseye, just below it.

Hey all. Just encouraging people to send in their scores. Just under 2 months left to send them in. Remember, to encourage more shooting there is a small change to the process (see above) over prior matches.

Not a lot of entries so far. New members encouraged. Old members encouraged.

I'm feeling the insanity of the world right now, so this might seem like a trivial diversion now. Agreed, but if you are in a position to participate, please jump in and give yourself a few moments of peaceful sanity. I know many are not in a position to even consider such things right now (especially in the fire zones).

Best,
cooper.