Any plumbers in the house?

Didn't know where else to put this. Need help with an old Moen shower faucet that's leaking, assuming I need to replace the cartridge and can figure out how but I'm not sure which to buy and Moen's website sucks. Any ideas without first taking it completely apart? It's one where it pulls out to turn on than turns left or right for hot or cold, by the looks of it probably made sometime in the 80s.

Re: Any plumbers in the house?

senorgrand wrote:You probably need to pull it and take it to the hardware store. That means you'll probably have to shut off water to your entire house first. be sure to drain any water after shuttoff and before removal of the cartridge.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :(
No worries dude. Yeah that much I know, I'm a pretty handy dude when I need to be and have replaced other faucet cartridges in the past, just hoping somebody in here might be able to recognize it and give me a part# so I can order it online, would hate to mess up the old one taking it out then have to rush to the hardware store while the water stays shut off. Appreciate it though ;)

I actually had to replace 2 very similar Moens at our Abaco house. There's actually a couple of videos...it's not Moen's site, but one of those appliance repair sites...I don't remember who I got mine from but there's a bunch of places out there.

Here's a video that looks a lot like yours:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:I actually had to replace 2 very similar Moens at our Abaco house. There's actually a couple of videos...it's not Moen's site, but one of those appliance repair sites...I don't remember who I got mine from but there's a bunch of places out there.

That was actually quite helpful, it pointed me in the right direction and I was able to figure out it was one of two possible parts. They're both only like $14 each online so I ordered both and I'll eventually return the one that it isn't. Thanks man!

rockhound wrote:Hey Kronk,

If it's shower-only, I'm very interested in the specs on the part that you end up using. I have a Moen in my shower (bathroom was built in 1985) that looks virtually identical to yours and I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I need to replace it.

Thanks
I will definitely update when parts come in and I get to fixin', hopefully I can save you a little (or big) headache :)

kronkmusic wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:00 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote:I actually had to replace 2 very similar Moens at our Abaco house. There's actually a couple of videos...it's not Moen's site, but one of those appliance repair sites...I don't remember who I got mine from but there's a bunch of places out there.

That was actually quite helpful, it pointed me in the right direction and I was able to figure out it was one of two possible parts. They're both only like $14 each online so I ordered both and I'll eventually return the one that it isn't. Thanks man!
My pleasure, Kronk! There's YouTube videos on how to fix practically anything!
YT
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

If it's shower-only, I'm very interested in the specs on the part that you end up using. I have a Moen in my shower (bathroom was built in 1985) that looks virtually identical to yours and I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I need to replace it.

Thanks
rockhound,

So I fixed mine today and it turns out for single-handle Moens where its pull out to turn on then one way for hot and the other for cold, you can use either the brass cartridge #1200 or the plastic cartridge #1225. I went with the brass one simply because it's an outdoor shower but functionally they're the same, so whichever you prefer. That also holds true for Moen single-handle bathroom and kitchen sink faucets that operate the same way. The only other things you should need are a monkey wrench, needle nose plyers, and some plumbers grease.

And, as the grizzled car mechanic would say, "well there's your problem right there." Busted seal. The brass fitting is sealed with standard o-rings that are easy to replace should they fail, so you might not need to get a whole new cartridge if the problem is leaking.

kronkmusic wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks
rockhound,

So I fixed mine today and it turns out for single-handle Moens where its pull out to turn on then one way for hot and the other for cold, you can use either the brass cartridge #1200 or the plastic cartridge #1225. I went with the brass one simply because it's an outdoor shower but functionally they're the same, so whichever you prefer. That also holds true for Moen single-handle bathroom and kitchen sink faucets that operate the same way. The only other things you should need are a monkey wrench, needle nose plyers, and some plumbers grease.

And, as the grizzled car mechanic would say, "well there's your problem right there." Busted seal. The brass fitting is sealed with standard o-rings that are easy to replace should they fail, so you might not need to get a whole new cartridge if the problem is leaking.
Awesome, thanks much for the info!

I've used Moen almost exclusively. On small drips, I contact Moen and get free cartridges. They warrant for life time on any thing made after 1995. They have given me a half dozen or so cartridges over the years and a couple of kitchen hose/spray heads for side sprayer, all no charge. The removal tool is good to have and reading removal/install instructions is critical - don't ask me how I know! LOL Currently have one brass and one plastic cartridge spares. Be sure to also clean out the cartridge insert recess before insertion of new cartridge.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote:I've used Moen almost exclusively. On small drips, I contact Moen and get free cartridges. They warrant for life time on any thing made after 1995. They have given me a half dozen or so cartridges over the years and a couple of kitchen hose/spray heads for side sprayer, all no charge. The removal tool is good to have and reading removal/install instructions is critical - don't ask me how I know! LOL Currently have one brass and one plastic cartridge spares. Be sure to also clean out the cartridge insert recess before insertion of new cartridge.
Where were you a week ago? Haha

kronkmusic wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:39 pm
Wino wrote:I've used Moen almost exclusively. On small drips, I contact Moen and get free cartridges. They warrant for life time on any thing made after 1995. They have given me a half dozen or so cartridges over the years and a couple of kitchen hose/spray heads for side sprayer, all no charge. The removal tool is good to have and reading removal/install instructions is critical - don't ask me how I know! LOL Currently have one brass and one plastic cartridge spares. Be sure to also clean out the cartridge insert recess before insertion of new cartridge.
Where were you a week ago? Haha
Hey! I was here!
Harbor Freight (almost spelled it "Harbour", like "Marsh Harbour") has boxes of assorted O-rings. So I didn't have to go anywhere, I was able to use one to fix a Hayward PVC ball valve on my pool. For what 2 would cost at a pool store I got a whole set!

I had the same issue a few months ago. Ended up using a 1225. I have the puller if anyone needs one. I was fortunate enough to talk to somebody at Home Depot who actually knew a lot about it (rare). One thing he mentioned was the importance of using lubrication. Lube the new valve before you put it in. I had gotten so used to the handle on the old valve being so hard to turn before it finally failed. I put the new lubed one in and I could literally turn it with one finger.