Re: So, some bees moved in...

I bought a stethoscope. $25. Gets here Tuesday. At night I can hear them buzzing away keeping themselves warm, and when the weather is warm they're pretty casual in there. They're interesting little creatures, the more I look at them.

Now is the time to remind us of Eli Israel's First Law of Affliction: "The more you get into it, the more there is to get into."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: So, some bees moved in. (update1)

Here it is about mid March. I was in the throne room this morning, throning and so on, and through the walls came the most horrendous racket! Buzzing to beat the band. Now, since about last Thursday I'd thought they'd been more active than normal. I'd reasoned that flowers were now coming out and so on. I has been about ten months they've been in the wall next to our bathroom, and this is the noisiest they've ever been. I read where Spring is the time they make a new queen and split the hive, leaving the old queen in the original and the rest going with the new one. I think they are making many new bees for this endeavor.

Will keep watching to see what happens.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:30 am Here it is about mid March. I was in the throne room this morning, throning and so on, and through the walls came the most horrendous racket! Buzzing to beat the band. Now, since about last Thursday I'd thought they'd been more active than normal. I'd reasoned that flowers were now coming out and so on. I has been about ten months they've been in the wall next to our bathroom, and this is the noisiest they've ever been. I read where Spring is the time they make a new queen and split the hive, leaving the old queen in the original and the rest going with the new one. I think they are making many new bees for this endeavor.

CDFingers
Since honeybees are precious, you should find a bee-keeper to come fetch them out of your wall and then clean it out...honey will attract less desirable pests. Then the bees can be productive helping crops grow.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:48 am
CDFingers wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:30 am Here it is about mid March. I was in the throne room this morning, throning and so on, and through the walls came the most horrendous racket! Buzzing to beat the band. Now, since about last Thursday I'd thought they'd been more active than normal. I'd reasoned that flowers were now coming out and so on. I has been about ten months they've been in the wall next to our bathroom, and this is the noisiest they've ever been. I read where Spring is the time they make a new queen and split the hive, leaving the old queen in the original and the rest going with the new one. I think they are making many new bees for this endeavor.

CDFingers
Since honeybees are precious, you should find a bee-keeper to come fetch them out of your wall and then clean it out...honey will attract less desirable pests. Then the bees can be productive helping crops grow.
I don't think I want to get rid of them. As long as bees live in there, they will repair the combs so no honey leaks, and they will keep it all clean and defend it, like they have this past year. If the old queen dies and no new one stays behind, then I'm in trouble. I'll have to open my wall to get it clean. Not good. I hope they stay. Here's to continued bee business! That's what we call it, bee business. When the weather is warm, hella bee business. Cold, they stay inside, as their one rear wall they share with our nice warm house.

CDFingers

Neat-O. We have had bees move in to our attic through a hole in the soffit vent by our bedroom window. A type of bumblebee. They've been with us for years now, coming back when the weather warms. We can hear them taking off and coming back in for a landing, like a buzzy little airstrip. Charming. I agree they are neat critters.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six