Reloading padawan seeks jedi

Hello folks,

I'm just starting to reload and have almost everything I need....except someone who knows thier shit who can answer my endless stream of questions.

If you like to teach, don't mind an endless stream of inquiries intersperse with leftwing rants, feel free to respond or PM.

I'm in the Bay Aera, but someone I can ask questions on here or chat or email is good too.

Alternatively additionally, please share any advice you have here, much appreciated.

Thanks comrades.

M
Debs
Debs
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx

Re: Reloading padawan seeks jedi

Whatever you do, don't listen to Marlene. She's a Sith!

:whistle:

Just kidding! She gave me some great advice when I first started reloading. I, um, didn't listen and learned a lesson - a useful lesson, to be fair, and I didn't waste enough money to be upset. In short, if she tells you to "avoid X" then just avoid it. You'll save yourself some frustration.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

offensivename wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 pm There's quite a few of us on here who reload. If you ask a question in the reloading forum you'll probably get answers pretty quickly, some of them even correct.
I didn't realize there was one. That's great. Thanks.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx

I started with straight-walled pistol cases, the big one, .45-70. Yep, 'twas my first reload. Then .45LC and .38 and .357 mag. Then went to rifle. Straight walls are easy, and you can get dies that don't need lube.

Don't know whether that's helpful, except to note I've survived so far.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

What kind of gear are you using? When I first started there was no internet. I just bought the bare minimum of equipment and a lyman manual, followed the directions that came with the dies for setup and a lb of Unique and 230gr ball bullets started in. Wish there had been someone to mentor me.

For 9mak all I know (which is very little) is buy new brass. 9mak is .363, stuffing those bullets into trimmed 9mm Luger can be done but is pretty much advanced reloading.

eelj wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:22 pm What kind of gear are you using? When I first started there was no internet. I just bought the bare minimum of equipment and a lyman manual, followed the directions that came with the dies for setup and a lb of Unique and 230gr ball bullets started in. Wish there had been someone to mentor me.

For 9mak all I know (which is very little) is buy new brass. 9mak is .363, stuffing those bullets into trimmed 9mm Luger can be done but is pretty much advanced reloading.
I have the lee SStage reloading kit, but supplemented with a digital scale and some other upgrades.

Sticking to 9x18 brass, I'll try to trim 9x19 down if I really increase my shooting volume, but no need now. Maybe I'll try for fun, too, down the road.

I just got a few older copies of manuals, Lee 2nd, and newer Lyman.

Definitely am using the net as much as possible to learn, but also seeking reloading groups to find someone who can guide me through the first few sets of rounds to help me get my bearings.