Shipping a Handgun

I have a couple questions, but first, the background:

On Saturday, I attempted to change the trigger blade on my polished stainless CZ 75B. I say attempted because, after numerous unsuccessful tries, I lost two trigger return springs and a tiny slave pin. Suitably humbled, I decided it was time to send the pistol to Cajun Gun Works for their Pro Package. This will not only include the installation of the trigger blade but also their reach reduction package and short reset package along with a new hammer, polishing etc.

CGW has a short waiting list right now and will contact me when I can send the pistol to them. I have never shipped a handgun and have a couple questions:

First, I understand that I can ship The gun via federal express. Is this correct? Are there any difficulties to be expected? I know that I can’t include any ammo. I will not include any magazines. I’m sure they have them.

Second, when they return the gun, can CGW ship it to me or do they need to ship it to my FFL?

Any other tips regarding shipping a handgun would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Bucolic on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Shipping a Handgun

Bucolic wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:19 am Thanks, guys! That’s good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have friend and club member here in Houston shipped to CGW for just that kind of job. Turned out very well. Sorry to hear your gunsmithing didn’t work out. You’ll be pleased with the job, I’m sure.
Last edited by sikacz on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I had a similar experience when I shipped my P320 to Sig-Sauer for their recall, (oops!) "voluntary trigger upgrade". Sig sent me the shipping and labeling information. (Of course, they are an FFL)
As I remember, all I had to do was box it up without ammo, mags or anything else, attach the shipping label, and take it to the local FedEx depot (not a store front) and inform them that it was a firearm. There was no problem.

When the firearm was returned to me, it was delivered directly to my front door. And I live in New Jersey, one of the most restrictive states, and it was still that easy!

I hope this helps.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I've shipped to Ruger and CZ for repairs and no problems. I drive to the FedEx distribution center by the airport, return I have to make sure I'm in town because they deliver to my home and I have to sign for it. Last one I shipped, the FedEx clerk became nervous when I told him what was in the box, but assured him it was unloaded and was safe to ship.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I've returned several guns for warranty or repair. I did ship via FedEx ground on two to save money and took the risk. Since I now let my FFL ship cause it's cheaper for him to ship air than me plus if it gets lost I can get money back. Which was not the case when I shipped FedEx ground. And, as others posted, since it's your gun, can be shipped directly to you from repair shop, no FFL required.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

featureless wrote:Shipping aside, congrats on going for the CGW makeover! I'll be very interested in hearing the result.
I had previously installed their ultralight kit without incident. This is a lower power hammer spring, an extended firing pin & spring and a few other little things. It really smoothed the pistol out and reduced trigger pull considerably. What I’m really looking for is the reach reduction kit because my fingers are relatively small so there should be a real improvement. I will certainly report!

If you are friendly with an FFL you might be able to ask them to ship it To CGW for you.
The reason being that the federal rules that govern shipping firearms are different between FFL's.

In my capacity at the range I once used BS2 (before sars 2) I'd been present when USPS delivered a handgun and when UPS delivered a handgun.

FedEx charges for shipping a civilian's firearm are rather high; it cost me $100 to send a SIG to Barstow many years back through FedEx. It cost me $35 for the return shipping (to my door) through UPS.

Of course we'll not talk about the ignorant person who was not aware of all these rules so many years ago, when he mailed a handgun to an FFL using a USPS Priority Mail box. Though I did read that doing so wasn't necessarily a violation...

Fortunately for him, I mean her, the statute of limitations on this not on purpose and completely accidental transgression lapsed a decade ago....I know her, she didn't mean it. I swear.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Bucolic wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:41 am
featureless wrote:Shipping aside, congrats on going for the CGW makeover! I'll be very interested in hearing the result.
I had previously installed their ultralight kit without incident. This is a lower power hammer spring, an extended firing pin & spring and a few other little things. It really smoothed the pistol out and reduced trigger pull considerably. What I’m really looking for is the reach reduction kit because my fingers are relatively small so there should be a real improvement. I will certainly report!
You sir, have inspired me to get on the CGW list. My PCR will go in next week for the pro package as well as milling for a red dot. Fucking enablers!