O/U Weatherby Seized Up

Help your fellow firearm owner out and tell them how you did it.

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

johnwinkler
Helpful Contributor

O/U Weatherby Seized Up

#1 Post by johnwinkler » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:20 am

Hello,
Relatively new to anything behind routine gun maintenance so this might be a very obvious question. I was at the clay range Saturday and after a few rounds my Weatherby would not crack open. I could eventually force it open with a good amount of effort. I fired a few more rounds and nothing changed. Only tough force would get it to open so I set it aside for the day. At home, after cleaning barrels I intentionally cleaned more around the 'break' hoping to loosen it up. A little bit of a difference, but not much.

Anyone have experience with this? Is this something I can work on or you think best to bring it to someone. I don't want to be a pennywise pound foolish.

Thanks in advance

SamDaniels
Helpful Contributor

Re: O/U Weatherby Seized Up

#2 Post by SamDaniels » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:31 am

Not familiar with Weatherbys but it sounds like something is binding. Forcing it open will probably do more damage. You might want to contact their customer support. If you don't have the manual you can find them on the internet.

As an edited side note: If it's anything like my old single barrel or double barrel break action shotguns I've had in the past; you should be able to pop the fore stock off and when you open the shotgun you should be able to lift and remove the barrels from the pivot point. If you can check for gouges, flat spots, burrs or unnatural wear of any kind.

onebohemian
Been around awhile

#3 Post by onebohemian » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 pm

Does it not open with empty hulls in it, or even now after you cleaned it, with no rounds at all in it? Any chance you ran a round through it that was over charged, causing an unusual amount of back pressure that bent something?
Mark

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#4 Post by sikacz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:47 pm

Have checked out. Something is bent or off somehow.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

johnwinkler
Helpful Contributor

#5 Post by johnwinkler » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. I just made an appointment with a local gunsmith to check it out.

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by sikacz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 am

johnwinkler wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 pm Thanks everyone for your responses. I just made an appointment with a local gunsmith to check it out.
Let us know what he/she finds.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.