EDC storing with chambered round

I've only been carrying regularly for a couple years, and I've occasionally noted the problem of the round OAL shortening from repeated chambering over months. I store in a safe at night. When I notice it I shoot the round out on range day, but it got me to thinking. I often use a pocket holster so I could just store the holstered pistol directly from safe to pocket to safe, but I eject and clear and then reload the next day. What is the function of this procedure?

I'm not trying to tilt at any safety windmills here, but can we walk through the rubric of only storing firearms unchambered? It seems to me that the twice-daily manipulations to load and unload would theoretically afford more opportunities for an ND than placing a holstered firearm in and out of the safe, and that the potential for overpressure from that round might be worth considering in the safety soup too.

Is it a psychological thing so we've checked and chambered every. single. day? Would a press check meet that need?
Groovin' and jivin' and diggin' the skin I'm in

Lyons, CO

Re: EDC storing with chambered round

I store my pistols chambered AND holstered. One of the reasons behind keeping pistols unchambered in the safe is to prevent your finger from accidentally pulling the trigger while you rummage around in the dark. If the pistols are holstered, there’s no way for you to accidentally finger it.

For shotgun and rifles without any trigger cover, unchambering is always the correct procedure, because they should NEVER be stored with a round in the chamber. Many (most?) long guns are not drop-safe, unlike most modern pistols that you can toss from the top of a building without firing.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

If one is cognizant of safe handling, one will always treat every firearm as though its loaded, chambered, cocked, and safety (if it has one) disengaged anyway. So...?

As for storing a firearm holstered? Depends on what the holster is made of. A leather holster will absorb moisture from one's body (even though clothing) and the environment. Over time, that might not be really great for the firearm.

ETA:
As for firing a round that has noticeable set back...? Perhaps not a wise practice. There are pressure considerations relating to volume and gas expansion that are altered as the bullet is pressed further into the case.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Here in CA the gun laws are pretty convoluted but as far as I can tell, we are not allowed to store ammunition in the same container as a firearm, meaning that storing a loaded gun is certainly not legal. Obviously this completely defeats the purpose of having a firearm for self defense, since grabbing my 1911 out of one safe and then unlocking the ammo cabinet to grab a mag is... not going to work by any stretch of the imagination.
I do abide by the law though, especially since I have kids (though both are well-trained in hunter / firearm safety.) If someone comes gets into the house they will meet a really pissed off cattle dog, a 600 lumen flashlight and my WW1 German Bayonet. Plus I think my wife has some bear spray on the other side of the bed.
I really do wish that our legislators could think a little more clearly about these things.
Crow.
Minute Of Average

featureless wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:19 pm In your home, you may store guns loaded in CA. Secured from tiny hands, of course.
Correct. It is illegal to store guns loaded where children or prohibited people could get access to them, but it is not illegal to store them loaded otherwise.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/r ... fornia.htm

Now there are "rules" which is simply recommendations from the state around storage, and they recommend keeping them seperate, which is pointless.

RE the OP- I'm not sure why, unless you don't have your gun in the safe with intent to use it for home defense as well, why you would unload it each day? It's your house, your rules, personally though, I don't follow the why behind the what on that one.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

featureless wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:39 am
Stiff wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:45 am I just thought of another method: trigger lock. No need to empty the chamber if the trigger is immobilized.
Doesn't that require putting something through the trigger guard? Never used one.
My P365 came with one. The lock body goes through the trigger guard, but there’s a couple of ledges that keep its position fixed. Once locked it doesn’t move much, so it can’t engage the trigger.

Of course there are many different models, you might need to experiment. The one I got obviously fits the pistol perfectly.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:54 am
Stiff wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:45 am I just thought of another method: trigger lock. No need to empty the chamber if the trigger is immobilized.
Doesn't that require putting something through the trigger guard? Never used one.
My P365 came with one. The lock body goes through the trigger guard, but there’s a couple of ledges that keep its position fixed. Once locked it doesn’t move much, so it can’t engage the trigger.

Of course there are many different models, you might need to experiment. The one I got obviously fits the pistol perfectly.
I question the safety of putting anything through the trigger guard of a chambered gun.

Have three loaded guns, two condition 1 chambered round - both EDC's have safeties. My bed side has no safety and no chambered round and 8-10 lb. trigger (SD40VE). No kids and no visitors allowed due to CV-19. At home EDC's in Remora sticky holsters, one in safe, other in wallet tray along with all my pants/shirt pocket crap; leather OWB when carried out and about, concealed.

I used to unload (years ago) and rechamber next day. Made a bullet trap to use when chambering in lieu of master bed, just in case. Did become concerned with bullet set back so quit the daily reload since I live alone. My EDC and bed side get fired at range to be sure all well, so any possible set back are used. On two occasions in past years, EDC failed to fire chambered round on range, but when cleared, worked well for balance of use. Did scare the hell out of me and thankful I hadn't needed to use. It's approaching a 1.5 year since last range trip and no land to shoot on. Having severe withdrawal.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I use a sharpie to mark each time the top round gets chambered. After 3, it goes in the shoot pile for range trips. After a while I have a mag of defensive ammo to shoot at the end of my session, as most of my shooting is with FMJ, but I carry +P JHP. It's good to shoot a bit of the hot stuff once in a while to make sure you stay accustomed to the little bit of added recoil.

The safety issue Stiff addressed nicely, Rolandson raised the possibility of salt affecting the finish of a gun in a leather holster. But storing the pistol in the safe while holstered to cover the trigger is not a bad idea.

Otherwise, have you considered just dropping a round into the chamber from the open slide, dropping the slide, then inserting the magazine? That avoids having a carried round repeatedly hitting that ramp each day when you rack the slide. How easy this is depends on your pistol of course.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Stiff wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:54 am
But before it's locked all bets are off. Fumbling inside the trigger guard on a firearm that has a round in the chamber introduces unnecessary risk. At that point it would be better either to leave it alone in a holster or use the home clearing barrel.
Catch22Kid wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:33 pmI use a sharpie to mark each time the top round gets chambered. After 3, it goes in the shoot pile for range trips.
Adequate system.