Simple wood target under $20

1 - sheet 7/16" 4'X8' OSB
3 - 8' long 2x4s
nails
1 can black spray paint
2 sheets cardstock
post hole digger
shovel

I cut sheet the sheet of chipboard in half. You could use the other half to make a second target, or save it for when your target wears out.
I left the main 2x4 posts a full 8' and nailed the OSB to it before erecting it. I dug the holes roughly 3' deep, put the target up, filled in the holes, and packed in the dirt with my feet. I didn't want concrete or anything, as it will be much easier to dig out the same hole when it wears out, and it really doesn't need to be THAT stable. I added a little shelf for plinking cans. It's 6' long, so one foot hangs over the edge of the uprights on either end. The brackets are just 4" chunks of the 2x4. The top edge of the shelf is 8.5" down from the edge of the OSB. I made all my cuts at home, and used nails so I could put it all together on-site (I don't have a cordless drill).

I thought it might be a nice way to show the local conservatives that there are liberals who shoot to put a "Courtesy of The Liberal Gun Club" on the back. The stencil was just printed on cardstock and cut out using an Exacto knife. The logo is simply the LGC logo, with some bits altered to make it a stencil. The font I used was Major Snafu (sized to 105 in Word).
https://www.1001freefonts.com/major-snafu.font
Feel free to replicate it and do something similar. It might be a positive way to get the word out about the Liberal Gun Club.

Then, since they didn't have any markers, I made simple distance markers (I haven't finished going out to the rifle distances yet).

You can find the picture I used to create my target stencil here:
https://www.shareicon.net/shooting-targ ... get-703347

Re: Simple wood target under $20

I made a 2' x 2' plywood target box, (1/2" plywood) it's about 6 or 8" deep and I put 7 sheets of scrap drywall inside. With .22 and .410 it catches everything, none get more than about 5 sheets deep, so I'm not dumping lead in the soil. When it gets too torn up it's easy to take apart (screws from the side, so they don't get too torn up by shots) and replace the drywall and front panel.

All scrap materials, so cost was zero (not counting the screws).