Building an AR pistol from a receiver

I'm new to building ARs and I've had a question about building an AR pistol knocking around my head for a while.

Its my understanding that AR pistols are legal (at the federal level) so long as they conform to the guidelines laid out in the NFA (overall length < 26", barrel length < 16", no vertical grip, no stock, etc). It is also my understanding that if you were to convert an AR pistol to an AR rifle, that's a one way trip: it then becomes illegal to put a barrel < 16" on that weapon without a tax stamp.

So my question is: Can I legally build an AR pistol from any stripped lower I purchase or is there some process to go through to define the lower as a pistol to ensure compliance? In other words, I've never seen a receiver qualified as either a rifle or pistol receiver, so does it matter how it starts it's life before an upper is put on it?

Bonus question for NC laws: NC requires either a CCL or sheriff-approved handgun purchase permit to buy handguns. If I purchase a stripped AR lower with the intent to build an AR pistol in NC, do I need to provide my FFL with a pistol handgun permit if I don't have a CCL?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

PS I'm not looking for "legal advice" and not expecting it. This is a hypothetical question, and I won't be acting on responses, at least not without consulting other sources. I'm just curious what the current understanding of these laws in the described circumstances.

PPS Also aware the of the ATF's mercurial nature and the understanding could change literally overnight based on their opinion.

Re: Building an AR pistol from a receiver

Yes, like Stiff pointed out, as long as the receiver was not filed as "rifle", you are g2g.
Anytime I had purchased stripped lowers, the FFL would label them as "Other". This is on the paperwork, not on the receiver itself.
When AR pistols first began getting popular, people often would modify their buffertubes in such a way that it woukd become impossible to host a stock. Pistol Buffer tubes, fully rounded similar to A2 tubes, also were often used. This was more of a preventative measure than one made from requirement.
And, as you had stated, as long as you do not install a stock or a vertical grip (TECHNICALLY, if the OAL [Over All Legnth] is over 26'' you can, as it would be considered a "firearm", but that is an entirely different subject) you have yourself a legal Pistol.
There is one small area of concern, concealability. Granted, a majority of AR pistols will not fall into this problem. I have a 10.5" 5.56, and there is no way I could conceal that puppy on my body. But, for the sake of example, let's take a 5" 9mm AR pistol with a shortened Buffertube and an adjustable brace, with an OAL 13.5". Let's say you have a permit to carry a concealed handgun in your state, and you conceal this under a light vest. It is POSSIBLE, this can be considered a "Any Other Weapon" due to it's concealability.
It's confusing, and I apologize of I made things more fuzzy than solid. In short, you are good to go, ensure lower is not a rifle, and understand laws concerning these types of firearms are muddy.
Concerming your question about NC laws. As a disclaimer, I am not and have not been a NC resident. The lower, by itself, is not a pistol. It is either a rifle or "Other". That said, I would be prepared to brandish your permit, but if your FFL does not ask, I would say that's your answer.

Re: Building an AR pistol from a receiver

OK. I'm going to throw a question out here in the opposite direction:
When the LGC receivers show up next month, I was planning to store it, and MAYBE considering building it out as a rifle--pretty sure AR pistols are illegal in NJ anyway. Is there an issue filing it as a rifle, when that's my intention?
I would prefer to find an unthreaded barrel rather than a welded-on muzzle break, and ensure it's NJ compliant.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."